Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Very Strange Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 02:29 PM
racer111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Strange Starting Issue

Just took delivery of my 04 Roadster stick shift, had to get a key programmed as the seller lost the key,, no big of a deal very happy, went for my first drive in it,, car started right up, got about half a mile from home and I lost throttle

Ok turn the key to start, car starts and goes to 1000 rpm for 2 seconds then quickly dies, pushing the accelerator has no effect, if anything it kills the engine quicker

When I turn the key I hear the fuel pump and I just put in 1 gallon of gas just in case but its had no effect, I am at a loss now?

Any Suggestions would be really gratefully received

Old 08-10-2016, 02:54 PM
KJFire4Life

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like a vacuum leak or something with the ECU. Possibly needs a throttle body reset. There's a ton of good threads on how to do that on here. I would personally try disconnecting the battery for a good 20-30 minutes. Let it reset everything especially if it's been shipped to you. Poke around the engine bay and make sure you don't have any loose ends. The hose that goes between the valve covers is HORRIBLE for rotting through, check you're pcv hose coming off passenger side valve cover, along with you're fuel lines. Could possibly be something fuel related farther along from the pump. Also, with you just getting the key programmed it could possibly have something to do with that, which in case would have to be redone or checked by a dealer. Is there any red lights blinking on the dash by windshield or symbols lit up on the instrument cluster?
Old 08-10-2016, 05:37 PM
racer111

Default Thank you

Thanks for your input, I have had several 350s and 370s and know the operation reasonably well, I have the battery off and will leave it that way overnight so as to reset the ECU,, then I plan on the gas peddle and Throttle dbody reset, I will look for a vacuum tube off, I dont think its the NATS system as it actually fires and runs for up to 2 seconds before dying out,, I did have some one spray some starter fluid in the intake as it was dying and it came back to life before stalling out so its a fuel related issue I believe
I plan to clean the throttle body and MAFS sensor tomorrow also after that I am at a lose end,, I will take off the feed to the fuel rail with the key on to see if its pumping gas to the rail but i believe I will find that all good,, its odd as I can immediately restart the car and it will run for 2 more seconds.
I have a factory programmer on the way so maybe that will help?
I am always open to advise as that is how I learn and am happy to help others if needed
Old 08-22-2016, 05:36 PM
racer111

Ok for any ones interest the results were, a piece of sponge blocked the Mass Airflow sensor, removed it and the car drives great
Just hoping this helps anyone who has a similar symptom

Old 08-24-2016, 01:01 PM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

JESUS a piece of sponge?! LOL you should check your air filter. Glad its all good now.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:08 PM
racer111

the odd thing is I had the sensor connected but the pipe disconnected and thats what threw me,, Yup a darn piece of sponge,, all is good now

all up and running