Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

ABS Activating at low speeds under 10mph

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 05:56 PM
alio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ABS Activating at low speeds under 10mph

I have a 2006 Z Touring and my ABS kicks in during smooth stopping at 10mph and less on dry pavement. Anyone have any ideas on what may be the cause
I have 30k on the car and my front breaks are at 70% and the rear is at 40% the rotors aren't warped either... I'm taking it in to the dealer on Friday but i want to have an idea before I take it in...
Old 11-14-2007, 07:43 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It could be a number of things but I would put my money on it just being a faulty abs system. As far as I know TCS or VDC can't trigger this. Good call taking it to the dealer.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:16 AM
jdepe

you should try checkin your brake fluid, it might be low. i remember my brake, vdc, and slip light was coming because my brake fluid was low.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:26 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, i know how the ABS system is supposed to work, but doesn't it work full time? i mean if you slam the brakes the ABS will shake the hell out of your foot. But even if a light application you should still feel a slight pulsing of the ABS a bit. I would be worried if i didn't feel a thing.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:07 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by Z04
hmm, i know how the ABS system is supposed to work, but doesn't it work full time? i mean if you slam the brakes the ABS will shake the hell out of your foot. But even if a light application you should still feel a slight pulsing of the ABS a bit. I would be worried if i didn't feel a thing.
You should only feel pulsing if the sensor sees a wheel has stoped moving, but the car is still in motion. At which point it should release the brake on that wheel(s) and then apply it again. This happens quickly, vice the pulsing. During normal braking you wont feel any pulsing, and it would feel no different then a car without abs.

I had this same issue with my TT. Theres a little slotted rotor on the back of our hubs. On the rear wheels it's near the pumpkin, and you can clearly see it if you crawl under the rear of your car and look where the shafts go into the pumpkin. I had some dirt get in the little holes, so everytime that part of the slotted wheel went trough the ABS sensor it cut off the signal thinking that wheel had stopped. It was such a minute amount of dirt, it only noticed it at really slow speeds. (under 10mph) And that's when it would kick in the ABS for seemingly no reason, yet the system was technically still doing what it's told to do, so i didn't get an error. Other then the ESP light flashing. (Same as slip light on the Z) So my suggestion is to take a few mins, maybe get some canned air, and blow out those little slotted disks. You'll prob have to take your wheels off to get to the ones at the front, but the rear is just a matter of jacking the car up enough you can slide under the pumpkin. Also ensure the sensors on those disks are plugged in tightly. Perhaps one is a little loose, and low speed vibration could be causing it to intermittently loose contact?

Good luck man!!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:36 PM
alio

Originally Posted by jdepe
you should try checkin your brake fluid, it might be low. i remember my brake, vdc, and slip light was coming because my brake fluid was low.
I've checked all fluids, breaks pads and roters. I'm also getting no abs or vdc light coming on because of it so the system looks like its fine. The only thing I remember that may have been a cause is that I had my emergency break tightened the last time I took it in for service but I doubt that would be the cause.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:39 PM
alio

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by halfass872
You should only feel pulsing if the sensor sees a wheel has stoped moving, but the car is still in motion. At which point it should release the brake on that wheel(s) and then apply it again. This happens quickly, vice the pulsing. During normal braking you wont feel any pulsing, and it would feel no different then a car without abs.

I had this same issue with my TT. Theres a little slotted rotor on the back of our hubs. On the rear wheels it's near the pumpkin, and you can clearly see it if you crawl under the rear of your car and look where the shafts go into the pumpkin. I had some dirt get in the little holes, so everytime that part of the slotted wheel went trough the ABS sensor it cut off the signal thinking that wheel had stopped. It was such a minute amount of dirt, it only noticed it at really slow speeds. (under 10mph) And that's when it would kick in the ABS for seemingly no reason, yet the system was technically still doing what it's told to do, so i didn't get an error. Other then the ESP light flashing. (Same as slip light on the Z) So my suggestion is to take a few mins, maybe get some canned air, and blow out those little slotted disks. You'll prob have to take your wheels off to get to the ones at the front, but the rear is just a matter of jacking the car up enough you can slide under the pumpkin. Also ensure the sensors on those disks are plugged in tightly. Perhaps one is a little loose, and low speed vibration could be causing it to intermittently loose contact?

