Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

New setup in the works

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:36 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Ended up scrapping the first mockup manifolds. I am going to run an individual cylinder wideband setup and we couldnt get the sensors at the right angles with the downpipes so we are going to make the runners longer and run the manifolds up over the motor plate and to the turbos instead of under it and run the downpipes down low and out the back.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:00 PM
bmyles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you are going to have 6 widebands?

Last edited by bmyles; 05-30-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:12 PM
meatbag

Originally Posted by bmyles
So you are going to have 6 widebands?
Yes.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/wideba...controller-60/

I might switch to the AEM Infinity box down the road since ive got one sitting on my desk.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:33 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wouldnt egt be just as meaningful on each cylinder and much easier to fit?

does the infinity allow for 6 bands of input to adjust each cylinder? Or do you just use that AEM WBO2 box as a standalone and change EMS params accordingly?

Last edited by str8dum1; 05-30-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:16 PM
meatbag

Originally Posted by str8dum1
wouldnt egt be just as meaningful on each cylinder and much easier to fit?

does the infinity allow for 6 bands of input to adjust each cylinder? Or do you just use that AEM WBO2 box as a standalone and change EMS params accordingly?
o2 sensors respond faster and are more accurate in my opinion. Plus i like trying new stuff.

Haltech can recognize 4 wideband inputs right now. Working on getting them to increase it to 6 or to just see everything over the can network since the AEM boxes are canbus ready.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:04 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

egt also can give false readings since its affected by ignition and fuel, really excited to see how this thing turns out.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I know that pressure (EBP) will effect the a/f readings with the sensors pre turbo. I just don't know how much, and in what way (read leaner or richer).

Do you still plan on having one on each bank, post turbo?
Old 05-31-2013, 04:54 AM
meatbag

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
I know that pressure (EBP) will effect the a/f readings with the sensors pre turbo. I just don't know how much, and in what way (read leaner or richer).

Do you still plan on having one on each bank, post turbo?
The system uses back pressure sensors mounted in each manifold to compensate. Back pressure can also be logged.

Last edited by meatbag; 05-31-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:34 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by meatbag
The system uses back pressure sensors mounted in each manifold to compensate.
Oh, that is a very nice feature then...didn't know that.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:44 PM
str8dum1

what system?

next time i pull my motor, i'm def putting EBP sensors into my proefi. all latest trend is to use VE maps but use Alpha N as the load
Old 05-31-2013, 08:14 PM
J rad

Can't wait for this.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:31 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

alpha-n seems like a very inefficient way of tuning a boosted setup, altering boost levels would need to be retuned since it wouldnt have any way to account for the change in airflow since alpha-n just estimates.

unless im missing something here?
what system?

next time i pull my motor, i'm def putting EBP sensors into my proefi. all latest trend is to use VE maps but use Alpha N as the load
Old 05-31-2013, 10:48 PM
juicinjake

very interesting and out of the box (in terms of this chassis) setup you have going together there. subscribed!
Old 06-01-2013, 05:43 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool. What's the specs on the Precision turbos you're using on this new setup?
Old 06-01-2013, 06:09 AM
meatbag

what system?

Are you sure your not thinking of using the exhuast backpressure to MAP ratio for load? That is becoming more popular on aftermarket systems.

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Very cool. What's the specs on the Precision turbos you're using on this new setup?
The ones in the pics are 5858 CEA turbos. .86 A/R and the big compressor cover. I can go all the way up to the 6766 CEA before flange locations will have to move.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:30 AM
str8dum1

here's one explanation:
Guys, one thing I have been doing for a while now with my personal calibrations is Throttle based V.E. (Alpha N) instead of map based. As you all know manifold pressure doesn't change V.E., however Throttle blade angle and back pressure does. Previously (verson 2 and earlier) we had Pressure ratio as our 'Y' axis input for V.E. the problem there was it was confusing to tune, and was still affected by Throttle angle. Now that I have broken that out into a separate trim table, we can effectively use Throttle angle as our 'Y' axis input. We are still TRUE Speed Density as manifold pressure is still being compensated for along with the density calculations. Previously back pressure would get in the way of doing things this way as there was no way to adjust the map when back pressure increased when running the turbocharger higher. Now that this is all separate, Throttle V.E. does several things for us.

1 - By mapping against throttle angle, we minimize the amount of accel fuel needed.
2 - The V.E. table is much more accurate at each site because we are now accurately compensating for actual v.e. changes
3 - Throttle response is increased due to added accuracy at each point.

To do this properly, you MUST have a backpressure sensor setup to give feedback for high boost trims to fueling against backpressure changes.

If you REALLY want to achieve optimal drivability, you change your load input as well so timing is load based (APC) instead of map. This is how the factories do this. Benefits are as follows

1 - Optimal timing at all manifold pressures. Currently with map based timing, you can't have optimal timing at 100kpa (zero vacuum/boost) because the engines load conditions can vary greatly at that point with no manifold pressure changes.
2 - Due to the optimal timing, fuel economy is increased
3 - Drivability is significantly improved because of the increased timing during transients

Draw backs to this method is mainly that you will need to determine your calculated load to set up your timing map. I.E. you won't know where 5krpm and 20psi occurs (as an example). The good news is you can setup your load information and log it while you are still in map based timing to determine where you need to be.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:43 AM
meatbag

here's one explanation:
Makes sense in some ways but some of the stuff he says is a little weird to me. Would be cool to try it out and see.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:51 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by herrschaft
So only trailer queens in here, got it.
Considering he is a tuner that builds fast cars and the amount this car is getting customized it would be stupid to think this is a daily driver. It's a hobby car that is extreme.

Rich, that is some crazy extensive tuning stuff right there!
Old 06-01-2013, 07:02 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meatbag
The ones in the pics are 5858 CEA turbos. .86 A/R and the big compressor cover. I can go all the way up to the 6766 CEA before flange locations will have to move.
Twin 5858 CEA should spool nicely and still make in the neighborhood of 1000whp. Looking forward to seeing the results.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:40 AM
meatbag

Originally Posted by binder
Considering he is a tuner that builds fast cars and the amount this car is getting customized it would be stupid to think this is a daily driver. It's a hobby car that is extreme.

Rich, that is some crazy extensive tuning stuff right there!
I drove the car before everyday except when it rained. Once I figure out how to get filters on the new setup ill do the same thing. I also have e85 gas stations right by my house and right by the shop as well so that makes getting gas super easy as well.

Ive tuned RB26's using TPS as a load sorce but I used the TPS load table as a modifier and still used MAP/RPM as the main VE table.

Quick Reply: New setup in the works