Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

**3.3 Final Drive Installed-Review**

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 08:19 AM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
No offense bro (wa2good) but that dyno I assume JWT's is on crack. Show me a 800whp Dynojet or even 700whp and I'll believe it.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....nt+dyno+sheets

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....bumble+bee+vrt

Hahahaha, not again.......Been through this too many times before, and I WILL NOT debate this with you or anybody else anymore. If you wanna call Jim Wolf a liar and say their dyno is not accurate you go right ahead LOL.
Believe what you want, but we have and so have many others (time and time again) gone straight from JWT's DynaPack with a car fresh off the dyno and went straight to The Dyno Shop, just 5-10 miles away and dynoed 30-60 minutes later on their Dyno Jet........ Same car, same boost, same gas, very similer numbers, different dyno's and shops alltogether.

Last edited by WA2GOOD; 06-21-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:35 AM
helldorado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the stock diff, it works well, and isnt noisy. Until I blow it/ruin it racing I wont upgrade. Ive cut 1.7 60ft's with it launching conservatively, what has spending $$$ on a Quaife gotten you at the track?
If the only value you see in a diff is using it to launch in a straight line with a set of DR's, then there's no need to worry about it.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....nt+dyno+sheets

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....bumble+bee+vrt

Hahahaha, not again.......Been through this too many times before, and I WILL NOT debate this with you or anybody else anymore. If you wanna call Jim Wolf a liar and say their dyno is not accurate you go right ahead LOL.
No debate here. Those are both on dyno's that read high (obviously some with a correction). All Im saying is I dont want to see a Dynapack, Dyno Dynamics or Mustang dyno, I want an unalterable Dynojet of any JWT set-up at 800+whp, that is all. Dynapack Z's around here do high 250's stock, while I did 260whp fully mod'd with bolt-ons and a tune back in the day, funny I ran much faster ET's and higher traps than all of them. Anyways, didnt mean to start this agian I have been asking for DJ #'s forever and nobody can come through.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:43 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by helldorado
If the only value you see in a diff is using it to launch in a straight line with a set of DR's, then there's no need to worry about it.
Do you road course? Ive never felt (when pushing the car hard in corners) that my stock diff wasnt adequate coming out of turns applying the power.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:59 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the stock diff and went with a nismo and felt a tremendous difference in grip in a straight line and cornering. The car no longer fishtailed sideways like it did with the stock VLSD - not saying the nismo is the best or anything, it isn't but just saying I wasn't expecting much difference with an aftermarket diff and it ended up being a night/day difference compared to the stock one
Old 06-21-2007, 09:05 AM
WA2GOOD
Banned

^^^ Yes, Although the stock VCS & TCS on these cars are a BIG help over the base open diff, an LSD is one of those things that you don't realy know what you are missing untill you have had one.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:15 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

^^^ Yes, Although the stock VCS & TCS on these cars are a BIG help over the base open diff, an LSD is one of those things that you don't realy know what you are missing untill you have had one.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I was just told that you cannot run an aftermarket LSD like the ATS with 3.3?? Are you planning on going out with a stock VCS/TCS??

When is your web site going to be up??
Old 06-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
Correct me if I am wrong, but I was just told that you cannot run an aftermarket LSD like the ATS with 3.3?? Are you planning on going out with a stock VCS/TCS??
Ask Sharif if you dont believe me Luie, he tried putting Brent's ATS LSD into a 3.3 FD pumpkin and it wouldnt fit
Old 06-21-2007, 09:19 AM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was just told that you cannot run an aftermarket LSD like the ATS with 3.3??
Then stand corrected, Hahaha. Yea, I was told that too, but my diff guy and sponsor (Pro Gear) is the best in the buisness, thats ALL they do and they got mine to work.

Are you planning on going out with a stock VCS/TCS??
Hell no.

When is your web site going to be up??
Hahaha, I know, huh. Don't rub it in!...... sore subject!! The wait is KILLIN me!

Last edited by WA2GOOD; 06-21-2007 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:21 AM
rookie

Sweet! Jim is sending me those BB850's with my kit, however we are going with a bigger FMIC. Hopefully the car will be ready for the "redline time attack in RA" .
IYO you think the 3.3 is going to be the way to go on the road course? Well I hope so, cuz I have one ready to put in with ATS LSD.
Does the ATS fit on a 3.3? Z1 shows for manuals only, I thought this meant 3.5 3.7 and 3.9 FDs. http://z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model...ne&prodid=2106
Old 06-21-2007, 09:21 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Ask Sharif if you dont believe me Luie, he tried putting Brent's ATS LSD into a 3.3 FD pumpkin and it wouldnt fit
Ha! Bro I believe you, I am just wondering if another type of LSD would work? Anyhow 3.3 sounds like the only way to go. After riding in your car I cant really see how a 3.5 would work better than a 3.3. 3.3 just seems so much more usable
Old 06-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Quaife and Cuzco I believe work with the 3.3FD/pumpkin...
Old 06-21-2007, 09:23 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Then stand corrected, Hahaha. Yea, I was told that too, but my diff guy and sponsor (Pro Gear) is the best in the buisness, thats ALL they do and they got mine to work.
Well then what do I need to do to get my ATS in that 3.3??
PM me if you feel the need to?/
Old 06-21-2007, 09:28 AM
WA2GOOD
Banned

