Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

New to this, am i making a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 08:40 PM
ZNoob93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to this, am i making a mistake?

i have a 2005 350z DE, automatic, 106K miles please dont laugh at me for automatic, ive never been good at manual and got this car for a great deal.
everything is stock, i want some performance and also to sounds clean, but when i open the hood i want people to respect it. now im not focused on going for performance i understand that when i read 14hp gain its more like 4 but tell me if im making a mistake for buying this.

Bully Dog Triple Dog GT Platinum Tuner Programmer
Kinetix Racing Velocity Intake Manifold
Berk Technology BT1401-HFC-MET High Flow Catalytic Converters
K&N 69 Series Blue Typhoon Air Intake System
Borla True Dual Cat-Back Exhaust

please point me in the right direction. i want to put a supercharger one day but that will be a year down the road.
Attached Thumbnails New to this, am i making a mistake?-350z-programer.jpg   New to this, am i making a mistake?-350z-manifold.jpg   New to this, am i making a mistake?-350z-cats.jpg   New to this, am i making a mistake?-350z-intake.jpg   New to this, am i making a mistake?-350z-borla.jpg  

Old 05-09-2016, 09:19 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Scratch the Bully Dog tuner and go UpRev. No point in the Kinetic manifold unless your shooting for high RPM power. The intake is fine, but a Popcharger is cheaper and just as good if not better.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:34 PM
ZNoob93

when i supercharge i'll be wanting the manifold right? should i be adding anything?
Old 05-10-2016, 03:22 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

like terrasmak said, do uprev and dont use that crap plug in stuff... but it averages $700 for uprev. borla is overpriced and i think better for american muscle, i would look at invidia gemini
Old 05-10-2016, 05:22 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

^^^Completely agree with the suggestions posted here. No to the BullyDog and yes to getting both UpRev Osiris and Cipher- it'll help you tune and diagnose your Z. Save your money to build your shortblock if you plan to go FI someday. The other stuff is just BLING and if you must have it, look at the classifieds here and locally to buy the parts.

If you're just learning about cars, know that respect is EARNED, not purchased. Start down that road by educating yourself on what the Z is capable of by joining a local Z club and attending a few autocrosses. Learn how to DRIVE the car by spending a few bucks on yourself, it's way better than wasting it on parts that won't offer that big a performance return!
The following 4 users liked this post by dkmura:
MicVelo (05-10-2016), n_den (10-14-2016), SmoothZ (05-11-2016), StevSam (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 05:35 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Since you're going supercharged don't buy the intake
Old 05-10-2016, 05:50 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ZNoob93
when i supercharge i'll be wanting the manifold right? should i be adding anything?
The supercharger replaces the intake manifold.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:53 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Solid advice here. I want to add, the z isnt meant to be fast in the straight, its a drivers car, learn to drive it. Add sway bars for better handling, corners are where the z shine.

I spent a TON of money on my car to turboe it, it STILL only has medicore straight line speed, however, in the corner is where it demands respect.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:44 AM
iideadeyeii

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
The supercharger replaces the intake manifold.
lol wut? Only the stillen, but no one uses that.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:52 AM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 2005 350z DE, automatic, 106K miles please dont laugh at me for automatic, ive never been good at manual and got this car for a great deal.
everything is stock, i want some performance and also to sounds clean, but when i open the hood i want people to respect it. now im not focused on going for performance i understand that when i read 14hp gain its more like 4 but tell me if im making a mistake for buying this.

Bully Dog Triple Dog GT Platinum Tuner Programmer
Kinetix Racing Velocity Intake Manifold
Berk Technology BT1401-HFC-MET High Flow Catalytic Converters
K&N 69 Series Blue Typhoon Air Intake System
Borla True Dual Cat-Back Exhaust

please point me in the right direction. i want to put a supercharger one day but that will be a year down the road.
Speaking about our supercharger specifically, all of those mods (except the exhaust) would not be compatible with our kit. Plus all the labor you'll pay to have them installed if it's not a DIY project, might as well just save up for the whole enchilada.

