Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skakemokid
you might need to move the recieving end of the hinge. Just a tiny tiny bit,
recieving end of the hinge? what do you mean lol
Old 03-15-2011, 08:40 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Stillen makes a strut bar that goes in front of the plenum, it was designed to clear their superchargers. Its ugly in my opinion. why not just roll without it? Take it to a body shop and see if they can fix it for you
Old 03-15-2011, 08:45 PM
andres benitez

Originally Posted by viva la spam
Stillen makes a strut bar that goes in front of the plenum, it was designed to clear their superchargers. Its ugly in my opinion. why not just roll without it? Take it to a body shop and see if they can fix it for you
without the strut bar? i would but i called a dealer he said i wouldnt recommend it especially if i drive stupid lol wich is something i cant control. im ganna check out that stillin doh. it kinda sucks just having my hood in my room all day lol
Old 03-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andres benitez
the guy i bought it from has the exact car as me an 03 lol that why its wierd it wont fit.the hood latsches but just cant shut and i really dont want stress the hood to much does any one know of a thinner strut bar then cusco?
I have a cusco one on my car, I have seen a couple other bars close to the same but none thinner. Cusco is also the best priced of all of them as well.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:18 PM
andres benitez

Originally Posted by Barnabas
I have a cusco one on my car, I have seen a couple other bars close to the same but none thinner. Cusco is also the best priced of all of them as well.
i think i might go with the stillen but cusco looks way better.if you get a chance could you take a couple of pics of you cusco just to see how much above the engine it sits.i would be gratefull!!!! lol TIA
Old 03-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Barnabas

I have a kenetix SSV so cant really give you what your looking for :-/ here is how mine looks though.
carbon fiber hood fitment issues!!!!!!-34900_1475867410797_1057070091_1370500_8192172_n.jpg
carbon fiber hood fitment issues!!!!!!-29228_1442241170162_1057070091_1282952_7165577_n.jpg

Fitment of my hood.

carbon fiber hood fitment issues!!!!!!-24336_1360660770703_1057070091_1086044_90014_n.jpg

carbon fiber hood fitment issues!!!!!!-32478_1435544362746_1057070091_1264459_6093121_n.jpg

Last edited by Barnabas; 03-15-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:50 PM
andres benitez

I have a kenetix SSV so cant really give you what your looking for :-/ here is how mine looks though.
Attachment 310642
Attachment 310638

Fitment of my hood.

Attachment 310640

Attachment 310641
dam!!!!! sick car bro lol.. if i buy the stillen or spl [i think thats the name] i have to remove the engine cover does the affect anything in any way other then looks?
Old 03-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Barnabas

dam!!!!! sick car bro lol.. if i buy the stillen or spl [i think thats the name] i have to remove the engine cover does the affect anything in any way other then looks?
absolutly not in any way whatsoever.

and thanks for the kind words

Before you go buying parts are you sure its the strut bar keeping you from closing the hood?? remove your stock bar and see if you can shut it. if you can then sure buy away. but if its not then you may want to reasses before moving forward.

You shoudl have seen how horrible my hood looked when I first put it on. 30 min later of adjustments it fits how you see in the pictures. when it was first on it looked like there was no way it belonged on the car
Old 03-16-2011, 12:08 AM
skakemokid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hood latch.. sorry..
Old 03-16-2011, 12:25 AM
andres benitez

absolutly not in any way whatsoever.

and thanks for the kind words

Before you go buying parts are you sure its the strut bar keeping you from closing the hood?? remove your stock bar and see if you can shut it. if you can then sure buy away. but if its not then you may want to reasses before moving forward.

You shoudl have seen how horrible my hood looked when I first put it on. 30 min later of adjustments it fits how you see in the pictures. when it was first on it looked like there was no way it belonged on the car
the guy even gave me spacers and still didnt fit lol but you could just tell its rubbing the strut plus i emailed seibon and asked there response was [Yes the strut bar will be in the way but please un bolten the latch and move it higher. Thanks] so im going to my buddys shop tmrw to remove it and see if it closes lol
Old 03-16-2011, 12:26 AM
andres benitez

Originally Posted by skakemokid
Hood latch.. sorry..
oh lol i did and nothing...
Old 03-16-2011, 12:27 AM
shakalaka

I have the same problem. Well not really a problem because my hood still closes. I recently got a VIS GTC style hood for my 03. The strut bar clearly makes contact with the hood and I can see black marks on the strut bar from the hood's under part rubbing on it, but once I click the hood, it latches anyway.

