Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Berk metallic high-flow cats broke apart after 13 months of use (N/A)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Nismospeed4life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
I had them on my 03 for years and didn't mind the sound unlike most people. I equated the sound to something that belonged on a track.....
Thanks! Looks like I will get those instead. Do the come with the hanger hooks?
Old 04-17-2009, 08:11 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
Thanks! Looks like I will get those instead. Do the come with the hanger hooks?
Just to clarify, I'm talking about the straight test pipes by Helix. I bought those back in 2004. They do not have any hanger hooks, nor did the original OEM cats. The Helix pipes weighed only about 5 lbs each.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:34 PM
singh

I am not surprised. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Berk is a bad company. It's just that aftermarket companies can go only so far in terms of quality. I love my Berks, I think they sound perfect with my exhaust.

Brian is a nice guy man. The other day he pm'd me out of no where asking me if I needed muffler packing material to stuff in my O2 bungs (to help prevent future CEL's). I told him no thanks because I have never gotten a CEL (except this one time when I was driving pretty hard on cold cats, but I reset it and it never came back on).

Moral of the story is to not have such high expectations from aftermarket companies. Nothing beats OEM quality.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:44 PM
ginobetterfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian is a great guy... im 110% certain he'll take care of you as soon as you get a hold of him... i tried to email him about a month ago too and no response

try PM..
Old 04-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Axelerate

I would try calling them.

I also had the same thing happen only it was twice.

One set failed in June of 08 while on track, Berk replaced them free of charge thinking it was a fluke.

Then in November the same thing happened, again while on track. I would notice it because the metallic element would break apart and clog my Nismo exhaust causing exteme HP loss. I was relieved to find out it was only a cat though.

Berk again offered to replace them, but I instead went with their test pipes. No issues with the TP.

Berk has been great and I don't blame them, I believe they purchase the metallic cats from a 3rd party and then weld everyhting together.

For the street I seriously doubt anyone would have any issues, but the high heat of tracking seems to effect the elements and break them up.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:00 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

But why needs to contact berk? I thought warranty is one year.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:04 PM
tylerxfire

Default berk high flow metallic cat

well ill chime in, but let me say berk has been great to talk to, they have so far been very helpful and are warrantying both cats with no problem or questions asked have even called me to let me know how things are coming and when ill be shipped out and what not...I am running a vortech kit but i am tuned and my a/f is dead on 11.8 at most wot at redline, has never misfired, this sort of thing just happens, and im hoping i just got a bad batch, i figure they are warrantied so ill give them another shot and if it happens again swap them under warranty for their test pipes which they agreed to do..This is after 1,200 miles of use driver side shakes around inside the actual cat where it is starting to break and the pass. completely clogged, like u slammed a baseball bat in there, which is how i noticed from the exhaust note getting real quiet.. the pic looks a little blue from my flash, it is not blue or burnt or anything
Attached Thumbnails Berk metallic high-flow cats broke apart after 13 months of use (N/A)-clogged-pass.-side-cat.jpg  
Old 04-18-2009, 04:06 PM
tylerxfire

berk has always answered for me when u call during their operating hours...they are pacific time i beleive it is so it may be different from u
Old 04-18-2009, 06:47 PM
godmans

Originally Posted by Chef-J
But why needs to contact berk? I thought warranty is one year.
That's exactly what I was thinking....
Same thing happened to mine (when I discovered it a month ago when I failed sniff test misearbly), while the only difference was that I never tracked my car during the time when the cats were on.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:45 PM
tylerxfire

when there is warranty work that needs to be done u need to directly contact berk, not the vendor in which u bought it, just berk with a sales receipt
Old 04-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Dave B

Well this sucks. It seems pretty clear to me that most any make of HFCs has isues with the cat elements becoming loose after 1+ year of use. I was going to get the Berks, but now I think I'll have to pass because Berk has the same problem as everyone else. The answer is pretty clear that these companies need to go with a better cat element that can handle the high exhaust temps of the VQ.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:31 AM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by Dave B
Well this sucks. It seems pretty clear to me that most any make of HFCs has isues with the cat elements becoming loose after 1+ year of use. I was going to get the Berks, but now I think I'll have to pass because Berk has the same problem as everyone else. The answer is pretty clear that these companies need to go with a better cat element that can handle the high exhaust temps of the VQ.
Quoted for the mother******* truth!
Old 04-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by Dave B
I don't know what "these companies" mean. Not all aftermarket HFCs has issue.

