Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hid Instal ??????????

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 09:56 PM
TimeAttkZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hid Instal ??????????

I recieved my Extreme lighting HID kit for my 05 base model Z. Im currently attempting to attack this install and would like to see a DIY if possible. I searched everywhere and only got a couple pictures here and there with little info. Will someone please enlighten me who has this kit from chuck .. on this forum. Or possibly anyone who knows of a good DIY source .. this is suppossed to be easy i thought Im not much of an electrical man ... help
Old 11-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Ztalker

just remove the fender liners, replace the old bulbs with new ones and plug those wires together. Make sure to clean the surface area with alcohol before you adhere the ballast. Turn the lights on and enjoy.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:04 AM
TimeAttkZ

Ztalker .. I appreciate the simplicity of your instructions but im afraid the install is much more complicated then this. Call me retarded .. but i find it somewhat difficult to do this concidering im new to the Z's engine bay. Im more familiar to the engine bay of the honda .. forgive me. Anyone have this HID kit .. or anyone know of a somewhat DETAILED DIY for us dummies. I swear id rather install any bolt on then work out this electrical crap! thanks for your patience.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:45 AM
gNaRKiLL

Originally Posted by TimeAttkZ
Ztalker .. I appreciate the simplicity of your instructions but im afraid the install is much more complicated then this. Call me retarded .. but i find it somewhat difficult to do this concidering im new to the Z's engine bay. Im more familiar to the engine bay of the honda .. forgive me. Anyone have this HID kit .. or anyone know of a somewhat DETAILED DIY for us dummies. I swear id rather install any bolt on then work out this electrical crap! thanks for your patience.

check out 350z wiki, under tutorials in electrical, that will tell you all you need. You could have just Pm'd me for instructions Im very good about that. Also please respond to my PM about your payment.
Thanks,
Chuck
Old 11-04-2006, 08:59 AM
Ztalker

you've got to have faith in yourself. The install is just as simple as that. i took my time cleaning the wheel well and installed mine in a couple of hours. The kit is plug and play. First put the frontend on jackstands, remove both wheels and unhook the liners close to the headlight housing. Pop the round plastic cover and remove the oem bulbs. Carefully install the Xenon bulb and follow the instructions that come with the kit. Locate a clean surface for the ballast to adhere is the most important part cuz you dont want it to come loose down the road. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:53 PM
TimeAttkZ

Yes, I understand how to put my car on jack stands .. and I know how to take off my fender liners. The problem is AFTER i get the car jacked up and the fender liners off! Yes i can easily remove old bulb and plug in new xenon bulb .. mount the ballast and ignitor. The problem is connecting all these items ... I swear my kit has so much extra stuff .. becuase it is all not coming togeather at all??? The intructions for the wires have 3 different meathods and I dont know which to use. Theres a cord that potentially could run across the width of the car. Is one of the cords supposed to go from headlight to headlight ???? Or is this the extra crap that is confusing me. I fully comprehend the mounting and installing of the bulb, ballast and ignitor. So far I have the bulb connected to the ignitor which connects to the ballast. The rest is jumbled to me. Its choosing which wires go where and which to use and not use that is confusing me. Ahh im rambling on now ... Help

Last edited by TimeAttkZ; 11-09-2006 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:31 PM
TimeAttkZ

anyone there ???

Last edited by TimeAttkZ; 11-10-2006 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:43 AM
TimeAttkZ

nobodys got answers for me ?
Old 11-10-2006, 10:14 AM
NaNa-Papa-J

I'll see if I can find anything for you...I just ordered some myself and will be installing them next week...I'll post a link here if I do find something.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:36 AM
TimeAttkZ

What does this plug into ???
I know the two red and black prongs on the other end of this wire plug into the stock connector sockets.
And I know the xenon bulb is placed in the headlight which comes down to attach to the ignitor which then leads to the ballast... after that im stuck.

And im assuming you ground the red and black wires to the metal securly. But the green plug ??? I know it get attached to the drivers side oem headlight ... but where ???

Last edited by TimeAttkZ; 11-10-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:22 PM
TimeAttkZ

This section of the forum does not have much traffic I see.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:14 PM
blazefast

I just got that kit (best $170 I've ever spent, I might add =) ). You can do one of two things as far as wiring:

1. Some people swear by giving the HID ballasts their own harness. Thats what the long bunch of wires is for (at least in my kit, it was)

2. Most people just connect the stock + and - wires to the ballast, then ballast to bulb, and call it a day. On my install, I just cut off those extra wires you are pointing to
Old 11-11-2006, 03:26 PM
gNaRKiLL

Hey guys to help in your install and with the wires check this out, just save the pic and zoom in and you can read the text better, it should help you quite a bit in your install.

