Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

rear camber/toe alignment problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 03:13 PM
ohmicide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear camber/toe alignment problem

I've been having an alignment problem that is destroying my rear tires but I can't get a clear answer as to what needs to be fixed

(tl;dr at the bottom)

I knew there was something off in my alignment for a while, passenger side rear looked like it had a tiny bit of positive camber but my tires lasted for half a year including a 1500 drive from South Florida to Austin, Texas

then late December last year I noticed the driver side rear tire was down to the metal, so I got two new tires and an alignment at NTB which left me with this

I was told the toe bushing on the passenger side was cracked, but didn't specify which one exactly (frame bracket or knuckle) and since my first set of tires lasted me more than 2000 miles I decided to take it easy on the throttle and save up until I could get new camber arms and knuckle bushings

fast forward a month and a half aaaand

RIP my brand new tire

so I threw in my donut, destroyed that, threw in my old passenger side tire and that's what I'm riding with now

I had our new mechanic take a look at my bushings to tell me which ones I needed to replace, told me the passenger side toe/camber and radius arm knuckle bushings and the bearing needed to be replaced.. which I'm confused about because the bushings looks okay and the bearing doesn't make any noise or have a lot of play

during that check I also noticed my read passenger side was almost done, so that's awesome

I was about to buy all the bushings and bearing yesterday but then decided to go to NTB again today to get a second opinion since I do have half a year of alignments and was told the toe/camber adjustment problem is actually in the toe/camber arm which is missing a washer (which I would have loved to know before.. like sometime around the time when I bought the car at that giant dodge dealership or when I had my whole suspension checked by Nissan... but that's too much to ask apparently) and has damaged the frame bracket a bit

he was able to do a better job at aligning my car but I was still left with this

(tl;dr)

looking at the last alignment report, would something like the SPC 72050 Rear Camber Arm Kit solve the problem? would I need to install the extended toe bolt and drill the brackets?
Old 03-12-2015, 03:58 PM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

What suspension do you have?
Old 03-12-2015, 04:28 PM
ohmicide

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
What suspension do you have?
all stock
Old 03-12-2015, 11:48 PM
ohmicide

going back to NTB tomorrow to make sure that they didn't forget to adjust the toe with the spring bucket because I am almost 100% they never touched it
Old 03-13-2015, 05:32 PM
ohmicide

went back in today, I was right about the spring bucket but it had already been adjusted it all the way, also threw in the missing eccentric washer but that didn't make much of a difference

could be anything at this point but I'm going to get the frame checked first, if there's nothing wrong with it then I'll get the SPC camber arms and hope that fixes the problem

Last edited by ohmicide; 03-13-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:06 PM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

The camber arm isn't going to help, you would have to set the camber way negative to correct that. Check out your radius rods and upper control arms.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:34 PM
ohmicide

took it to a local body shop and they told me the frame isn't bent but the knuckle is, hopefully that solves all the issues

also, my steering wheel is now completely straight for the first time since I bought the car, something NTB couldn't get right after 3 alignments