Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Who has installed a shift kit, chime in please

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 11:31 AM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Who has installed a shift kit, chime in please

I'm building a Xmas list to do list. Most of which I will do myself.

Interested in a shift kit, not a valve body upgrade.

Those who have installed a shift kit in our cars. How close is it to installing. Shift kit in early electronic AT's.

Reason I ask is I haven't cracked open a modern tranny before. I installed shift kits in a 4L60E, Turbo 350 and a 700r4. The 4l60e being the electronic one. Just wondering if all the basics are the same or not.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:51 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its pretty much the same thing as the older trans and its totally worth it
Old 12-10-2016, 08:10 PM
generalkenobi08

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming you are refering to the Transgo kit. I installed one in mine. Never did one before but it was fairly straight forward between the directions and the DIY on here. Not sure if it compares to your previous installs but here is a link to the DIY. https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...y-upgrade.html
Old 12-11-2016, 01:41 PM
Swaglife81

Originally Posted by generalkenobi08
Assuming you are refering to the Transgo kit. I installed one in mine. Never did one before but it was fairly straight forward between the directions and the DIY on here. Not sure if it compares to your previous installs but here is a link to the DIY. https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...y-upgrade.html
Just to clarify on terminology and making sure I don't have it confused. Your DIY is a valve body upgrade a reprogramming kit correct? Is this what the G/Z guys refer to as what I am referring to as a shift kit.

Until 6 months ago I was always driving a manual. So my experience in the past was mainly only Mustangs where line pressure was changed through the computeron AT's. A valve body upgrade was usually a replacement valve body not a modified valve body. The shifts kits in the past were basically 90% disassembly with a couple of ***** and 1 or 2 springs. Is this the valve body upgrade the G/Z guys refer too?
Old 12-12-2016, 06:37 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Swaglife81
Just to clarify on terminology and making sure I don't have it confused. Your DIY is a valve body upgrade a reprogramming kit correct? Is this what the G/Z guys refer to as what I am referring to as a shift kit.

Until 6 months ago I was always driving a manual. So my experience in the past was mainly only Mustangs where line pressure was changed through the computeron AT's. A valve body upgrade was usually a replacement valve body not a modified valve body. The shifts kits in the past were basically 90% disassembly with a couple of ***** and 1 or 2 springs. Is this the valve body upgrade the G/Z guys refer too?
The only upgrade I know of is the transgo kit which is a shift kit by the way you describe it. Not a replacement VB but a do it yourself, or trained professional, kit. The transgo kit is replacment springs and ***** with some permanent drilling for larger holes involved. I don't think there are any programing upgrades available from reputable sources.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:02 PM
Swaglife81

Thanks for the replies. In the late 90's I was only dealing with Chevy small blacks, TBI and TPI cars than LT1 car. Than I went new and bought a mustang gt new in 2003 and kept that for 12-13 years. Going to Nissan/Infiniti for the first time in my life without ever touching anything else it's so different. I guess sometimes I seem like a noob but I do have 20 years modding cars, ha.Infiniti seems to over engineer some things. I still refuse to take a car into someone other than an alignment or differential work but as I get older 35 now, sometimes time to be free just isn't there. Shift kits got so expensive. They used to be so cheap