So I didn't bother doing anything, I just left it all like that. It's only the under layer of the hood that's making contact and bend if it comes to that, the top layer is far from it. It looks fine and everything. But I guess I can try looking into thinner strut bars and if they aren't ridiculously expensive, I may get one. Otherwise I am not even going to bother.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:29 AM
Barnabas

the guy even gave me spacers and still didnt fit lol but you could just tell its rubbing the strut plus i emailed seibon and asked there response was [Yes the strut bar will be in the way but please un bolten the latch and move it higher. Thanks] so im going to my buddys shop tmrw to remove it and see if it closes lol
Let us all know how it goes feel free to PM me if you run into any problems or need any advice.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:31 AM
andres benitez

Originally Posted by shakalaka
I have the same problem. Well not really a problem because my hood still closes. I recently got a VIS GTC style hood for my 03. The strut bar clearly makes contact with the hood and I can see black marks on the strut bar from the hood's under part rubbing on it, but once I click the hood, it latches anyway.

So I didn't bother doing anything, I just left it all like that. It's only the under layer of the hood that's making contact and bend if it comes to that, the top layer is far from it. It looks fine and everything. But I guess I can try looking into thinner strut bars and if they aren't ridiculously expensive, I may get one. Otherwise I am not even going to bother.
yup i see contact on my strut bar to i just cant shut it but will see what the problem is tmrw..
Old 03-16-2011, 12:32 AM
andres benitez

QUOTE=Barnabas;9024532]Let us all know how it goes feel free to PM me if you run into any problems or need any advice.[/QUOTE]

ok thanks lol
Old 03-16-2011, 12:32 AM
shakalaka

Move your latch as high as it goes, the hood will still make contact but just close it normally as you would and it should click. Like I said I have the same problem but mine clicks fine with the latch. I don't want to remove the strut bar to lose handling. I checked the cusco strut bar is close to $200 which isn't really cheap. What's the thinnest possible one you can get? I may get one later on down the line, but might not even bother. All I see if eventually when the hood keeps rubbing on the strut bar, the bottom most layer may dissolve or something, which is fine too. It'll just make room for the strut bar then, otherwise if it's just getting a little stress when it's closed, I don't really care.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:03 AM
Barnabas

Originally Posted by shakalaka
Move your latch as high as it goes, the hood will still make contact but just close it normally as you would and it should click. Like I said I have the same problem but mine clicks fine with the latch. I don't want to remove the strut bar to lose handling. I checked the cusco strut bar is close to $200 which isn't really cheap. What's the thinnest possible one you can get? I may get one later on down the line, but might not even bother. All I see if eventually when the hood keeps rubbing on the strut bar, the bottom most layer may dissolve or something, which is fine too. It'll just make room for the strut bar then, otherwise if it's just getting a little stress when it's closed, I don't really care.
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/c...z-p-19773.html

I got mine from Vivid a few years back. they are sponsors on here so you can get forum pricing as well Talk to mike.

The stress that the strut bar creates over time will eventually cause the finish on your hood to start to crack. Not to mention if the hood ever gets slammed down... sat on, or any other chance thing that could happen now turns into a hood repair issue instead of a "oops".

AS far as all my research goes the Cusco is the thinnest strut bar made. There is one other one that is similiar in thickness but I cant think of it off the top of my head.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:26 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

The aps strut brave looks like it would fit better, then you would either have to lose your engine cover or modify it:
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/t...z-p-19735.html
Old 03-16-2011, 08:26 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Definitely check first before you order parts
Old 03-16-2011, 12:35 PM
shakalaka

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/c...z-p-19773.html

I got mine from Vivid a few years back. they are sponsors on here so you can get forum pricing as well Talk to mike.

The stress that the strut bar creates over time will eventually cause the finish on your hood to start to crack. Not to mention if the hood ever gets slammed down... sat on, or any other chance thing that could happen now turns into a hood repair issue instead of a "oops".

AS far as all my research goes the Cusco is the thinnest strut bar made. There is one other one that is similiar in thickness but I cant think of it off the top of my head.
I don't necessarily think the stress is going to cause the top layer of the hood to crack. The way the hood is that there obviously the top carbon fibre layer and then under it with about an inch of space is another metal sheet. This sheet is the one that makes contact and rubs on the strut bar. So eventually even if the contact making corrodes the metal sheet at the contact points, there still roughly an inch from there to the top actual cf layer. So the strut bar will just have breathing room at those contact spots (2) and rest of the metal sheet will be fine the way it is.

And yea you are right, I have to be very careful when closing the hood, can never slam it. And no one better even think about sitting on the freaking thing or I am gonna be breaking some knees. lol

Although that being said I still may look into a diff strut bar, but not at this point, considering I just spent like 2k on the car when I got a whole bunch of parts at once.

Quick Reply: carbon fiber hood fitment issues!!!!!!