Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

What should you get when ordering a car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 04:50 PM
jerryp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aonyoung
i live in pleasant hill,ca. i just bought mine yesterday. i bought it in oakland (connell nissan). they also did say the same thing. they said that they couldn't do anything until they have the VIN number of the vehicle. and they told me that they will contact me and do the paperwork in 3 or 4 days until they got the VIN number of the car.
Actually i am kind of afraid too right now...
By "just bought it" do you mean you gave them $500 and asked them to order you one?
Old 02-28-2007, 05:02 PM
aonyoung

yep, and actually i put the deposit not $500 but $1000
Old 02-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by jerryp
Hey ZDRIVER - If you don't mind me asking, which dealer did you end up going through and were you/are you happy? I'm in the Bay Area too so I thought I'd ask your opinion on the area dealers.
Hayward Nissan and Magessen Nissan (Fremont)... They both have new owners now. Magessen is called Superior Nissan in Fremont and they have been great with my service needs. They have a bunch of dealerships and have really been trying to win my business.

I would call their Internet / Fleet Manager and offer $600 under invoice. I'd expect $300 under invoice and figure it was a good deal. Do not let them charge you for advertising fees. But, If can figure a way out of the destination charge let me know. So what you have is right at invoice when you figure it out using kbb. You'll note below shows the destination charges.

Pricing Detail & Required Minimum Equipment
Invoice MSRP New Car Value
Base Price $25,860.00 $27,650.00 $26,872.00

Destination Charge 615.00 615.00 Incl.

Price With Destination Charge and Required Equipment $26,475.00 $28,265.00 $26,872.00

Good luck.... Your purchase goes a lot smoother when you deal with the internet manager and have a price on what you want BEFORE you walk in the door.

If this dealer doesn't do it for you. Try some of the dealers up in Roseville Area. I have found good deal their as well.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by Lsmith9523
ZDriver,,,,paying a deposit as such is best with a CC as you did...You always have 60days to dispute any charge. I would use that as a tool with the dealership. If I were you,,,I would sit them down,,explain how I feel and ask them to please provide proof of order,,options, ect. ect. make sure the nego. price is listed. And in a polite, professional way,,,say if all things are not exact as listed,,,you would like your deposit back and go elsewhere...

If they say "sorry about your deposit",,,then mention, you will just dispute it with your CC company. Watch how quick the dealership comes around...LOL Trust me,,,I had a similar situation when I ordered my Nissan Titan three years ago.
Great point !!! .... and the dealer I bought from let me put $5000 on my Credit Card and the rest by personal check. That way, I was able to get some reward points on my CC and 4% on the $5K for another month or so.
Not much, but it all adds up.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 02-28-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by jerryp
By "just bought it" do you mean you gave them $500 and asked them to order you one?
I figure the answer will be yes. Because, if he bought it and they knew where the car was. You'd have a Vin # and a contract. They want to lock you as soon as they can. They do have to have a Vin # to go that far.

This is earnest cash. Good faith money. Generally, they do not cash that check until they have a contract signed to send to the bank.

If paying cash and you have a car identified (Vin #) on a contract... Use your CC for deposit of $500-1000. Tell them when the car shows up on the day of delivery you'll have the check/cash for the rest.

Loans - Can be a little different. You might give $500 then pay the rest of the down on the day you pick the car up and/or before the loan has been approved.

Just some pointers. There are a lot of variations to this. If you credit rating is low they will ask for more of a deposit sometime. Those are the little parts you have to work out.

It is always best to get prequalified before you go in to buy a car if you are planning to get a loan for the car. Credit Union have good rates ... so look at those.

For some of you this is second nature ... For some it's a good start.

Hope I don't sound to straight ... Bought a lot of cars ... Dad was Ford Exec.

Enjoy the ride....
Old 02-28-2007, 08:40 PM
aonyoung

What should you get when ordering a car?-image.jpgi only got this and the receipt for the deposit

is it safe? cause other than this they gave me nothing

what do u guys think?
Old 03-02-2007, 06:56 AM
Barmats

All it takes to sour a deal from a good or reputable dealership is one person. If the salesman you're working with screwed up, you may end up waiting for who knows how long only to receive something other than what you ordered. This would be okay if you get more for the same $, but that's an unlikely scenario. Even if the dealer screwed up.

