Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Did i beat a squeel into my rear brake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 08:40 AM
szymonf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did i beat a squeel into my rear brake?

Hey guys,

I have been doing some searching but cant find the solution to this, maybe typing it wrong - so if you know its been asked just tell me to search lol

installed stoptech slotted and hawk hps the other day, had some intial squeal figured that was normal - and actually a bit of a grinding noise.

After bed in, the grinding went away, but it looked like the anti-rattle clip popped out ( I was pretty thorough with re install of everything so I know nothing else came out, this one was a particular SOB to get back in. I am abit surprised it came out and embarrassed, but I know that the rest is all good). I bought a replacement kit and installed last night
I still have a constant squeal coming from my left rear wheel more noticeable at low speed. Sounds very tinny. - I don't get a lot of time to work on this so I was hoping to figure it out before I jacked the car up

When I was taking off the left rear rotor it was jammed pretty good so I took a hammer to them. Found out that I didn't release the E brake and so I released it and they popped off

could this cause a squeal? Maybe I messed the E brake springs up with the hammer because I hit them when they were engaged?

Also, it is hard to tell with car down, could the only other option be that the heat shield is bent - it doesn't seem like it is but I figure its possible and seems to come up frequently...

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Car is going up for lines and fluid on Sunday probably so ill try to take care of it then..

all responses appreciated. many reps for you.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:02 AM
zerofighter

Does it squeal only when you are on your brakes? because that would rule out the fact that its the heat shield. The heat shield will be a constant rub.

with race pads my brakes are on and off. Sometimes they will squeal and other times they will not.

yours however being a street pad Im pretty sure they shouldnt squeal, also the fact that it is only coming from one side. If it were me I would check to see if the side thats squealing isnt clamping down on the brakes all the time (check the difference in rotor temps, you can just hover your hand over both left and right rear rotors after a drive to see if the side thats squealing is full time clamping), and if its not, just fix the shims and drive around with that squeal. Unless your prepared to replace your whole ebrake assembly to attempt to fix the noise.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:30 AM
szymonf

it is constant, and sounds like it pulsates a bit. If I drive by cars I can hear it almost as if it is hitting certain spots. like a shhh shing shhhh shing shhhh shing so that's what led me to consider that it is the heat shield.

I don't mind if it was during braking, but its even at low speed coast

I will check the heat by hand and see what comes up. maybe one side is clamping bit or I need to pull the pads apart and regrease the shims. I thought I did a through job on that though.

Is the whole ebrake assembly pretty costly? aka lammmme. lol
Thanks for your answer
Old 03-24-2015, 01:38 PM
szymonf

update ....
didn't loosen the ebrake enough, was rubbing on the rotor hat..