Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

FORGED PERFORMANCE 2009 2nd Annual Top Dawg Airstrip Event!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 07:34 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Default FORGED PERFORMANCE 2009 2nd Annual Top Dawg Airstrip Event!!!

The Top Dawg Airstrip Event IS ON!!!

* Sponsored and Organized by Forged Performance *

Who wants to take on an award winning GTR from Forged Performance?

All Zs, Gs, GTRs WELCOME!

DATE: May 28th Noon to 5 pm *rain or shine
LOCATION: Hendersonville Airstrip (http://www.hendersonvilleairport.com/), approximately 80 miles from ZdayZ HQ (www.zdayz.com)

REQUIREMENTS: helmet, jeans/long pants, waiver/signatures as required by sponsor and/or insurance co.

COST: $150 per driver (Click here to send in payment. Without it you may be bumped once spots are filled. Openings are limited and will cut off once filled - PM Ryan@Forged with questions).

REFUNDS: None (not even for weather, just too unpredictable as we learned last year)

FORMAT: Roll on races, continously for hours! Photoshoot to follow (clean cars please - car wash in nearby town). Bring your own food, drink and portable seating as you deem necessary. Caravan to ZdayZ afterwards.

SPONSORS ARE WELCOME!!! Please PM Sharif@Forged if you would like to support the event. Every bit will help to turn this into a grander spectacle!

CLICK HERE TO SEND IN PAYMENT AND GUARANTEE YOUR SPOT AS A DRIVER!

Click Here for a Vehicle Pass for Parking at the Event if You Are NOT Driving (i.e. Spectating - you can carpool and save $!)

Last edited by rcdash; 05-08-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:34 PM
rcdash

LAST YEAR WAS A BLAST! Here is the write up from the 2008 event written by yours truly with photography from a number of contributors noted below. This was originally for a post-event article to be published in Nissan Sport Mag, but that just didn't seem to work out. I've hosted this on a website I'm involved with and is being copied with permission from this site (click). Hope you enjoy the article. It just scratches the surface of the level of excitement and entertainment associated with this event. If you are on the fence, I strongly encourage trying to attend - you won't regret it! (PS. IF ANYONE NOTES ANY INACCURACIES, NAMES, ETC. PLEASE LET ME KNOW!)

<HR>

The First Annual Forced Induction Top Dawg Airstrip Event

The Internet has revolutionized the aftermarket high performance automotive market. Thousands of car enthusiasts flock to online websites to share experiences, ideas, troubles, and successes. One such site, www.my350z.com, witnessed the creation of a very special event for the 350Z and G35 enthusiast community. The event occurred in conjunction with the annual ZdayZ event, which takes place every May in the mountains of Fontana, NC. Unlike the twisty mountain roads that characterize the ZdayZ experience, this event was held on the long flat surface of a private airstrip in Hendersonville, NC, located approximately two hours from Fontana. The rules of engagement were simple: roll races on forced induction street cars. Three months in the making, the following list of participants arrived to a 3400 foot airstrip in a picturesque region of western NC at midday May 16th, 2008:

<TABLE border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>D350Z10 (Dilsher Dhillon, the event organizer)</TD><TD>Greddy twin turbo 6MT 350Z with 20G turbo upgrade, 550+ whp.</TD></TR><TD>rcdash (Raj Dash)</TD><TD>JWT twin turbo 5AT G35 coupe with 700bb turbo upgrade, 450+ whp</TD></TR><TD>XKR (Mike Williams)</TD><TD>JWT twin turbo 6MT G35 coupe with 700bb turbo upgrade, 550+ whp</TD></TR><TD>JAMEZ@CiNcity (James McAden)</TD><TD>Greddy twin turbo 6MT 350Z, 400+ whp</TD></TR><TD>Jumpin800agl (Tim Birdwell)</TD><TD>Greddy twin turbo 6MT 350Z, 400+ whp</TD>
</TR><TD>Tyler4 (Tyler Roberts)</TD><TD>Greddy twin turbo 6MT 350Z, 460+ whp</TD></TR><TD>SouthernG35 (Tim Stewart)</TD><TD>Turbonetics single turbo 6MT G35 sedan, 375+ whp</TD></TR>
</TABLE>

Attendance was low due to multiple last minute date changes on account of unpredictable weather that week. Lesson learned for next year: predicting mountain weather is futile – stick with a date and hope for the best! Luckily the day of the event, we were blessed with no rain, partly sunny skies, and a rapidly drying airfield with only a few puddles to be seen upon arrival. Also present was one of our sponsors, Sharif Abdelbaset, owner of Forged Performance LLC (Marietta, GA). Our other primary sponsor, Injected Performance (Lexington, KY) could not attend due to severe weather along the east coast the day and night prior to the event. Greg and Hal from Injected Performance were missed. Looking forward to next year gentlemen! Many thanks to Greg, Hal, and Sharif for sponsoring this fantastic event for the community!

