Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

camaro vs 350z daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 04:44 PM
Corvett z07

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default camaro vs 350z daily driver

I'm looking at my first 350z right now, I've been driving a 95 camaro for the past 3 years and it's become apparent that those aren't the best for driving all the time, especially in the winter. Still love the RWD platform, wouldn't mind ditching the solid axle at all however. The one I'm looking at is a 2003 touring model. Really don't know anything about these cars at all so if someone would point me to if where I'm going is good then that would be awesome. Like is a 2003 a good year, what's it like handling wise?

Another reason I posted in this section is because I'm wondering if a 350z is decent handling wise in stock form. My camaro is slightly modded in the suspension department and handles alright, and that's something I don't want to lose, I absolutely love having a car that can handle the curves without any complaints.

If I do end up getting one, I'll eventually upgrade the suspension, but not right away because I'll be paying the car off for a little while anyway. Would like to know your guys' opinions on if what I'm doing is a good decision or not. Thanks in advance
Old 03-26-2016, 05:19 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

If you cant afford to buy a 13 year old sports car with cash your probably going to kick yourself when it starts needing maintenance etc...

It should handle better then your 95 camaro even in stock vs modified form although who knows what kinda life it's had...

All years are good years, some have problems some dont you always take some changes when you get a used car, some people want a lot of money for their lemon, others want a lot of money because they babied the car and know its worth what they are asking, and others are just hoping to offload their misery.

Also the car is usable in a snowy climate but its best kept in the garage when the weather is bad... If its your only car I would look into a Subaru or anything AWD...

Nobody likes the idiot in the sports car who cant move in the snow, so if you must a good set of snow tires and you should probably manage as long as the streets are plowed...

Good luck Ft Wayne, dont buy the first one you see
Old 03-27-2016, 05:59 AM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

You will like the handling “right out of the box.” I’ve upgraded my suspension, but the gain is modest over the stock suspension. I have a 2003 Performance model that I purchased new. The car has 108k miles. Here are problems I have encountered with my 2003 350z(that seem common on this model year).

Early transmission models have synchromesh problems. Search this site for more information.
Window motors
Camshaft sensors and crankshaft sensors
Rear tailgate actuator
Seat bolsters wear out

I would rate this care as very reliable. I have spent very little on maintenance. I’m still on my original clutch. If the car is maintained properly, your biggest liability is the transmission, and many of the early 350z’s have had the transmission replaced. You can easily evaluate the transmission by simply driving the car, down shifting into lower gears (2nd through 5th).

I drive my 350z all winter in Minnesota. I mount 4 studless snow tires, and the car handles very well in snow and on ice.

The following users liked this post:
SmoothZ (04-19-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 09:10 AM
Corvett z07

I was reading up last night and yeah, the transmission was the biggest concern for me. I've never worked on a transmission so I would have no clue what I'd be doing if I were to work on it. Replacing a whole tranny wouldn't be too bad, but the guts of a transmission still boggle me.

You made a good point dboyzalter, no one likes a kid in a sports car stuck in the middle of the road when it's snowing outside. However like you said, you can make it work with good snow tires and a good driver who knows how to drive as well, you can never overlook that part either.

As far as maintenance, I can do pretty much everything myself so that brings the cost of repairs down a lot since I won't have to pay for labor. I'm looking at one later today so I'll check out the gear changes a lot during the test drive, thanks for the input so far guys
Old 03-29-2016, 04:26 AM
cashmoney03

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Z was a daily driver until about a year ago when I retired it to sunny day play toy. 03 Touring with a 107k on it. Maintenance wise not to much (knock on wood). Rear diff bushings (more of a want than a need), front control arm bushings (more of a want than a need), front strut bushings (more of a want than a need), driver seat controls, gear in passenger seat motor, front hub bearing, both window sail seals, spark plug tube seals need doing, and driver and passenger window regulators. This may all sound like a lot but save the front hub bearing none of it has been critical. Just **** wearing out.

