Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Review: Sway Bars by Top Speed Auto

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 11:38 AM
timsam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review: Sway Bars by Top Speed Auto

Original Post

Let me first start off with the statement that I am in no way an expert at performance and testing (or anything for that fact)...just volunteered, so enjoy.

Installed: 09/30/2008

Lookie what I got in!!!

Order was put in on Monday and I got it delivered to my door on Tuesday via UPS!

Initial Reaction: They were wrapped and shipped very secure and protected. Package contained the front and rear bars and a piece of paper that I'm assuming are instructions (but it was written entirely in Japanese). The sway bars looked great and felt solid.

Installation: Pretty simple and straight forward (roughly 30min – 1hour). I used my service manual as reference.

-Rear…remove two beauty covers. Then remove the connection to the “Stabilizer Connecting Rod” (location-red arrow), the remove the nuts on the “Stabilizer Bushing and Stabilizer Clamp”(location-green circle). Do this on both the left and right side. Then you can just slide the Rear Sway Bar (Stabilizer Bar) out.

Remove the “Stabilizer Bushing and Stabilizer Clamp” from the OEM bar and install it on the New Bar. (NOTE: the bushing will not close completely since the new bar is roughly 1 mm thicker).

Then just reinstall the New Bar and be sure to correctly torque the “Stabilizer Clamp” and the connection to the “Stabilizer Connect Rod”. Also reinstall the beauty covers and you are done with the rear.

-Front…remove the front tray and the two side pieces of plastic that are near the “Stabilizer Clamp” Then remove the connection to the “Stabilizer Connecting Rod” (location-red arrow). However you will need to remove the Stabilizer Connection Rod completely (top and bottom) to slide it off of the Sway Bar. Then remove the nut and 3 bolts on the “Stabilizer Bushing and Stabilizer Clamp”(location-green circle). Do this on both the left and right side. (BEWARE THAT IT WILL DROP ON YOU IF YOU ARENT HOLDING IT UP) so carefully drop the Front Sway Bar (Stabilizer Bar) out.

Just like the rear, Remove the “Stabilizer Bushing and Stabilizer Clamp” from the OEM bar and install it on the New Bar.

Then just reinstall the New Bar. There are two different holes for stiffness settings. I assumed the ones closer into the bar are stiffer…so I chose that one. I found this picture on the "instruction" sheet included:

So my assumption is that the first hole is 20% stiffer and the second hole is 37% stiffer.

The ”Stabilizer Clamp’s” installation has its own pattern.:
“Tighten each bolt and nut as shown in the figure for tightening the stabilizer clamp. Tightening order is as follows.
2 (temporarily tighten) → 3 (temporarily tighten) → 2 (fully tighten) → 3 (fully tighten) → 4, 5 (temporarily tighten) → 4, 5 (fully tighten).” (ignore bolt 1, you don’t need to mess with it).

Be sure to correctly torque the “Stabilizer Clamp” and the connection to the “Stabilizer Connecting Rod” (top and bottom).

Also reinstall all three beauty covers and you are done with the front.

So overall, pretty simple. This was done pretty late at night so I haven’t had the chance to test drive. That will be coming up!

General Comments: Wish there were instructions in English, and that it had more specs on the differences between OEM. Cause honestly the only difference I could tell was that the rear is approximately 1 mm thicker, and that they weighed just a little bit more than OEM. So I have no idea on the exact specs and the difference of stiffness with the two stiffness positions in the front. Oh and they are a nice color of Blue!!!

Also, I was hoping there would be new “Stabilizer Bushings”, especially since the rear is thicker.

Test Drive coming soon….I'll be testing this setup on the 2.9 mile road course at Texas World Speedway this weekend!

Test: 10/04/2008

So…

I think the car drives a lot better. When I took my first turn I definitely could tell a difference. With the sway bars, the turning is more tight and feels good. The ride quality is still the same, it hasn’t gotten any stiffer, from what I can tell.

Out on the track I could tell there is less body ‘sway’ (or body roll) than before. So that is always good.

Overall, these sways bars have been a very good purchase. Simple Install, and noticeable difference in turning and body roll.

Two Thumbs Up!!! :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup:
Old 10-14-2008, 12:01 PM
raf84ny

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thnak you for taking time and posting the review of the product. Well done!
Old 10-14-2008, 12:34 PM
moog

Thanks for taking the time to write this up Tim. The guys at Top Speed appreciate your contributions.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:12 PM
moog

bump!