Notices
Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

DRAG RACE FORUM: Listen up..

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:36 AM
S8ER95Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I worry about 100mph trapping cars.. NOT. LOL

Unless he meant 1980s corvettes...then he would be on to something...
Old 11-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LMAO Karl-he's mad cuz he's not the man on the Z forums, he can stay on the other site for all I care...
Old 11-13-2007, 11:18 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
LMAO Karl-he's mad cuz he's not the man on the Z forums, he can stay on the other site for all I care...
That thread on the other site is over 5 years old. I think he's mad because his "Import Bracket Champion" Career peaked too soon. Damn shame ... he could have been a contender.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:27 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I'll give it to you, even though a hamster could make 200whp on that dyno IT READS WHAT IT READS-dont correct the numbers to simulate Dynojet. You want DJ numbers-go to a Dynojet.

You want Sea Level times, run at sea level

/thread
I could not put it any better Alberto..

Not everyone has access to a Dynojet and the same goes for a track that is close to sea lvl. I am lucky to have access to both. Im not hating on those that dont, and i do understand the frustration. But it is what it is.

Chris and I have put alot of time and effort into this list for the forum. Its not the best, but it has made alot of people go out and run their cars at the track. And thats what counts. The list has caused alot of people that normally dont care about runnning their cars at the track, get out there and do it.

There are many people that really do enjoy watching people move around on the list. And here lately it has been moving a great deal. Keep up the good work everyone!!

Im here to help anyone i can improve their time, just ask. I know i have been helped out a great deal by many people.

Todd

Last edited by ACEMAN; 02-03-2009 at 05:12 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:13 PM
SergEK

He races 16 sec cars and think he is the $hit. Serg-I dont care if Sharif said 20whp, truth is its a manufacturer claim, if you go around trusting those that says a lot about you.

Because Cosworth is known for cheap products that dont perform? Or is an F1 company with a stable of race engineers with a huge budget? Or has taken so long to develop a manifold to their very high standards?
Listen to yourself....now a dynochart from a reputable company is hokus pokus? While the details are sketchy you have little facts to DISPROVE their claim so why dont you pump your brakes until you find evidence that their claim is false? What a concept....providing proof --- they have dyno's...what do you have to discredit them? Your opinion? LMFAO

Serg-is to hard headed for his own good, this is a fawking forum to even argue for any corrections on times is weak sauce

Is wek' - sos' --- (see if you recognize that) your official stance? Sounds a little like -- boohoo....I dunno

....funniest thing is #1 guy on that list is 4000+feet ASL, and he doesnt whine like a girl like Serg who hasnt even run his car!

Again--- boosted cars dont suffer from higher elevations as do NA cars but that flys right over your head

Also funny he posts the most overinflated dyno numbers in his sig,

Overinflated to what exactly? You keep comparing two different dynos types to call mine overinflated 263 - 5% is 249.85 for a stock RevUp? WOW so overinflated...that was my baseline....such a gross exageration right.....so what do stock RevUps dyno that is inline with your opinion since mine is sooooooo inflated?

but wants to hate on guys who run ACTUAL times LOL....you are also a hater in general towards anybody's time, even V6 Mustangs!

Show me where I "hated" on anyone....everyone who looks at that mustangs slip says the same thing....I said he was prepped for launching and I posted his mod list ---- man I am such a hater for providing others with info riiiight? Give me a break

Sounds like you know what your talking about in regards to the Z but nope-you dont.

