Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

A couple quick Vortech questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 06:15 PM
titanjc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face A couple quick Vortech questions

I should hopefully be installing zimbo's Vortech supercharger on my Z within a couple weeks' time, and had a couple questions.

First, is any modification to the front bumper required? I'd like to keep the grill and everything as stock as possible to keep the intercooler somewhat hidden.

Second, which was somewhat addressed in another thread: Is there any way to NOT tap the oil pan? I was thinking that if anything DID happen to the car and I had to take it to a dealer for a warranty issue, I would maybe just buy another 350Z oil pan and swap it on if and when the time came. Then in another thread, I saw someone mention tapping the JWT oil pan spacer (I believe?). Is this do-able?

Last, kind of a trivial question. Has anyone mounted an HKS blow-off valve on the Vortech kit? The inner ricer in me loves the sound of the HKS super sequential BOV, and if it would be just a matter of bolting it onto the stock BOV mounting point, I would definitely shell out the extra green.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:24 PM
luanda

I am only basing this on my research...my kit is arriving shortly:

I don't believe any major front bumper mod is necessary, but perhaps some cutting into the FRP may be required. You do keep the aluminum cross-member. There may be some drill holes here and there that upon close investigation would allow a dealer to tell you had a kit of some sort installed. Current Vortech owners are best qualified to help you out here...

The JWT oil spacer in itself will not work - I believe that JWT will offer some sort of "J-Tube" to allow tapping the spacer and having the oil come in above the oil line, but this is not yet available, and moreover creates resistance against the downforce to get your oil flowing to the pan - not advisable. You should tap where Vortech tells you to - it really seems to be the best location to maximize flow.

The Vortech BOV has a very atypical non-standard shape, so it's unlikely you could get an HKS on there with some significant custom modding. Don't know why Vortech did this...

Hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:36 PM
lorinserbenz

Default Re: A couple quick Vortech questions

Originally posted by titanjc
I should hopefully be installing zimbo's Vortech supercharger on my Z within a couple weeks' time, and had a couple questions.

First, is any modification to the front bumper required? I'd like to keep the grill and everything as stock as possible to keep the intercooler somewhat hidden.

Second, which was somewhat addressed in another thread: Is there any way to NOT tap the oil pan? I was thinking that if anything DID happen to the car and I had to take it to a dealer for a warranty issue, I would maybe just buy another 350Z oil pan and swap it on if and when the time came. Then in another thread, I saw someone mention tapping the JWT oil pan spacer (I believe?). Is this do-able?

Last, kind of a trivial question. Has anyone mounted an HKS blow-off valve on the Vortech kit? The inner ricer in me loves the sound of the HKS super sequential BOV, and if it would be just a matter of bolting it onto the stock BOV mounting point, I would definitely shell out the extra green.
No mods to your bumper at all.
Cant use the JWT oil spacer, return line needs to be above the oils "sea level". You MIGHT be able to use the Power Enterprise pan but I personally I dont think it will work.
You could replace the upper pan but that would require engine removal to do it.
You would need to check with Vortech on the BOV, I dont think the HKS has the correct spring to work right with the Vortech. I have heard a rumor Vortech is going to release a new BOV for the 350/G35 kit soon.

Last edited by lorinserbenz; 08-14-2004 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:08 PM
SungNamZ

Gosh, where do I start? I did not remove the bumper to do the install on a "350Z". i elected to do a "dirty intall". In other words did not remove the "oil pan". I did however go to Lowes and go a right angle drill w/variable speed, Thus took it vey slow and pack the bit and cutter w/grease.

As for the BOC. Install the BOV thar came with the kit! You know something under the hood has changed.

If you are doing this DIY, the instructions are very straight forward.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:41 PM
gspot35

I agree you'll get a lot of sound from the Vortech's supplied blow-off valve. I believe a bov is a bov and depending on how you have it adjusted you will hear it just the same. Forget taking the s/c off if you require warranty service. It's too involved and there is no part on your car worth the price of removal and installation just to have Infiniti pay for it. Just get in good with your local dealer and tell them what you're planning. Feel them out as to whether they support your endeavors.

Originally posted by SungNamZ
Gosh, where do I start? I did not remove the bumper to do the install on a "350Z". i elected to do a "dirty intall". In other words did not remove the "oil pan". I did however go to Lowes and go a right angle drill w/variable speed, Thus took it vey slow and pack the bit and cutter w/grease.

As for the BOC. Install the BOV thar came with the kit! You know something under the hood has changed.

If you are doing this DIY, the instructions are very straight forward.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:04 PM
titanjc

I forgot to ask about spark plugs in my original post. I searched, but couldn't find anything. I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that it's a good idea to swap out the stock plugs for one step colder. Is this necessary? My car has less than 4000 miles on it, so the plugs will be good for a while.

If they need to be changed out, where's the best place to get the plugs I'll need?
Old 08-15-2004, 10:04 PM
lorinserbenz

I forgot to ask about spark plugs in my original post. I searched, but couldn't find anything. I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that it's a good idea to swap out the stock plugs for one step colder. Is this necessary? My car has less than 4000 miles on it, so the plugs will be good for a while.

If they need to be changed out, where's the best place to get the plugs I'll need?
These are one step colder than stock.
www.clubplug.net

Old 08-16-2004, 04:30 AM
titanjc

So it's necessary to change them out?
Old 08-16-2004, 05:39 AM
Durrr

not "necessary" but its there for peace of mind
Old 08-16-2004, 09:08 AM
lorinserbenz

So it's necessary to change them out?
Vortech recommends it in the instructions.