Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

New Hawk High Perf Street Race

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 09:07 PM
JBJ

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default New Hawk High Perf Street Race

Has anybody tried the new Hawk High Performance Street Race pads? According to their website, they are good up to 1200 degrees. Seems better than the HPS and the HP+, which I have little desire to try after reading all the feedback on them from guys who track their car.

I'm going to be using my (new to me) Track Edition for HPDE's this summer and have done so much research that I'm back to being lost on what pads to get. But these look pretty good.

http://www.hawkperformance.com/perfo...ce-street-race

Anybody tried them yet? Thanks.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:17 AM
2000atlanticgt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have not tried them, give the a try and let us know what you think.

I ran a couple sets of StopTech Street Performance pads before switching to Carbotech XP 10/8, then changing again to Carbotech XP12/10 before finding the pads I like the best (so far). The StopTech street performance pads worked well at first but as I got more experience they were operating outside of the effective temp range so I changed to the Carbotechs. I still run the STopTech pads on the street.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:48 AM
JBJ

I think I might do that. I know once I get faster and switch to stickier tires, I'll need to step up to the 10/8 combo. That certainly seems to be a good set up once the speeds come up.

Well, I can't find them for the fronts. So scratch that idea.

Last edited by JBJ; 05-02-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:51 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

You need to re-evaluate the pad stagger if you get Carbotechs. I have done it with several of their compounds, I know Carbotech may even recommend it sometimes. But I highly recommend even compound F to R on the Z. You will get longer front pad life, and I haven't seen any benefit to moving the brake bias forward. You (and your wallet) will want longer pad life with the Carbotechs, trust me.

At that temp range they are in the XP8 category (XP8 rated to 1250 iirc, but dont forget its a curve not a dropoff so the number itself doesn't tell the whole story). Don't know how the curve or Mu compares which is also important, and price.

Since it sounds like you are regular street tires you are looking in the correct class of pads.

Last edited by guitman32; 05-04-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:41 AM
JBJ

Originally Posted by guitman32
You need to re-evaluate the pad stagger if you get Carbotechs. I have done it with several of their compounds, I know Carbotech may even recommend it sometimes. But I highly recommend even compound F to R on the Z. You will get longer front pad life, and I haven't seen any benefit to moving the brake bias forward. You (and your wallet) will want longer pad life with the Carbotechs, trust me.

At that temp range they are in the XP8 category (XP8 rated to 1250 iirc, but dont forget its a curve not a dropoff so the number itself doesn't tell the whole story). Don't know how the curve or Mu compares which is also important, and price.

Since it sounds like you are regular street tires you are looking in the correct class of pads.
Thanks man. I am running the Pilot Super Sports. I've been thinking about just using the 8's as well. I will probably swap pads out the night before heading to the track and run some Stoptechs for daily driving. I'm not to worried about life of the pads. Spending money is just part of the deal when racing. But swapping them out will certainly extend the life of the pads.

It's amazing how much harder on things the track is compared to even the most spirited street driving.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:18 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Swapping them out definitely is part of the deal, but the Carbotech lifecycle is eyepoppingly shorter than other options (depending on your skill, setup, and local tracks of course). When your skill level and tires get there, and you have gone through the Carbotech buyers club a few times, send me a PM and let me know if I was ballpark

Also, dont forget to get them through a local race shop, you should save at least 10% and support your local businesses. They may even have some feedback for you. Also, developing rapport with a local race shop is a good thing in case you are ever in a bind.