My friend who owns that particular Z (03 track) doesnt race much, had an audio setup put in and runs 19" Volks....his 60' was a 3.X and his ET was like 15.6@2700ft....my other close friend had an 03 enthus with slicks (think they were 27" ET streets) and was running 13.9's or so with 1.8 60's if I remember right....this is the same track I was running 14.0 at with 2.0 60's --- with an upper plennum, popcharger and injen dual exhaust he was slowly getting his times down to 13.6-13.7 on slicks.....he went to Sacremento since many guys were calling BS on his "I might be good for 12's" theory....he ended up running a 12.9X on slicks in decent air there from what I remember...it may have have been quicker but it was 12's as he had thought he would go given the elevation and temps we see at that track....he is a great driver and sold the Z about a year or two ago when work/home purchase took priority....he wants another Z and I believe he will get another and represent it well....I spent a long time pitting next to him, racing on the weekends and comparing slips....we had many discussions about the Z at that time (weak rods, built TT setup etc..) and he never pulled the trigger because with his track passes it was a matter of time before something went and with a TT setup it would happen quickly we figured.....he went through 3 trannys under warranty ....had he payed for them I dont think he would have been as agressive with his launches/shifting.......while it might not be "my" Z we are talking about they both are the reason I even chose to buy one....I drove them, I raced against one for fun and spent alot of time around a fanatical Nissan crew....I made my choice to buy a Z in Oct of 04 while deployed overseas....when I finally got the chance to buy one I did and have since learned even more about driving one in varying conditions.....while I havent made a pass in this car I have certainly made plenty of passes in my other cars to manage a decent run in this near stock Z......you still have yet to answer why it matters

But the trend is this-and that is that you dont know as much as you'd like us all to believe, I see that in many of your posts like the one below where you tell me that Church's dyno only reads 5% above other dyno's like you told me in this thread, BUT you also said something else that was actually right. Now apply this mentality to drag times and you can still save face.

I'll give it to you, even though a hamster could make 200whp on that dyno IT READS WHAT IT READS-dont correct the numbers to simulate Dynojet. You want DJ numbers-go to a Dynojet.

I DONT CARE ABOUT DYNO NUMBERS ---- YOU APPARENTLY DO ....does my sig include a simulated dj number? No....because I dont care...I already said I can compare my VQ to other VQ under the EXACT same conditions whereas dynojet guys have to factor in wheel/tire weight, tire drag/deflection and get a really rough idea how mods compare --- the dynapack is a much more consistent dyno and makes tuning/result comparing much easier......many of the Japanese Z tuners use dynapacks for this reason

You want Sea Level times, run at sea level ---- I dont need sea level times because they wont prove much of anything ---- I have never brought myself personally into the Z list because I am not aiming to make the list but seeing as how we use it to compare mods/trap speeds and ETs a little clarity as far as run conditions, elevation, temps would go a long way to promoting a clear picture to whomever views the list.....as it stands the list is a bunch on random runs thrown up without much claim to where or when the runs were made

As david said the runs are posted based on trust....while thats a noble thought and we may trust eachother the community I highly dount skeptical owners of non-Z's will trust random numbers under "your guess is as good as mine" conditions

The fastest guy running at 4000ft is also boosted --- do you have trouble with concepts or is it your lack of comprehension....boosted cars compress the atmo.....NA inhales whatever pressure is ambient....higher elevation = less pressure = less power

Maybe someday youll get it...probably not but maybe I give you more credit than your worth

/thread
End yourself or keep sticking your foot in your mouth
Old 11-14-2007, 04:24 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Hmm, how about... all of you shut the fuck up. The next person to talk about anything other than what the original intent of this thread was will get a nice 3 day ban.

edit-
It doesn't matter if he has a pass in his Z or not. What he said about DA is true, thus b1tching about him not having raced in a Z has no validity. What I disagree with him (and apparently the rest of you who are still yapping) was that our list should include corrected times, which IMO is a laughable idea. So, in a way, everybody was at least partially correct. Now, please

Last edited by 3hree5ive0ero; 11-14-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:48 AM
SergEK

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
Hmm, how about... all of you shut the fuck up. The next person to talk about anything other than what the original intent of this thread was will get a nice 3 day ban.

edit-
It doesn't matter if he has a pass in his Z or not. What he said about DA is true, thus b1tching about him not having raced in a Z has no validity. What I disagree with him (and apparently the rest of you who are still yapping) was that our list should include corrected times, which IMO is a laughable idea. So, in a way, everybody was at least partially correct. Now, please
Then if you wont post corrected times can you display mods/temps/location? along with the ET/Trap info

I think the more info the list can include will benefit everyone who looks at it as a measuring stick....especially the stock Z list...that one seems to catch alot of heat by people who assume the best of the best conditions....providing proof (or at least the whole picture) to maintain the lists credibitlity would go a long way IMO
Old 11-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats what the individual posts are for---->for greater detail like temp, DA, conditions, vehicle specifics-gutted or not, etc. It has already been said anymore info on that list and it will be a cluster fawk, but I dont run the list so who knows....
Old 11-16-2007, 12:12 PM
ACEMAN
Master

I like the idea.... BUT!!!