So with occasional concerned glances to oncoming thunder clouds headed in from Fontana, several of the participants initiated trial runs down the strip to splash out puddles and gauge the distance required for hard braking on this modestly sized airstrip. Markers were placed to indicate a safe braking initiation point and photographic equipment dotted the surrounding lawn. Many thanks go out to those who pitched in to help with the coordination of runs as well as those that spent hours capturing video and magnificent still shots (Nileena Dash, Mike Berry, Tim Stewart, Adam Banks, and Sharif Abdelbaset).

And with the much anticipation as cars started up to prepare for the event, the first minor setback of the day was encountered by our single turbo participant, Tim Stewart. A burned clutch line would not stop him though. Within minutes, a flatbed was on the scene and Tim returned for the latter half of the event with a fully repaired clutch line.

And we we’re off to the races! First up Mike Williams with his G35 coupe with 550+ whp took a stroll down the runway and ran a bit behind our horsepower leader. Dilsher Dhillon whose car had adjustable power levels ranging from 500 whp to over 550 with and without the use of methanol respectively, thanks to use of one of the most advanced engine managements systems on the market, the Haltech Platinum PNP standalone for the 350Z. Next down the strip was Raj Dash sporting the only automatic transmission (fully built by GT Motorsports, Rancho Cucamonga, CA) and once again Mike Williams trailed behind despite a clear horsepower lead on paper. A quick inspection by our pit crew chief, Sharif of Forged Performance, revealed an uncoupled charge pipe coming off the intercooler! No wins could be claimed! A setback, albeit minor, would take Mike Williams out for the next hour trying to repair a dislodged pipe coupler utilizing tools designed for airplanes (no automotive air tools, sorry Mike!).

Next in line was Raj Dash’s G35 coupe with 450 whp against Dilsher Dhillon’s 350Z set at 500 whp. A roll from 40 mph was decided upon and off they went. Helmets on, minds focused, vision darting between a multitude of gauges and the road ahead, both cars steadily gained speed and maintained a nose-to-nose configuration to the designated “launch point”. With both cars in 2nd gear, the engines both hummed in the upper rpm band, seemingly in rhythm with the pounding heart beats of the drivers, both car and driver poised in anticipation of the wide open throttle launch. Finally, the chirp of tires and the roar of the exhaust pipes herald the simultaneous launch of the two supercars! The G35 jumps ahead as the tachometer jumps from 4500 to 7000 rpm in an instant, lurching the car forward and a good car length ahead of the 350Z, which with its shorter gears must shift sooner. The upgraded GTM valve body of the G35 shifts in a fraction of a second, chirping the tires in the 2-3 shift and rpms fall to 4500 rpms followed by another surge of power, somewhat more prolonged, but no less potent. The 350Z fails to close the gap and the cars zip past to the braking point at speeds in excess of 120 mph. One win for Raj and the automatic G35! We learned upon return to the starting zone that a missed shift for the 350Z cinched victory for the G35.

There would be an immediate rematch between the two cars but the outcome would not change despite precise shifting by the 350Z. Time for some more power Dilsher? Perhaps as the next rematch told a different story. This time both cars would launch at 55 mph in 3rd gear. The Greddy TT 350Z is in its powerband in 3rd gear and leaps ahead of the G35 in this 3rd race. The G35 takes a fraction of a second to reach full boost, starting at 3000 rpms, but with a high stall converter, not reaching full load until above 4000 rpms. No chance catching that 350Z from behind as it just gets faster! The next 2 pairings starting in 3rd gear all result in the same outcome with a definitive victory for Dilsher’s 350Z. Quite dismayed at starting below the powerband for the G35, Raj invites Dilsher for one more run in 2nd gear. With agreement from Dilsher and a grin on his face, Raj prepares for the launch, another 40 mph roll in 2nd gear. The outcome? You guessed it, the G35 wins but only by a small margin this time around with the 350Z catching up quickly from behind. Methanol map and 550+ whp? Perhaps, but the 5AT held its own with far fewer ponies to call upon. Admittedly, a few hundred feet more and the outcome could well have been different. Itching to run again, Dilsher and Raj line up for a run back down the strip to the starting point when disaster strikes!

