Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Uneven braking between driver side and passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:16 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts
Default Uneven braking between driver side and passenger side

I just completed a 900 mile trip in my Z and a noticed a huge difference in brake dust build up between the driver side front and passenger side front wheels. Both were spotless to start, but by the end, the driver side had at least twice as much brake dust as the passenger side.

The passenger front and both rears had what you would expect, while the driver front was heavily coated. The car tracks perfectly straight, so I don't think the caliper is sticking, but what could be making the driver side work so much harder?

The car has brand new brake fluid as of this past spring. It's a 2007 350z with the akebono brakes all around and centric posiquiet pads. I have no idea how long I could have had this problem because before this weekend, I've never gone more than a couple hundred miles between washes, so it's never had a chance to build up enough to make the different apparent.

Any ideas what could be going on?
Old 11-16-2015, 09:17 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

It may not be that a piston(s) is/are sticking in the caliper, but one of the brake pads may be hanging up slightly so it's always dragging the rotor a bit. I always use a small amount of graphite anti-sieze compound on the edges of the pads and on the pad guides (if the Akebono's have the same type the Brembo's do). Pull the pads and see how each is worn, and that will be your indicator.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:53 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Agreed- you need to pull the pads on the LF and inspect them carefully. The wear pattern will tell the story and you should inspect both inner and outer pads to determine which one (or both) are getting hung up. It may also be necessary to replace the pads or the rotors if an abnormal pattern has been worn into one side.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:34 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. So assuming one or both of the driver side pads are getting hung up against the rotor, after replacing the pads what would my course of action be to prevent the problem? Lubricating the guide pins and the part of the pad plate that contacts the pins?
Old 11-17-2015, 05:02 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I like to put a little stripe of anti-sieze compound on the parallel edges of each pad - see the arrows I added:

Old 11-17-2015, 07:15 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by Phenom
Thanks for the feedback. So assuming one or both of the driver side pads are getting hung up against the rotor, after replacing the pads what would my course of action be to prevent the problem? Lubricating the guide pins and the part of the pad plate that contacts the pins?
You should carefully inspect both pistons and make sure they are properly aligned. If one is cocked, you may need to rebuild the caliper and put in new seals and dust boots. There's a DIY in the brake section on this.