In terms of comfort, I'd take the camaro. The Z is small and very loud inside. I don't care if it's a sports car or not, it's obnoxiously loud inside. My diesels and trucks have been quieter inside than the Z. And I've got sound deadening all over the trunk. Need to do the doors also.

Handling in this thing is just to much fun. I've got a square setup on my car (18x10 wheels with 265 tires) and it's silly how much fun I can have with this car. I can't wait to get rid of the stock shocks and get some different sway bars and go play on the track.
Spike100 (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 05:53 PM
Spike100

I agree with your comments about interior noise. I don’t know if I’ve ever been in a car or small truck that has more interior noise than the 350z. It’s awful.

I don’t know for a fact if the noise comes from the wheel wells, floor, or rear hatch area. Wherever it is, it’s very noisy. I've never owned a car this noisy.
Originally Posted by cashmoney03
My Z was a daily driver until about a year ago when I retired it to sunny day play toy. 03 Touring with a 107k on it. Maintenance wise not to much (knock on wood). Rear diff bushings (more of a want than a need), front control arm bushings (more of a want than a need), front strut bushings (more of a want than a need), driver seat controls, gear in passenger seat motor, front hub bearing, both window sail seals, spark plug tube seals need doing, and driver and passenger window regulators. This may all sound like a lot but save the front hub bearing none of it has been critical. Just **** wearing out.

In terms of comfort, I'd take the camaro. The Z is small and very loud inside. I don't care if it's a sports car or not, it's obnoxiously loud inside. My diesels and trucks have been quieter inside than the Z. And I've got sound deadening all over the trunk. Need to do the doors also.

Handling in this thing is just to much fun. I've got a square setup on my car (18x10 wheels with 265 tires) and it's silly how much fun I can have with this car. I can't wait to get rid of the stock shocks and get some different sway bars and go play on the track.

Last edited by Spike100; 03-29-2016 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:16 PM
Corvett z07

Aha ever heard of the 10 bolt whine? Rear end gets mighty loud at anything above 60, I couldn't imagine a Z being any louder.

I'd take handling>comfort any day. I need something that wakes me up in the morning versus something that lulls me back asleep while I'm driving.

Well the car I was looking at sold, I couldn't justify buying it at the mileage it had along with the price. I'll still be looking around for one within this next summer but for now it looks like I'm staying with the camaro for now at least. It's proved it's worth for the past few years so I'll keep it while it keeps me going to and from school. Thanks for all your input guys, I'll keep everything in mind if I see another one for sale in the near future
Old 03-31-2016, 02:38 PM
cashmoney03

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

10 bolt has nothing on the Z. Like I said, my diesels (straight piped cummins and fords) were quieter inside than the Z.
Spike100 (03-31-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 08:06 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

I'd try VERY hard to find an 07-08.

I'd also, personally stay away from the rev-up engines. Research oil consumption issues.

After market sways bars and coil overs made a HUGE difference in my opinion.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:44 AM
Corvett z07

I'd love to get an 07-08 however that's just out of my price range unfortunately. I've been reading up on the rev-up engines and I think I'll just stay away from them... I'm not about an extra 20-30 horses at the expense of an oil consumption monster. I'm looking for something reliable and sporty.

Sway bars for the camaro were the best mod by far, it responded very well to a big front bar so if I were to get a Z, I'd probably fix anything that needed to be fixed first, then my first mod would be bars. I don't know if they respond to bigger sway bars like the camaro does but it's the most inexpensive piece to a suspension to install and the benefits are awesome over stock.

03-04's seem to be the car I'm looking at the most, granted they're the cheapest and I'm in college so I gravitate towards those the most. We'll see what happens...
Old 04-04-2016, 07:19 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Cool

I daily drive and track my '03...