(continued next post)

Last edited by rcdash; 04-24-2009 at 05:40 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:35 PM
rcdash

The G35’s oil filter adjacent to the passenger front tire pops off just past the start of the run at the top of 2nd gear. A huge plume of smoke coats the passenger side of the G35 while Raj continues on, helmet obscuring peripheral vision, focused on the road ahead. The 6 quart capacity of the engine quickly drains as engine is flogged on. On video review, only a few seconds of hard running ensue following the release of oil. However, braking is perilous as the right front and right rear brake are coated in a slick film of oil and the car veers to the left as brakes are applied. Luckily the 14” StopTech rotors and 6/4 piston calipers are up to the task and bring the car to an even stop with plenty of room to spare. Ten seconds have passed and Dilsher stops quickly, jumps out of his car and yells “fire”. At this point Raj has recognized something is wrong as the car comes to a stop and the smoke around the car is evident. 14 seconds have elapsed and the ignition is turned off. Another ½ quart of oil falls to the ground as the car is pushed to a safe area and examined by Sharif. The oil filter is recovered from the track, much worse for wear having rattled down the airstrip. Surprisingly the threads appear intact and a quick test fit indicates that a sandwich adapter may not have been up to the task, reducing the number of available threads to the stock Nissan oil filter. A quick trip to a local auto store yields a mobil 1 filter and six quarts of oil. A new filter, 5 quarts of oil, and a quick prayer later, the ignition is tried and the G35 with a Forged Performance built short block purrs back to life. An audible sigh of relief is heard by more than just the owner. The G35 is later dyno tested and demonstrates a perfect power curve. While the outcome could have been much worse, this unfortunate event did knock Raj’s G35 out of the running for “Top Dawg”.

With the powerful automatic out of the equation, the other monster G35 was ready for action, Mike Williams, 550+ whp JWT twin turbo, with boost coupler fixed! However the car gods were not favoring his efforts that day as misfiring spark plugs hampered power and Mike Williams continued to trail behind even the stock block twin turbo cars. A quick change of the plugs later that day put Mike’s car back in tip top shape for the rest of ZdayZ, much to the dismay of a certain Z06 owner we hear!

There were many more memorable runs with Tim Stewart’s G35 single turbo sedan returning after a clutch line repair and thundering down the airstrip giving the twin turbo cars a solid run for their money. The day was not finished with its share of surprises however. A 300ZX twin turbo appeared unexpectedly and joined us for a few runs down the airstrip. This car was FAST! Boasting over 600 whp with twin turbos and nitrous, this car gave Dilsher Dhillon’s 350Z a run for the money, but in the end Dilsher was able to pull out victories for all runs on methanol (mid boost, non race fuel map). Congratulations are in order for Dilsher, unanimously voted the 2008 Top Dawg!

Picture Gallery

The Top Dawg himself! Dilsher Dhillon next to his 350Z.

The surprisingly quick 300zx gave our Top Dawg a run for the money!

The two G35’s lining up for battle (Raj Dash near lane, Mike Williams far lane)

The two stock block Greddy twin turbo cars going head to head (James McAden to the right, Tim Birdwell to the left)

The single turbo G35 sedan driven by Tim Stewart versus the Greddy twin turbo stock block driven by Tim Birdwell.

Two of our lovely spectators Sandy (left) and Angela (right). (Sharif's and XKR's s.o. Sorry fellas )

Tyler in his black 350Z showing the single turbo G35 sedan why two turbos are better than one!

Don't Miss This Event. Sign Up ASAP! See You All There!

Last edited by rcdash; 04-19-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was supposed to be the highlight of my year, but I am an EPIC FAIL. See you nest year for sure!!!!
Old 04-19-2009, 02:47 AM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just like tp remind Mike of this. . . "However the car gods were not favoring his efforts that day as misfiring spark plugs hampered power and Mike Williams continued to trail behind even the stock block twin turbo cars.

I.E. Me lol
Old 04-19-2009, 03:23 AM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Poopy. I'd love to watch this but I'm coming through that area a day later on my way to the beach. My company has a plant in Hendersonville also. Hope you all have a great turnout and I know you'll have a great time. Safety and many HP to all!
Old 04-19-2009, 05:43 AM
ToastZ

1. D350Z10
2. XKR
3. rcdash
4. ToastZ
Old 04-19-2009, 06:36 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ToastZ

1. D350Z10
2. XKR
3. rcdash
4. ToastZ
4. Sharif@Forged
Those that didn't attend last year, really wished they had. It was all this forum was talking about for weeks. This time, we have plenty of time and organization for signups. Of course, other shops are welcome to sign up...hint caugh...Injected Performance...hint caugh.

My plan, is to leave the shop Wed afternoon, and arrive early at Fontana Village Resort. Thurs morning, we leave at 9am for the airstrip which is about 1.5 hours from Fontana Village. After the airstrip event, we head back to Fontana Village to enjoy the rest of the ZDAYZ weekend.

