Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

New to this, am i making a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 12:16 PM
ZNoob93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i do plan to supercharge, hell yeah its expensive no body is going to disagree. its not going to keep me from it but for right now thats not reality for me.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:19 PM
ZNoob93

so i bought invidia exhaust and kinetix htc. i'll do the spacer now, i do want to say my main thought of doing the kinetix ssv manifold was mines ugly. is this beneficial towards me in any way?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kinetix-Raci...O8Oevw&vxp=mtr
Old 05-10-2016, 12:24 PM
ZNoob93

Old 05-10-2016, 12:26 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

Originally Posted by ZNoob93
i do plan to supercharge, hell yeah its expensive no body is going to disagree. its not going to keep me from it but for right now thats not reality for me.
you know the main reason i got rid of my Z? i finally admitted that it is not going to get any faster without dumping a ton of money into it.

one thing i would suggest, and it will make a world of difference in turns is a good diff
The following users liked this post:
ZNoob93 (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 12:36 PM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

don't get me wrong id love to supercharge but i was told id spend 5k on a kit and another 5k to install it and tune. 10k for a car i bought for 5k is a harsh decision, that's why it would be nice to just piece it together like this.
Picture your Z as a starting point. If your ok with it's performance as is then great if not then it is just a starting point.
ZNoob93 (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 12:46 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

so i bought invidia exhaust and kinetix htc. i'll do the spacer now, i do want to say my main thought of doing the kinetix ssv manifold was mines ugly. is this beneficial towards me in any way?
It sure might look better, gains... Not any more then a spacer...

It does look fine

Here stop looking for parts on ebay

https://www.z1motorsports.com/liquid...de-p-9417.html

Better off painting your plenum with high heat engine paint...

Best upgrade would be 6 speed conversion... If not just swap in a 6 speed diff and enjoy the new wacky gearing...
ZNoob93 (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 12:49 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

b2autodesigns.com is another good place, they usually do free shipping
Old 05-10-2016, 01:54 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Thmotorsports is also really good prices and free shipping.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:46 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Get nitrous.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:05 PM
ZNoob93

is there truly any difference between a 475 cai and a 200 short ram with a divider and the hole in the bumper?
Old 05-10-2016, 04:06 PM
ZNoob93

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
It sure might look better, gains... Not any more then a spacer...

It does look fine

Here stop looking for parts on ebay

https://www.z1motorsports.com/liquid...de-p-9417.html

Better off painting your plenum with high heat engine paint...

Best upgrade would be 6 speed conversion... If not just swap in a 6 speed diff and enjoy the new wacky gearing...
do adding the kinetix plenum that has the spacer made into it correct? will i still be able to put the engine cover on, i noticed yours was off?
Old 05-10-2016, 05:00 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Yeah you can put the engine cover back on if you want. I think the oem engine plastic is rather useless so I put it in my attic to collect dust.

And no intake is going to give you much of anything but will enhance the sound coming from the engine bay. The only noticeable difference I have gotten was from true dual exhaust... But that might have been because I was driving a 110hp s10 loaded down with wood for 4 months while the car sat idle.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:30 PM
ZNoob93

awesome thanks for all the help.
should i do anything else?
is there a sound difference between full cold air intakes and short rams?

Last edited by ZNoob93; 05-10-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:02 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

is there truly any difference between a 475 cai and a 200 short ram with a divider and the hole in the bumper?
The hole cut in the bumper is useless but looks cool. The CAI will make it simple to hydro lock if your area floods. That is the only difference
Old 05-10-2016, 08:22 PM
ZNoob93

okay so heres where i am now
Jim Wolf P3503-1XCN7 Pop Charger Air Intake
Invidia Dual
Kinetix Plenum
uprev
kenetix hfc

yes?
Old 05-10-2016, 08:26 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Nothing really. I remember watching a full 20 min video with a break down of the science why some specific motors/cars will utilize a short ram vs long due to the air in the tube it self and vacuum produced but on most cars its a wash for the most part. Especially on street cars...

Most choose based on look. Also most short rams are open vent and just suck in hot engine air where a long tube can be placed to suck in more fresh air. But again all car/motor dependent.