How are we suppose to get the info for the times that are already on the list. There are alot of times on there. Has anyone even taken the time to see how much work is involved in doing this.

I like you guys and all, but WOW tough to please everyone.

I like how easy the list is to read now.

You guys should be thankful that Chris and I have taken the time to keep the list up to date for you all. And bring it to you in a easy to read format.

LOVE YOU GUYS!!

Todd

Last edited by ACEMAN; 02-03-2009 at 05:12 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:25 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

No.

^+1 on what Todd (Aceman) said.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:49 PM
roast

Old thread, but I will finally bite.

We don't need adjusted times. I definitely don't like that idea either. You ran what you ran. Period. We don't need some "what if" crap cluttering up the page.

However, we DO need an extra column for the density altitude, because as any seasoned drag racer knows, it's just as relevant as the actual times themselves. It would add value to the list and wouldn't hurt the appearance of anything. It would also be simple to implement for the handful of people who are actually on top of their stuff. It would be optional, not required (the people with negative DA's and big egos definitely won't want to participate). The submitter can simply include the weather variables with their thread and calculate the DA from http://www.modulardepot.com/density.php All you would need to do is include the DA value.

If the work involved is still an issue, I would be more than happy to help.

I keep track of the DA every time I run. It's pretty simple to do and brings sanity to my times. (changing weather, adding mods, etc)

Old 01-31-2009, 01:22 AM
Nitro-Nicky

Default RE: 'Roast''s posts on weather/1/4 mile runs...

I just started a search for just that type of info. I'm actually looking for what formula's other racers have discovered driving NA engines.

I finished up my 2nd Season racing in Infinion Raceway Sports Street class. I switched cars and started using my wife's 2008 Infiniti G-37 a couple months into this last season but still managed to end the year with the number one spot in wins.
This is not an attempt for bragging. What I've run into is that other novice racers in my class have now started copying the way I do things; such as using a log book and setting the car up for consistancy rather than all out speed. What I want to do this 2009 opening season is be familiarized with weather changes and how much they affect the car. I scored a handheld weather station for Christmas and have it working. The Infinion/Sears Point Raceway apparently has the highest adjusted daily altitude swings of all the dragstrips across America.
I'm wondering if the 350 engines are running close to the same correction ratios as the G-37?

I kept records of weather shifts each run but will now have to research the corrected altitude for the entire season. Infinion sits at 17 feet above sea level. My vehicle is set up with a full tank of fuel/rear tyre pressure set at 30psi/fronts @ 40psi/automatic trans that I let shift itself/I deep stage and keep tyre spin to the bare minimum by leaving off the brakes @1500rpm.

A typical run would be like this: Last Oct. 8th- 81*/31 relative humidity/barometric pressure @29.96 all with a medium headwind throughout the afternoon & evening-
R/T = .085
60ft = 2.204
330ft = 6.061
660ft = 9.151
660mph = 78.50
1000ft ET= 11.875
1320 ET =14.084
1320mph = 100.37mph

I did probably about a dozen 13.9xx runs with a best at: 13.79

So.............. do any of you have some basic weather ratios that you're recording log info with? I'd love to hear what's been discovered. Nitro-Nicky
Old 01-31-2009, 05:46 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitro-Nicky
I just started a search for just that type of info. I'm actually looking for what formula's other racers have discovered driving NA engines.

I finished up my 2nd Season racing in Infinion Raceway Sports Street class. I switched cars and started using my wife's 2008 Infiniti G-37 a couple months into this last season but still managed to end the year with the number one spot in wins.
This is not an attempt for bragging. What I've run into is that other novice racers in my class have now started copying the way I do things; such as using a log book and setting the car up for consistancy rather than all out speed. What I want to do this 2009 opening season is be familiarized with weather changes and how much they affect the car. I scored a handheld weather station for Christmas and have it working. The Infinion/Sears Point Raceway apparently has the highest adjusted daily altitude swings of all the dragstrips across America.
I'm wondering if the 350 engines are running close to the same correction ratios as the G-37?

