Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clutch / Transmission Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 07:31 AM
digitalsleeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch / Transmission Removal Question

06 G35

Does anyone know the clearance needed to remove the transmission to gain good access to the clutch assembly? Will standard floor jack and jack stands be enough room to get a low transmission stand under it and drop it down?

I had an ACT 6-puck heavy duty clutch installed at Jotech Motorsports last year. Currently, I don’t know if I have one problem or multiple. I tried bleeding the clutch, but found that when I pumped and release, the clutch stays on the floor. The reason I am bleeding the clutch is because I recently seemed to smell a faint, but present sense of the clutch burning. It seems like it could be related to the slave cylinder.

There are two other reasons why I want to drop the transmission to look at the clutch assembly.

1. I’ve also recently heard a squealing noise when (and only when) I lift off the pedal to engage the clutch; possible bearing failure? Also, at 5k-6k RPM it seems like I can hear the bearing or what sounds like bearing chattering when driving. I don't think I hear it when in neutral.

2. When going in reverse and releasing the clutch pedal, I hear a grinding noise that I don’t hear when going forward. The grinding noise gets worse if I’m backing up an incline. I’ve had this for 6 months or so and since I procrastinate I decided it would be easier to just avoid situations when I need to go in reverse. You’ll be surprised how much you can really avoid it.

I’m pretty mechanically inclined, although I have limited clutch/transmission knowledge. The last clutch (and only) I changed was 6 years ago on a Civic and other than being FWD, not much of a challenge there. Last year when I had Jotech do the clutch, I had a little money and no time. Now my wife bought a Thai restaurant a few months ago, I have even less time and no money. lol It needs to be fixed though. I think between the forums, tech guide and spaced over a week so there is no rush, I should be fine.

Last edited by digitalsleeper; 12-03-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:53 AM
ashtrojan2008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's easy just download a fsm and you're good to go. If you are doing it on the ground you'll just need a small Jack. Unbolt everything, slide transmission out, voilą.
I didn't have good luck with jotech.

Ross
Old 12-03-2010, 08:27 AM
digitalsleeper

Thanks for the reply. The reverse issue I do think is an install issue. The rest is probably because my car is pissed at me for not having the time I use to and still abusing it. lol I didn't put that clutch in there for comfort.

Two months ago the AC compressor went by making a loud clunking noise. When I stopped to figure out what the noise was, it blew out all the freon which was great since that pretty much identified the problem for me.

Two weeks later the camshaft position sensor went out, which was odd since I hadn't heard of too many of the 06 models having the issue like the older G's.

I still love the car though. Unlike my marriage, I'll put 200% effort into making it work out. lol j/k...if my wife finds this post.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:25 AM
AngelsVQ

Ur home jack stands are fine. Just lift them to te highest setting and make sure it's secure. It's not hard. Just a little time consuming