I have no problem with my UR metallic HFC. 1000 milies trip, around 30 milies on hard dyno pulls and DD. And I had UR ceramic HFC when i was N/A, got it for used, no problem untill the day i sold. Previous owner and i, we were very happy with it and hopefully new owner enjoy with it. ( he just received them this weekend)

I also never heard any issue with Fast Intention HFCs too.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:08 PM
mthreat

I got an email from Bryan and Berk the night I started this thread. He explained some possible causes for the cats blowing out. Here's the relevant part of the email:
The cats are manufactured by Magnaflow and are the highest quality cat that we can buy. There are only two situations where the cat substrate will blow out like that.

1. Misfire events – when unburnt fuel hits the hot catalytic converter material it immediately ignites inside the cat. The catalyst material will glow red hot and eventually collapse and blow out.

2. Too lean of a mixture – overly lean mixtures will have a similar effect as the misfire. The temperatures get hot to the point where you actually burn the metal out of the cat. Same effect as above.

Two of the most common causes of this are a bad ignition coil or an aftermarket ECU (doesn’t apply to you). We’ve pushed over 500rwhp on these cats before and haven’t had any issues with them on a properly tuned car.
In all fairness, the right/passenger side bank could have blown out because I was having misfires on the right bank of my engine only, last October (although I think my cat was already blown out before then, but I don't know for sure so I can give the benefit of the doubt here). But the left/driver side did not have misfires, did not run out of tune (too rich or too lean). I just drive the car very hard on the track, but this is specifically what I asked before buying them -- if it would hold up to this.

Bryan at Berk offered to exchange my bad cats for a brand new set for a discounted price. But since he didn't say my cats could have been faulty, I don't see any reason why I would have any different results this time, so I do not plan to buy replacement cats. As I said above, I've ordered resonated test pipes.

I'm posting this in fairness to Berk, so others can decide what's best for their own situation.

For what it's worth, here is my own personal conclusion. Both CrawfordZ and Berk high-flow cats do add some horsepower. They are both probably fine for typical street use. But if you track your car regularly, I'm not convinced that these cats won't just continue to blow out. This doesn't mean the product is bad, it just means they shouldn't claim that the cats will last for track use if they have customers having these problems, which seems to be the case judging from responses in this thread and other threads.

I'll try to post another follow-up after I run my new test pipes at the track this weekend.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:21 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Subscribing for other manufacture suggestions - for track use HFCs.

so far, someone recommended...
UR metallic HFC
Fast Intention HFCs
Old 04-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Nismospeed4life

WOW Mthreat, great write up!! Thanks for the info.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Dave B

Originally Posted by thekinn
Subscribing for other manufacture suggestions - for track use HFCs.

so far, someone recommended...
UR metallic HFC
Fast Intention HFCs
I've read of failures with most of all the makes. I guess there's a good reason why Nissan choose to go with such large cats and pre-cats (ie to shed heat better).

One thing I've considered for years now is doing the setup I had on my 96 Maxima. The Federal-spec Maximas had two large precats in the y-pipe and then between the y-pipe and midpipe was cat. We'd remove the OEM y-pipe and replace it with an aftermarket y-pipe with no cats, but leave the main cat in place. This setup netted a solid 12whp/15wtq. I don't see why the same setup couldn't be fabbed for the Z/G by simply cutting out a portion of the midpipe, installing a cat, adding few bungs for the 02 sensors, extending the wires, and adding TPs. I would think this would aleviate the cat meltdown problem.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by gsingh350Z
Nothing beats OEM quality.
The above quote should be a banner on this site. Seriously! Vendors and aftermarket companies can only do so much but when the product itself is not up to OEM quality standards then it is what it is!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:44 PM
mthreat

I think some people have also blown out the OEM cats with heavy abuse too, but that isn't first-hand knowledge that I have.

I received the Kinetix test pipes and installed them tonight. I like them. Full review here: https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/4...ml#post7242256
Old 04-23-2009, 04:22 AM
Nismospeed4life

^^How do they sound compared with HFC's?

Quick Reply: Berk metallic high-flow cats broke apart after 13 months of use (N/A)