Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

painting calipers question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 06:09 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts
Default painting calipers question

Ok so my calipers will be off the car for painting. My question is, ive heard horror stories about how paint+brake pistons=bad thing. Is thi true? If it is, any idea as to how to paint the calipers without getting paint on the pistons or seals? I will be using cheap rattle cans. Thanks for the advice fellows.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:32 PM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

I've never been a fan of rattle cans, if you want to paint them I would recommend g2 paint, you can get it from tirerack, it will look 10X better than any rattle can. It's easier to do as it is brushed on, I've always used that paint on my cars.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:34 PM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

If you must use a spray, just mask the inside of the calipers very good and only paint the outside.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:34 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
I've never been a fan of rattle cans, if you want to paint them I would recommend g2 paint, you can get it from tirerack, it will look 10X better than any rattle can. It's easier to do as it is brushed on, I've always used that paint on my cars.
i was going to go with the g2 but i heard that it dries in about 4 hours or so. thats why i decided on rattle cans. i like to take my time and let paint dries completly in between coat. i dont want to have a timer and feel rushed.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:44 AM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Until you can upgrade your brakes I'd go with a well done paint job on the stocks because they are plain ugly; I had a metalic gold on my stocks for about 2 years and I liked it much better than unpainted.

However, the new brake kit (akebono) 40th anniversary red looks so nice, not to mention the bigger drilled/slotted rotors.

Anyway, clean them up well pre-painting and take advantage of having them off to do a nice job. One thing that I did is after a couple good coats of the metalic gold paint (bought at ACE; have some good options there) is put a couple of good clear coats also; works out pretty well. One more thing, I just brushed my paint on using a couple of sizes of small model type brushes, even some disposable cheap small foam type worked too. Just need a small size can of paint, drop a couple of marbles, etc. in can to rattle around and mix it well especially when using the metalic particle type paints, then any future touch ups just shake the can well and ready to go.

Last edited by BigBlue; 01-06-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:33 PM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Until you can upgrade your brakes I'd go with a well done paint job on the stocks because they are plain ugly; I had a metalic gold on my stocks for about 2 years and I liked it much better than unpainted.

However, the new brake kit (akebono) 40th anniversary red looks so nice, not to mention the bigger drilled/slotted rotors.

Anyway, clean them up well pre-painting and take advantage of having them off to do a nice job. One thing that I did is after a couple good coats of the metalic gold paint (bought at ACE; have some good options there) is put a couple of good clear coats also; works out pretty well. One more thing, I just brushed my paint on using a couple of sizes of small model type brushes, even some disposable cheap small foam type worked too. Just need a small size can of paint, drop a couple of marbles, etc. in can to rattle around and mix it well especially when using the metalic particle type paints, then any future touch ups just shake the can well and ready to go.

these are upgraded bbk kit.