The BAD:
- Transmission replaced due to 3rd gear synchro issue. Car would grind 3rd (and 5th) on hard, fast upshifts so I replaced with CD009 out of used G35, sadly it too grinds when cold once warmed up its OK.
- Front hub bearings wore out, (common issue) replaced and all good for now.
- Random rattles, squeaks and general noise, as mentioned the Z is a loud car (lacks sound proofing) and the stock suspension is pretty stiff adding to the problem.
- Replaced crappy BOSE audio system
- Uneven front tire wear, you need to watch the alignment specs for the front end toe.
- Stock brakes can't handle track duty, car is heavy and factory rotors too small.
- A bit dicey handling in the wet conditions. Can't comment on snow because I live in Florida
- Rear strut brace limits cargo holding.
- Poor side visibility, rather large blind spots out back.

The GOOD:
- I average around 23 MPG in 70% highway / 30% city driving
- Excellent torque for a NA V6, after all it has a truck engine
- Handling is very predictable with a basis towards understeer at the limits on the track with stock tire sizes. Traction control will intervene early and often to keep you pointed in the right direction (some might see this a negative).
- Hatchback configuration easier to load then a trunk I think.
- Excellent front visibility and clean dash layout.
- Firm steering and clutch (once again some might see this a negative).
cashmoney03 (04-04-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 04:19 AM
soc_monki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spike100
I agree with your comments about interior noise. I don’t know if I’ve ever been in a car or small truck that has more interior noise than the 350z. It’s awful.

I don’t know for a fact if the noise comes from the wheel wells, floor, or rear hatch area. Wherever it is, it’s very noisy. I've never owned a car this noisy.
a lot comes from the rear hatch. aside from the trunk mat there is pretty much no sound deadening material in the rear. ive filled my trunk a few times with stuff (traveling) and having it packed full of things like clothes and bedding really makes it quieter. i actually thought something was wrong haha! got it all out and it was as loud as ever. doesnt really bother me. some dynamat would probably help though.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:27 PM
Spike100

^^ Station wagon cars are notoriously noisy, and that is because the rear wheels are inside the car, transmitting all the road noise to the car's interior. For lack of a better explanation, the 350z coupe is a "mini-station wagon."
Old 04-17-2016, 06:03 PM
Corvett z07

350z has NOTHING on the 10 bolt whine, I just spent 5 hours driving one today and it is much much quieter than my camaro. Also these things handle awesomely even in stock form (very surprised.) My camaro had Koni SA's, springs, bars, bushings, and a mild street alignment. The Z I got is completely stock and it's much more refined and controlled in the road bumps, isn't nearly as harsh either. Very impressed with these cars. Didn't know these cars existed until last year ha
SmoothZ (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 04:17 PM
Slartibartfast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kids, I swear...
cashmoney03 (04-22-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 05:45 PM
Corvett z07

Well I've been driving it now for about a month, just thought I'd give a quick update plus I gave her a first wash and I wanna show off a little So, camaro or 350z? 350z, hands down. I have to give credit to the previous owner who took really good care of it too. There's some aspects I like about the camaro, but the overall winner for me is the Z by a lot. First mod will be stock wheels with good snow tires haha.

2003 touring in brickyard, 100k

Old 05-18-2016, 06:30 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Nice... Like the enkei wheels. Stockers are a dime a dozen and you can use g35 wheels also... Or even maxima wheels, or fx35 wheels if your just sticking snow tires on them. Just maintain a stagger so your traction control stays happy. I would look for 17 inch stockers because even 245s seem a little wide for snow duty.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:57 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

what is that snow word you speak of?
Old 05-19-2016, 02:55 PM
Spike100

I like your car. Brickyard is a great color for the Z.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:00 PM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Spike100
I like your car. Brickyard is a great color for the Z.
For sure! Brickyard Red, Daytona Blue and LeMans Sunset were pretty much the only colors I would accept for a Z. Brickyard is about the rarest... you almost never see Zs in that color. With all the versions of Silver / Grey out there that seems to be the most common color I encounter. White and Black run a close second in sightings.

Quick Reply: camaro vs 350z daily driver