I am not an expert in this field, so I am not sure. I just know it was kind of a pain in the *** to get it too work. I gave him 3 diffs and he made me two out of them. LOL. It is not cheap, but I am sure I can get him to do it again.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:31 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Going to have to lookin to those options.
Not having my car sucks!
Old 06-21-2007, 09:42 AM
helldorado

Do you road course? Ive never felt (when pushing the car hard in corners) that my stock diff wasnt adequate coming out of turns applying the power.
I've found a noticable difference with the Quaife over stock. On the roads I've pushed the car on, including the dragon I can accelerate earlier coming out of the turn with the Quaife vs when I just had VLSD. Its really on the sharper turns where you feel it, when you're really shifting weight off the inside rear tire. I had a couple times where the car got squirrely seeing how hard I could push it on some of the back roads in the pine barrens. Since the Quaife, I've been able to take them faster and it stays very planted.

Its an expensive mod, but I feel its worthwhile. I've been able to appreciate it NA, I couldn't imagine not having it when I go FI.

Once I get my new wheels on so I can mount my AP's, I'm planning on doing a couple auto-x events and hopefully an event at Pocono my friend is setting up this summer. So we'll see how it does there. But stock brakes...
Old 06-21-2007, 09:47 AM
helldorado

You're not, the 3.3 ring ring gear on the 3.3 is physically 10 mm thicker than the 3.5 ring gear. Do a search for when the Quaife first came out. They made a mistake and their initial release was designed solely for the 3.3 open diff.

You can make a diff designed for a 3.3 work on the 3.5 by using a machined 10 mm spacer, but you'd have to trim 10 mm off the mounting flange of a 3.5 diff to make it fit properly with the 3.3.

I'm assuming Scott used the 3.3 Cusco diff, not the one designed for the 3.5. Putting the 3.3 ring gear with a matching diff is feasible in a 3.5 pumpkin. Trying to make a 3.3 ring gear with a 3.5 diff in a 3.3 or 3.5 pumpkin is not.

That is correct. Caveat is the Quaife is designed as a replacement for the open diff, Cusco VLSD. So you need the appropriate axle stubs.

Last edited by helldorado; 06-21-2007 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I've found a noticable difference with the Quaife over stock. On the roads I've pushed the car on, including the dragon I can accelerate earlier coming out of the turn with the Quaife vs when I just had VLSD. Its really on the sharper turns where you feel it, when you're really shifting weight off the inside rear tire. I had a couple times where the car got squirrely seeing how hard I could push it on some of the back roads in the pine barrens. Since the Quaife, I've been able to take them faster and it stays very planted.

Its an expensive mod, but I feel its worthwhile. I've been able to appreciate it NA, I couldn't imagine not having it when I go FI.

Once I get my new wheels on so I can mount my AP's, I'm planning on doing a couple auto-x events and hopefully an event at Pocono my friend is setting up this summer. So we'll see how it does there. But stock brakes...
Appreciate the input. Makes me want an aftermarket LSD-like Luie, Id prefer the Carbonetics/ATS, I might have to look into having it put in like wa2good said.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:46 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ATS/carbonetics said on their website at one point it doesn't work with anything but the 3.5 FD or at least that's how it was designed.

I think I remember Sharif saying his shop used a 3.9 FD with it and the installer said he'll never do one again because it was pretty difficult.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:13 PM
G35cTT

You're not, the 3.3 ring ring gear on the 3.3 is physically 10 mm thicker than the 3.5 ring gear. Do a search for when the Quaife first came out. They made a mistake and their initial release was designed solely for the 3.3 open diff.

You can make a diff designed for a 3.3 work on the 3.5 by using a machined 10 mm spacer, but you'd have to trim 10 mm off the mounting flange of a 3.5 diff to make it fit properly with the 3.3.

I'm assuming Scott used the 3.3 Cusco diff, not the one designed for the 3.5. Putting the 3.3 ring gear with a matching diff is feasible in a 3.5 pumpkin. Trying to make a 3.3 ring gear with a 3.5 diff in a 3.3 or 3.5 pumpkin is not.

That is correct. Caveat is the Quaife is designed as a replacement for the open diff, Cusco VLSD. So you need the appropriate axle stubs.
I have a question for you, is the 3.3 pumkin the same as the 3.5 pumkin? And just the interal parts are different?

Quick Reply: **3.3 Final Drive Installed-Review**