I kept records of weather shifts each run but will now have to research the corrected altitude for the entire season. Infinion sits at 17 feet above sea level. My vehicle is set up with a full tank of fuel/rear tyre pressure set at 30psi/fronts @ 40psi/automatic trans that I let shift itself/I deep stage and keep tyre spin to the bare minimum by leaving off the brakes @1500rpm.

A typical run would be like this: Last Oct. 8th- 81*/31 relative humidity/barometric pressure @29.96 all with a medium headwind throughout the afternoon & evening-
R/T = .085
60ft = 2.204
330ft = 6.061
660ft = 9.151
660mph = 78.50
1000ft ET= 11.875
1320 ET =14.084
1320mph = 100.37mph

So.............. do any of you have some basic weather ratios that you're recording log info with? I'd love to hear what's been discovered. Nitro-Nicky
Sorry but I don't get that scientific.

I don't care about DA during practice. If I run 13.4X or 13.9X, that tells me enough about DA. My concern is if DA is changing during the day. Some days, if I am winning, are 8 hours plus. So there may be a considerable difference in a 10 AM run and a 6 PM run.

Friends have dedicated racing cars, trailers and weather stations. I will often look at their weather station several times during the day, and make necessary adjustments.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:14 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitro-Nicky

R/T = .085
60ft = 2.204
330ft = 6.061
660ft = 9.151
660mph = 78.50
1000ft ET= 11.875
1320 ET =14.084
1320mph = 100.37mph

BTW I looked at the Infineon Raceway schedule, and don't see a Sports Street class. What's the deal?
Old 02-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Nitro-Nicky

Default Infinion dragstrip/weather influence on ET's...

Hmmm, don't know why it wasn't listed. For the Regional 7 once a month NHRA points series, Sports Street moves in with the 'Sportsman' class.
For the regular Wed night race-watcha-brung crowd, Sports Street is all vehicles less than 8 cylinders and we can't run electronix nor slicks.

I'm just not great with math as I'm plagued by Dyslexia. So I'll just have to figure out my own percentage changes with altitude/temp/humidity. The weather changes dramatically through the day/evening there. It's located in the foothills just off the San Francisco north baylands and the wind direction can switch directions in the middle of a run. We can line up for 5pm practice runs with the temp being in the high 90's at one end of the track and it can be 3-5 degrees higher/lower on the top end of the track. It can also start at 95* and end up being 53* by 8pm.

One other issue I need to start figuring out is that back to back runs get slower while an hour's time between runs can drop the time by 1-2 tenths. I've found that the twin air intakes heat soak, so I wrap them with wet towels for better consistancy. I'm pretty sure that the plastic engine cover traps a lot of the center heat coming off the block; thus the only place for the engine compartment air to go is up the sides of that bulky cover where the plastic air feed tubes are located. Anyone ever remove their cover and notice any differences in temp or performance???

I've been building up a track specific car over the past 3 years and do not wish to 'modify' the G to drastically. But I am open to ways to better performance if it comes with consistancy. If the air temps stay in the mid 70' degrees during the day and cool to the mid 60's in the evening, the car stays within a couple tenths all day long. But if it starts out hot and ends up cold, I'll start at 14.3XX and end up at 13.9XX with 2/10ths swings in between.

My old 2003 G35 was much more consistant and must have had a lower 1st gear ratio. I could easily leave off the line at idle (it was also an automatic; which is what the wife wants to drive). This new one tends to bog down at the line if I don't give it some extra rpm's. Nitro

Last edited by Nitro-Nicky; 02-02-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:41 PM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
BTW I looked at the Infineon Raceway schedule, and don't see a Sports Street class. What's the deal?
I just saw this...a little late. lol
Nitro Nick is the real deal and there is a sports street class at Infineon. It is all 4/6 cylinder cars with DOT tires and no electronic launching equipment. It is usually the largest class.