Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Rust Ring on StopTech Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 01:38 PM
D1PL0M4TT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust Ring on StopTech Rotors

Hello all!
My name is Matt. I bought my 03 350 in May, bone stock, and i have already put over 13,000 miles on her in 6 months! Safe to say i am satisfied with my car purchase.

I got the opportunity to switch rotors this past month. I reckon I should have done a more thorough study. I decided i like the look of slotted/drilled (i know that it is more for appearance than performance) so i pulled the trigger on StopTech drilled/slotted rotors, StopTech street pads, ST fluid and SS lines.

The vehicle is braking good enough, and the rotors looked great. For about a day. After a few days i started to notice a solid quarter inch of rust accumulating around the non-brake pad contact area of the rotor so i know it won't just "come off" after some driving as some places stated. What i am wondering, since i assume this isn't technically a defective unit and i can't return it unless for store credit, is that would you guys advise painting this area? I have read mixed reviews on this process and to be honest i am a little upset since i purchased these with the idea that they could hold me off until i could afford a BBK or find a nice used set of Brembos but if they rust like hell and look like crap i do not want them. I understand some rust is normal but it is painfully obvious on the fronts, not to mention I very recently bought them. This is a problem i wouldn't mind after a couple years of owning, not weeks. I am a guy that pays close attention to detail so this is something that bothers me.

What is yall's experience with StopTech rotors, are they notorious for this? I do not want something that may snap in a year from now but these items are nonreturnable unless for store credit. What would you folks do in my shoes: trade in for a different set of rotors, fix/paint them, or simply suck it up and accept my poor decision in rotors? I am open to painting them, if safe and acceptable, does any one know of professional, trusted places in Marietta/Atlanta??

Thank you for your time,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails Rust Ring on StopTech Rotors-st-rotors.jpg  
Old 12-08-2016, 04:58 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Hi Matt, congratz and welcome!
I have the Stop-tech drilled/slotted on my '06 ZR. It's actually pretty common to have some rust inside the friction area, look at a good variety of cars in a parking lot, and you'll see what I'm saying.

More to your point about appearance. I personally wouldn't pay someone to solve this cosmetic problem, assuming you installed them. You can wire-brush with a drill, sand or Dremel to remove the rust, mask, prime and spray flat black over the area.

Good luck with your project, and post up pics of your success!
Old 12-08-2016, 05:27 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by jhc
Hi Matt, congratz and welcome!
I have the Stop-tech drilled/slotted on my '06 ZR. It's actually pretty common to have some rust inside the friction area, look at a good variety of cars in a parking lot, and you'll see what I'm saying.

More to your point about appearance. I personally wouldn't pay someone to solve this cosmetic problem, assuming you installed them. You can wire-brush with a drill, sand or Dremel to remove the rust, mask, prime and spray flat black over the area.

Good luck with your project, and post up pics of your success!
^^^ This.

Only add: use VHT paint and yer good.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:36 PM
tampa_joey

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

or- since you intend to upgrade the calipers to big ones at some soon to be near future date--- leave the rust---and if anyone asks- tell them you are leaving it to improve future gripping power.... (and save yourself the whole sanding,masking,priming and painting)