Old 11-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Ztalker

Yes, I understand how to put my car on jack stands .. and I know how to take off my fender liners. The problem is AFTER i get the car jacked up and the fender liners off! Yes i can easily remove old bulb and plug in new xenon bulb .. mount the ballast and ignitor. The problem is connecting all these items ... I swear my kit has so much extra stuff .. becuase it is all not coming togeather at all??? The intructions for the wires have 3 different meathods and I dont know which to use. Theres a cord that potentially could run across the width of the car. Is one of the cords supposed to go from headlight to headlight ???? Or is this the extra crap that is confusing me. I fully comprehend the mounting and installing of the bulb, ballast and ignitor. So far I have the bulb connected to the ignitor which connects to the ballast. The rest is jumbled to me. Its choosing which wires go where and which to use and not use that is confusing me. Ahh im rambling on now ... Help
i'm sorry...but my hid kit did not come with all those extra long wires like the ones in your pics. The one i installed had just the wire to hook up to the oem harness going to the light bulb. Both headlights hook up independantly. There is no wire to run across. There is no need to run a wire to the battery terminal.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:55 AM
TimeAttkZ

I FINISHED IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive never been so proud of myself
This was suppossed to be the most basic install which turned out a nightmare!!!! This kit is absolutley ridiculous. The intructions do not match the items that are in the box whatsoever. The entire wiring harness is completley unnecessary, as is the connections to the battery and ground wire. All of these tangled extra wires require your mind to run in circles and should not even be included in the kit. All you have to do is put your bulbs in connect them down to the ignitor which then plugs into the ballast. The ballast is then directed back up to where the oem bumbs pluged into. Each headlight for themselves.
The wrong way(which the kit decieves you to do) ...using the wiring harness which requires you to run a wire across the width of the car to the other ballast location and run a positive wire to the battery post, while grounding a wire. After all of this wiring the lights dont even operate this way. After spining with confusion and having to leave my car on jack stands for 2 days ... I found out from Ztalkers post that i didnt even need to use all this garbage wiring.

As for the results .. they look amazing and were worth my install regardless of all the BS. Chuck has a great product for sale ( even though I would suggest clear instruction and perhaps save poeple the headache and take out all the BS wiring harness included ) and i recomened everyone to invest in one of these for your Z. Money well spent.

Im sure my frantic anger filled posts were confusing everyone and I apologize. Thanks for all the help and chuck thank you for being very accessable during this install.

Last edited by TimeAttkZ; 11-12-2006 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:43 AM
TotalChaos

so since i'm about to put these exact same ones in my car this week... feel like PM'ing me how you did it with which wires?
Old 11-12-2006, 09:50 AM
gNaRKiLL

So wait, did you hardwire the ballasts to the oem connectors? I guess you could do this but the reason for the harness is that it connects the ballasts to the battery in order to get a constant power source and so that its not pulling all that power from your stock harness when the ignitors fire.

Definitely post pics of what you did if you have them I am kind of curious now.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:25 PM
TimeAttkZ

Thats exactly what I did... theres no reason to use the wiring harness wwhatsoever. By using the wiring harness not only must you run wires all around your engine bay but it allows much more room for error in parts. It still does not fire up even when using the wiring harness as told. You simply take the wiring harness out of the equation and install goes as follows.

Remove fenders
Remove oem bulbs
Place xenon bulbs in
mount ignitor and connect to xenon bulb
mount ballast and connect to ignitor
connect ballast back up to oem + / - connections ( where it used to attach to oem bulb)

Finished !!!

This allows each headlight to be powered seperatley as stock headlights were inteaded for. Needless to say the wiring harness is what places mass amounts of confusion into the install. Also Instructions within the package are bogus. For instance they dont even mention that you have an ignitor included in the kit when you must have one in order to operate the HID sucessfully. If anyone has any questions with this kit install let me know becuase I have spent the last 4 days looking at all possibilities for error and how to fix them. I understand how frustrated you may become during this install especially when you dont expect your car to be out of comission for more than a few hours and eeryone keeps telling you that its the easiest install in the world but fail to provide exact information on which wire connnects to which. Thanks everyone and thanks Chuck for a great kit.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:32 PM
gNaRKiLL

Hmm well I guess if that works then it works, but I wouldnt recommend everyone do this because the harness is there for a reason, but either way im glad you got it working and you like it, post some pics.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Ztalker

i'm glad that everything worked out for you finally.

Quick Reply: Hid Instal ??????????