Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

URGENT input FROM those who've gone from DMF to SMF

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 06:29 AM
Steve Mack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question URGENT input FROM those who've gone from DMF to SMF

Sorry - I HAVE done a search but can't find a definitive answer BY people who've DONE it...

My clutch failed a few weeks ago on my 2003 350Z, Z33 track. I have been looking at options (none of which are cheap).
The car has 180,000kms on it, but presents as near new.

Mechanic found it did indeed still have a dual mass in it. My quandry now is; I can accept, if I have to, a TINY increase in noise at idle as I read everywhere, if I go DMF, but will this affect DRIVING SMOOTHNESS?

I am unsure whether to go with a replacement dual mass flywheel or a single mass conversion kit.

NORMALLY, at least here in Australia, it'd be an open shut case, as DMF is almost twice the price usually, however I found one (& ONLY ONE!) supplier that can give me an aftermarket DMF for roughly the same cost as most SMF conversion kits WITH new flywheel.

One of the nicest features I’ve found with this car in the 5 months I’ve owned it, IS the smooth gear change!
I really wouldn’t like to lose that, as it is one of my daily drivers, but am concerned whether another DMF would still let me do the odd traffic light race, without slipping and premature wear out?

I realise single mass is more durable, but do not want to compromise silkiness as outlined above...

I never tow anything with the car, which is stock.

URGENT input FROM those that have gone from DMF to a single on this matter please!!
I NEED to decide this weekend so we can order one.

Any advice ASAP much appreciated.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:01 AM
ocdz

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I went from the stock dual mass to a South Bend aluminum flywheel, which they advertise as 14.5 lbs. I did a master cylinder upgrade at the same time, but with a full face friction disk I don't think I lost any drive-ability. It doesn't have much chatter (if any) at 900 RPM idle. Shift are still easy and precise and I prefer that the RPM's fall faster in between shifts.

Launch requires a bit more throttle input, but not bad at all.

Just do it, you won't miss the stock flywheel at all.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:36 AM
Steve Mack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for delay - THANKS mate!

You're reply has put my mind much more at ease.