I second the Uprev tune if you do choose to stay NA for the time being. If you'd like more details on our supercharger system, just send us a PM. I can help you weigh your options.

~Jill
Old 05-10-2016, 08:18 AM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Ill sell you an Uprev! It's even the turner version so you can tweek your tune.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:51 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

First off what EXACTLY are you trying to do with it??

Are these mods for popping the hood for ooh's and ahh's? Show car for IG/car meets? Or do you want to track day this? Drag strip? Street race? Whats the goal here first of all?

Second, as they said above if your going to SC or turbo it don't buy the intake because its coming off anyways.

Have you thought of skipping all this together and just putting it towards the SC?? Some of this stuff isn't exactly "cheap" and could help a bunch on affording that SC and get you there faster and probably make a much bigger power gain than buying all this stuff to kill time and money.. Just a thought. GL either way!
Old 05-10-2016, 09:21 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Is everyone thinking small block chevy blower up in here or what... That velocity manifold would be good for a most supercharger set ups... The stillen is the only one that replaces the plenum that I know about...

If you want to open the hood and have people respect it just keep it nice and clean, polish up your plenum, polish up your timing chain cover... Clean up everything you can...

Nobody is going to care as much as you will. Even the most modified built z on this site doesnt mean anyone respects the owner. Someone always has a nicer car, someone always has a faster car.

Do your research buy what makes you happy, its a nice package enjoy... Dont worry about everyone else...

That being said I have 2 of your 5 things listed... The borla exhaust and the berks high flow cats... The borla is growing on me buy I was initially rather disappointed, I honesty think oem exhaust sounds better...

The berks hfc I have sitting in my basement waiting on my oem cats to fail because they are old... Im going to keep the oem cats as long as they hold together. But I know their days are numbered so the berks seemed like a good replacement option.

The velocity manifold looks awesome but has no real gains na, but who cares if you find one for a good price I would go for it.

An intake is an intake... I have the dc sport with a aem dry flow filter works for me... And before that I had the jwt poop charger.. It was also fine... But I dont kid myself by thinking they improved on what Nissan put out from the factory...

Ok sorry for the book, gotta go back to work.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:22 AM
turboed350z

Cosworth plen and root style supercharger. /thread
Old 05-10-2016, 10:32 AM
ZNoob93

so much information from you guys thanks, so is there an average cost to supercharging? should i have motor work done before forcing air down its throat? don't get me wrong id love to supercharge but i was told id spend 5k on a kit and another 5k to install it and tune. 10k for a car i bought for 5k is a harsh decision, that's why it would be nice to just piece it together like this. i see what was said about uprev and reading more on it, i agree. to respond to what my main goal with this car is. i honestly havent figured it out. i love corners, sometimes ill line it up with a few friends, i want sound, i want it to be nice like your guys'.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:43 AM
turboed350z

Shouldve bought a honda...
Old 05-10-2016, 11:02 AM
ZNoob93

thanks got one of those sitting in driveway aswell, not sure what buying a honda has anything to do with it. im talking about spending 6k on parts and wanting to know what i should change.

Last edited by ZNoob93; 05-10-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:27 AM
jdm-v35

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Invidia exhaust, kinetix hfc, motordyne plenum spacer and uprev tune. DONE. Below what you planned to spend and better bang for the buck than the parts you initially chose.

Springs/coilovers and swaybars if you have enough extra money.

6k really wont buy much(quality parts) on this platform after these basic mods.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:51 AM
ZNoob93

thank you
Old 05-10-2016, 11:55 AM
iideadeyeii

don't get me wrong id love to supercharge but i was told id spend 5k on a kit and another 5k to install it and tune. 10k for a car i bought for 5k is a harsh decision,
I'm going to supercharge.

Woah, SC too expensive NVM

Quick Reply: New to this, am i making a mistake?