Remember, these are friendly roll-on passes for fun, without all the structure and waiting around, that you would experience at a typical drag strip.

In the end, we crown the TOP DAWG
Old 04-19-2009, 06:48 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by jumpin800agl
I would just like tp remind Mike of this. . . "However the car gods were not favoring his efforts that day as misfiring spark plugs hampered power and Mike Williams continued to trail behind even the stock block twin turbo cars.

I.E. Me lol
Oh boy, now that's not fair, unless your coming back to allow him a rematch. ha ha
Old 04-19-2009, 07:01 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by rcdash
Oh boy, now that's not fair, unless your coming back to allow him a rematch. ha ha
Raj....you know the only reason he is talking that crap is because he is thousands of miles away.....He knows I now have over 250 more WHP waiting for him....so where is he hiding
Old 04-19-2009, 07:13 AM
BrianLG35C

Is there a minimum hp required to participate? Are spectators welcome?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:19 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

I wish I could attend this..... Work owns me...
Old 04-19-2009, 07:24 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

i would love to get some runs in, but is this worth it for a 400whp stock block Z to attend an event like this? Not to mention we have friends in hendersonville I can stay with on wed night.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:25 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
No...
Old 04-19-2009, 08:13 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
There is no minimum HP. This is about, GOOD, SAFE, FUN. Don't worry about your 400 whp going against Mike's 800. One missed shift and you'll have bragging rights over a monster built G. (Sorry Mike, just hypothetical example ). There will be PLENTY of good match ups. You will have the time of your life!

In regards to spectators, we had limits last year, but the issue really is not people, it is parking. There was also a charge of $20 for spectators last year but I don't know what Sharif has planned for this. If we do have sign ups, there should be a fee otherwise people fill spots without being committed. If people can carpool then I think we should be fine. I think Sharif you should charge $20 per car that attends that is not in the event. There is probably room for about a dozen cars in the parking lot as I recall. This does not include the drivers, who can enter the prep area. Spectators that come with drivers are included in the driver's fee.

Last edited by rcdash; 04-19-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:14 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by MI 35th
i would love to get some runs in, but is this worth it for a 400whp stock block Z to attend an event like this? Not to mention we have friends in hendersonville I can stay with on wed night.
You are FI and got friends local? You better be coming! No excuses! Sign up... Understand that this is a reasonably short runway. The torque under the curve and shifting is everything. Peak power is only a small part of the equation. NO WORRIES!

Last edited by rcdash; 04-19-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:30 AM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

Originally Posted by XKR
Raj....you know the only reason he is talking that crap is because he is thousands of miles away.....He knows I now have over 250 more WHP waiting for him....so where is he hiding
Hiding? Um I am hiding in Italy with Beautiful women, great food, and lots of wine. Last year you had a sizeable advantage in whp on me also lol. Mike's brakes ended up being bigger than his whp numbers.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:34 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

This event was awesome last year!
Old 04-19-2009, 08:35 AM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

Originally Posted by MI 35th
As a stock block guy who participated last year I will tell you this is the most fun thing I ever did in my Z. The stock block guys got more runs in and had the closest races out of anyone there. myself, James, and the other Tim had some great runs. James and I were so close it all came down to who got the hit and who didnt miss a shift. Great fun. The built block guys spent more time worried about couplings (cough Mike cough) and oil filters flying off like rockets (Raj). All this allowed us to rape our cars for a whole day and still have al the fun to look forward to at ZDAYZ. This was the highlight of my trip. I wish I could be there this year.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by jumpin800agl
As a stock block guy who participated last year I will tell you this is the most fun thing I ever did in my Z. The stock block guys got more runs in and had the closest races out of anyone there. myself, James, and the other Tim had some great runs. James and I were so close it all came down to who got the hit and who didnt miss a shift. Great fun. The built block guys spent more time worried about couplings (cough Mike cough) and oil filters flying off like rockets (Raj). All this allowed us to rape our cars for a whole day and still have al the fun to look forward to at ZDAYZ. This was the highlight of my trip. I wish I could be there this year.
Well put. I enjoyed the 10+ runs I made with my NA G37 coupe. I think Mike got a few runs in with my G37 as well...LOL.

There is no power requirement. Spectator "vehicles" will be charged a $20 entry fee, but we encourage you to carpool as parkign is somewhat limited.

We'll have wrist bands for the drivers, and spectators, to insure that everyone is paid up, and has signed the liability waivers before being allowed on the airstrip staging area.

This year, I am probably going to go in the little single prop lawnmower..um..I mean airplane, and take some aerial photos of the action down below.

Quick Reply: FORGED PERFORMANCE 2009 2nd Annual Top Dawg Airstrip Event!!!