Good luck man!!

Thanks for the advice... I'll put it up this weekend and check out the sensors and the slotted disks...
I'll post an update on friday
Old 11-26-2007, 08:54 PM
alio

Thumbs up ABS issue resolved

So I took the car in to the dealer to have it looked at and when they put it up and hooked it up to the sensor they found a small shard of metal stuck in the wheel bearing which was the cause for the ABS going off at low speeds.
Thank god it wasn't anything serious.

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions
Old 11-27-2007, 10:13 AM
halfass872

Good to hear!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:21 AM
redlude97

Brakes
Old 11-27-2007, 03:33 PM
BrickyardBomber

Did you reslove this problem I am having the same exact issue with my Z ... 03' 45k miles front rotors below minimum thickness dealer stated however no warpage was found and pads still had life left? ABS engages even prior to braking you can hear the "buzz" of the system trying to work and this is all happening on dry pavement. ABS engages everytime during slow breaking on dry roads someone please help I have done a lot of searches and found some good info... currently the wheels and tires are all the same size and width (new ones ordered), I'm hoping correcting the wheels with a proper balancing and alignment that it might resolve itslef? Any other suggestions for this ABS problem its sooooooo annoying on a daily basis. I took it into the dealer and they pulled a code for an ABS sensor failure replaced the sensor (350.00) in order for them to be able to continue diagnosing however I haven't brought the car back yet again for them to inspect it... At first the ABS light was coming on everytime the system started to engage then they replaced this sensor and the ABS light doen't come on any more but the system still engages each time I brake!
Old 11-27-2007, 03:35 PM
BrickyardBomber

I just want to avoid the run around one can get (replacing one thing at a time till it goes away, along with every cent in my pocket), trying to fix a problem through the dealer.

Thanks everyone,

Alex
Old 11-28-2007, 04:19 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrickyardBomber
Did you reslove this problem I am having the same exact issue with my Z ... 03' 45k miles front rotors below minimum thickness dealer stated however no warpage was found and pads still had life left? ABS engages even prior to braking you can hear the "buzz" of the system trying to work and this is all happening on dry pavement. ABS engages everytime during slow breaking on dry roads someone please help I have done a lot of searches and found some good info... currently the wheels and tires are all the same size and width (new ones ordered), I'm hoping correcting the wheels with a proper balancing and alignment that it might resolve itslef? Any other suggestions for this ABS problem its sooooooo annoying on a daily basis. I took it into the dealer and they pulled a code for an ABS sensor failure replaced the sensor (350.00) in order for them to be able to continue diagnosing however I haven't brought the car back yet again for them to inspect it... At first the ABS light was coming on everytime the system started to engage then they replaced this sensor and the ABS light doen't come on any more but the system still engages each time I brake!
see post #8
Old 11-28-2007, 06:13 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by Z04
see post #8
+1

I hate when people don't take the time to read the whole thread!!! Sometimes i think it's just an excuse to put in their two cents!!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:12 AM
edvy

one of my customer here using wrong size of tire that cuz the problem. he put on 245/45r18 n 275/35r18 . apperently the rear tires are smaller than the front tire. the vdc computer thought the rear tires are slipping cuz of the faster rev from rear tires, so it kicks in the traction control.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:55 AM
BrickyardBomber

Originally Posted by halfass872
+1

I hate when people don't take the time to read the whole thread!!! Sometimes i think it's just an excuse to put in their two cents!!
well post #8 helps somewhat but I still thought it couldn't hurt to ask again in case someone new to this issue has a different resolution... Thanks for your input everyone