Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

oil pressure drops after a run session?

Old 09-30-2015, 12:56 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question oil pressure drops after a run session?

Hi all,

I wanted to know if others who track have experienced this? At a recent track day, after hard run sessions of 15 minutes, I would notice as we're getting off track that my oil pressure drops to about half (15 psi - ish). I didnt really pay attention during the session what the oil pressure is under heavy driving; I recall a glimps of somewhere above 60psi. After I let the car cool down a bit, the pressure slowly creeps back up, but not all the way. This happened more towards the end of the track day, and I ended up adding about 2/3 quart. The 350z oil dipstick is so crappy I couldnt get a good reading after multiple tries; oil is just all over the dipstick.

Before the trackday I had a fresh oil change with redline race oil 5w40. I have a breather kit/catch can in place because of lots of oil in my intake prior. After the oil change, oil pressure was just under 30psi.

2003 350z track, original motor, 86k miles. I've heard of the oil burning issues/recalls, but thought most of my oil loss was from the PCV blow by.

I was recommended to add an aftermarket external oil cooler. Any thoughts? thanks.

kv
Old 09-30-2015, 01:10 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 714 Likes on 492 Posts

There is a good way to check VQ35DE oil levels, here's a link:

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...il-levels.html

After a long, hot track session, oil viscocity will drop and so will your pressure. As for the oil cooler, it will help during longer summer runs at the track.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:58 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts

Sounds about normal, I usually top off once I get home and the car sits for a day.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:53 AM
apex locator

Thanks for that link...I checked my oil level this morning and its reading about 2/3 away from the L marking, closer to H. And since I added about 2/3 quart at the end of the last track day, I guess I burned about 1 quart for 1 trackday. Does that seem like alot? And actually I am running 15w40 redline race oil, not 5w40. The ambient temp that day was ~100F.

I think I will do that oil cooler before the next outing.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:20 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 714 Likes on 492 Posts

Your VQ is burning oil at a good clip. An oil cooler will help with temps, but not overall consumption.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:20 PM
apex locator

That is the sense that I have...that this motor is not as sound as it was many years ago when it did more trackdays. Perhaps I will just let it run its natural course and not drop anymore $$$ into it; I'll see how things are after a few more events. Gosh, I remember pricing out a built NA motor a few months ago and it was about 8-10k.....
Old 10-01-2015, 03:47 PM
guitman32
Professional

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

+1 normal for the oil pressure to drop slightly after a good session. As dkmura note, after adding my oil cooler the pressure stays more consistent, but still notice a slight drop after FL summer running.

Re: adding oil, always think of a quote from an old issue of Sport Compact Car (back when Dave Coleman was doing the cool tech editorials), "well, just pull up your man pants and add oil."