They should be able to provide some indication of what you ordered, even if it's typed up on their letterhead and signed by your salesperson. It's not the fact that your deposit can be returned -- it's the principle of receiving what you're told you will get. And with car dealerships, that doesn't always happen. If they screw up, you'll have to start this whole process all over again.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by Barmats
All it takes to sour a deal from a good or reputable dealership is one person. If the salesman you're working with screwed up, you may end up waiting for who knows how long only to receive something other than what you ordered. This would be okay if you get more for the same $, but that's an unlikely scenario. Even if the dealer screwed up.

They should be able to provide some indication of what you ordered, even if it's typed up on their letterhead and signed by your salesperson. It's not the fact that your deposit can be returned -- it's the principle of receiving what you're told you will get. And with car dealerships, that doesn't always happen. If they screw up, you'll have to start this whole process all over again.
Yes, I agree. You should attempt to get at least an email with the items and a price quote from the dealership. They would at least have to give me that before I'd lay down my hard cash on the table. However, aonyoung shoud be OK with what he has to prove his money has been taken. The only question now is when will he get his new car (thinking positive). The flip slide is that the dealership will have to return his deposit in a reasonable amount of time (That might be 2-3 months) if they can not come up with a car to fill his order. Right now I wouldn't fear so much as production is moving along at a pretty good clip and I would expect the dealer to deliver. They are in the business to make money ....So, until they deliver his car they really don't make any. I would think that in a week he should know and IF they have to order from Japan .... about 6 weeks. If they find a car locally, it might only be a week or two. That is what they try to do so that they can close the deal earlier.

However, when the Z came out I remember people waiting 6 months or more to get something even close to what they wanted. Most of those cars were true orders and were earmarked in Japan for US customers.

Good luck - Enjoy the ride ......

Last edited by Z_Driver; 03-02-2007 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:18 AM
aonyoung

the receipt they gave is just the price. they didn't write the detail like for example: touring, nismo rear deck spoiler, nav, etc. i'm afraid of those... they might later give me with no nav or other problems...
Old 03-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Barmats

I'd be concerned, too. When I paid my $500 deposit for my ZR last summer, I was given verbal assurance twice that the car was reserved for me. The next day, they called with good news/bad news. The bad news was that they sold the car to someone else. The good news was that they found another car in a different state, and it would only cost an additional $650 to bring it over on a flatbed. And no, they wouldn't pay for it.

The salesman denied everything and also lied to the sales mgr. I was quite surprised when the sales mgr gave him the benefit of the doubt and defended him. I got my deposit back and made sure they knew that I was a very influential business person in the community, and would find it very difficult to ever recommend them. I told him that if I treated my customers that way in my business, I would be out of business. I went to another dealership the next day and drove home with a new ZR.

Never assume a dealership will be honest or do the right thing. Protect yourself by getting everything in writing.

BTW, in case anyone in Minnesota is wondering, the first dealership I went to is Feldmann Imports in Bloomington. I don't recommend them.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:17 PM
aonyoung

just got back from the dealer and got this:
What should you get when ordering a car?-image.jpg
i think this is enough to prove that the deal was made...
at least i'm not worried anymore
Old 04-01-2007, 09:37 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question

Was the 350Z delivered?
Old 04-01-2007, 12:23 PM
kaizenro1

Originally Posted by Z_Driver
Hayward Nissan and Magessen Nissan (Fremont)... They both have new owners now. Magessen is called Superior Nissan in Fremont and they have been great with my service needs. They have a bunch of dealerships and have really been trying to win my business.

I would call their Internet / Fleet Manager and offer $600 under invoice. I'd expect $300 under invoice and figure it was a good deal. Do not let them charge you for advertising fees. But, If can figure a way out of the destination charge let me know. So what you have is right at invoice when you figure it out using kbb. You'll note below shows the destination charges.

Pricing Detail & Required Minimum Equipment
Invoice MSRP New Car Value
Base Price $25,860.00 $27,650.00 $26,872.00

Destination Charge 615.00 615.00 Incl.

Price With Destination Charge and Required Equipment $26,475.00 $28,265.00 $26,872.00

Good luck.... Your purchase goes a lot smoother when you deal with the internet manager and have a price on what you want BEFORE you walk in the door.

If this dealer doesn't do it for you. Try some of the dealers up in Roseville Area. I have found good deal their as well.
You mean you can Order your Z AND still haggle for invoice price (give or take a couple $)?!?!

If you don't mind, can you PM me some babysteps on doing this?

Thanks!