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Yeah you can put the engine cover back on if you want. I think the oem engine plastic is rather useless so I put it in my attic to collect dust.
Pretty much just to clean up the bay. When I opened up my 2015 Silverado I was amazed at all the room and he amount of useless plastic panels and covers to hide and simplify the engine bay. I couldnt even touch the block because there was too much plastic blocking my arm and im 6'2" ft with monkey arms lmao
Old 05-10-2016, 08:29 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
The hole cut in the bumper is useless but looks cool. The CAI will make it simple to hydro lock if your area floods. That is the only difference
Cant stand these annoying punk @$$ kids. But this is a decent demonstration...

I think the amount of water required to lock the motor from a flood would probably total well over most of the car anyways. The engine would probably be the last of your worries.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:10 PM
ZNoob93

not gonna lie when it make the gun shots and screams withthe ads i jumped a little. watching this make me want to do the typhoon. your killin me, so hydrolock wont be an issue? i live in oregon which if you dont know it rains a good 6-8 months out of the year. would i honestly be fine with doing the typhoon?
Old 05-10-2016, 11:50 PM
Justin100

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i have a 2005 350z DE, automatic, 106K miles please dont laugh at me for automatic, ive never been good at manual and got this car for a great deal.
everything is stock, i want some performance and also to sounds clean, but when i open the hood i want people to respect it. now im not focused on going for performance i understand that when i read 14hp gain its more like 4 but tell me if im making a mistake for buying this.

Bully Dog Triple Dog GT Platinum Tuner Programmer
Kinetix Racing Velocity Intake Manifold
Berk Technology BT1401-HFC-MET High Flow Catalytic Converters
K&N 69 Series Blue Typhoon Air Intake System
Borla True Dual Cat-Back Exhaust

please point me in the right direction. i want to put a supercharger one day but that will be a year down the road.

wanting respect from people is just like beauty in the eyes of the beholder. some people will like what you have while others wont.

it really comes down to if you are happy with what you have.

dont mod car based upon finding assurance from others. mod the car based upon what you like.

their are plenty of people who hate my car and their are plenty of people who love my car. at the end of the day as long as i am happy thats all that matters.

if i had to give you suggestions,

i would sell the z and buy a manual. i had a auto z and i converted it myself to manual bcuz of twin turbo on a built motor.

auto cannot handle crazy high tq/hp.

i would scrap all of those mods. and start modding mainly the suspension, hotchkis swaybars, powergrid endlinks, kw or koni struts/coilovers. then take out the engine and build it with carillo or pauter rods with cp pistons and acl race bearings, then put a huge 76mm single turbo kit and turn up the boost so you can hit 1300whp and run drag radials on the street with voltex wing, nismo/volks rims full screamer pipes out of the side skirts having police pull you over on every block lol.

bride gias seats, with 5 point camlock racing seat belts,

sparco steering wheel or a nrg quick release steering wheel.

get a nice body kit like jp vizage or type 7 from thezstore or nismo v2 from shine auto.

make sure the car is all black so it looks really really mean and buy the blacked out depo headlights to make it look pure evil.

make sure rims are all painted black.

get some nice painted white tire lettering
black steel threaded lug nuts dont buy aluminum threaded lugnuts those lug nuts will strip out so fast.

put red blue green neon strips on the bottom of the car waterproofed. red blue green lights on headlight mods.

hook up a 2 step rev limiter with the turbos and just let off at a light to show people that you are not to be f*ked with.

hook up some NOS since turbo will take long to spool up.

install LSD LIKE CUSCO, NISMO, KAAZ, TOMEI and inner tie rods tein for drifting in manual. this is mainly why i switched to manual because of drifting.

basically to sum it up make the car pure evil that hates everyone and everything that is just a sickened animal and has anger problems

Last edited by Justin100; 05-11-2016 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:16 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Honestly, doesn't matter what you have under the hood or frame. If you know how to drive your Z and take good care of it, people will see that. Like others have suggested, learn to drive the car first. Take it to the track, especially autoxing. You'll really appreciate the Z after a few rounds on the track. I may not have a lot of HP compared to others, but I still have fun driving it and competing with other cars.
MicVelo (05-11-2016)

Quick Reply: New to this, am i making a mistake?