Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converted non-HID to HID..no high beams?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 10:45 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Converted non-HID to HID..no high beams?

Hey all,

Can I bug you for some quick troubleshooting?

I know I've seen a thread on this issue lately but searching for it didn't bring it up, or I'm exercising my inner Ray Charles, that happens too sometimes.

Today I re-wired my base non-HID to become HID by cutting off the 6pin and 8pin connectors off the headlights (my oem's and a set of HID's I bought from a great guy on this forum) and rewiring them using bullet plugs and tomorrow or soon I'll tape everything up with electrical tape.

Everything works except high beams?

Blinker blinks normal speed.

Now...I have a feeling that since I didn't wire the high-beams ground wire to anything that THAT is likely the problem? What do I do with the high beams ground wire? Splice it into the low beam ground wire? Splice it into the accessory lights ground wire?

I also have a yellow wire just dangling that served no purpose...that should just be taped up and left alone, or is that possibly part of the issue?

ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED....the electrical diagrams I had contradicted each other, I didn't have a multimeter, and I've never done anything like this...but a lot of thinking and common sense prevailed, but somehow I've missed the high beams connect.

Thanks sincerely....I'm so close! And yes...the HID's are so much nicer than the Night Rider effect my old headlights had happening..was like hovering over darkness even with the headlights on. Long story, it would bore you.

Saved

Last edited by savedbygrace; 08-10-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:05 AM
frocker93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ground the high beam to any other ground wire or just find a bolt and put it under that. They won't work if they aren't grounded. As for the yellow wire, ground the high beams first and then if everything works just tape it off.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:02 PM
savedbygrace

Thank you frocker93!

I'll dig into it again tonight and get it done.

It sounds like there's another option with the yellow wire? If for some reason the high beams don't work after the high beams are grounded, what does one do with the yellow? I think the grounding will fix it of course, but your troubleshooting sounds like there's another step to try that involves the yellow wire just in case grounding the high beams doesn't enable high beams?

Thanks again, so glad to have these headlights in...so so so much nicer already just on low beams. My old set had been attacked with bad ideas from a previous owner.

Saved

Last edited by savedbygrace; 08-11-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:03 PM
savedbygrace

Fixed thanks to your input frocker93.

Thanks again, knuckles over the internet man.

Saved