Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Berk metallic high-flow cats broke apart after 13 months of use (N/A)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 05:54 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave B
I've read of failures with most of all the makes. I guess there's a good reason why Nissan choose to go with such large cats and pre-cats (ie to shed heat better).

One thing I've considered for years now is doing the setup I had on my 96 Maxima. The Federal-spec Maximas had two large precats in the y-pipe and then between the y-pipe and midpipe was cat. We'd remove the OEM y-pipe and replace it with an aftermarket y-pipe with no cats, but leave the main cat in place. This setup netted a solid 12whp/15wtq. I don't see why the same setup couldn't be fabbed for the Z/G by simply cutting out a portion of the midpipe, installing a cat, adding few bungs for the 02 sensors, extending the wires, and adding TPs. I would think this would aleviate the cat meltdown problem.
Interesting - That sounds like an option I have with my new Motordyne XYZ, shockwave setup. There is a option piece after the XYZ pipe where I can install a straight pipe, resonator, or Catalytic converter. i currently run stock cats and the resonator.. I suppose I could switch to test pipes and purchase the cat piece from Motordyne..

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:50 PM
KS0385

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have FI HFC's but am getting them replaced with their Resonated Test Pipes. Nothing wrong with them. Just too quiet.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:38 PM
singh

My light came on a few days ago again for the second time. I'm gonna reset it and see how many miles I can go before it appears. It's weird that its happening now after owning it for about a year, I hope they're still intact inside.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:47 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by gsingh350Z
My light came on a few days ago again for the second time. I'm gonna reset it and see how many miles I can go before it appears. It's weird that its happening now after owning it for about a year, I hope they're still intact inside.

id prolly check, u saw mine right...and my driver side i could slide the catalyst around when shaking it around off the car back and forth..didnt get any lights though
Old 04-23-2009, 07:11 PM
mthreat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
^^How do they sound compared with HFC's?
I talk about the sound in the thread I linked to - https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/4...ml#post7242256
I was surprised -- they actually seem to be quieter than my (blown-out) Berk metallic high-flow cats. From inside the car, they have less of the sound I don't like around 4000 rpms. I'm not sure if it's rasp or not -- it's hard to tell from inside the car, but in any case, I think they actually sound better.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Changvi

Damn, i just ordered mine about two weeks ago. After reading this i am not quite sure if i made the right choice. I was thinking about UR high flows before i ordered Berk. The major decision breaker was the bracket support that Berk offered...I am going to have to write a full report after i have them installed, follow by a 6 months, then to a 1 year review...
Old 04-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Nismospeed4life

I also wanted the bracket option, however to my surprise Kinetix does not longer offer the bracket with their TP's because of fitment issues. I am just hoping that I have no issues with the Kinetix TP's that I just ordered.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:03 PM
xdrius
ZL33PR

Subscribed.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:08 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

For the most part I agree...but my stock cats cracked and got burned up after 1 1/2 years...

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
The above quote should be a banner on this site. Seriously! Vendors and aftermarket companies can only do so much but when the product itself is not up to OEM quality standards then it is what it is!
Old 04-24-2009, 12:29 PM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 04-24-2009, 05:25 PM
NIZZMO

Originally Posted by Changvi
Damn, i just ordered mine about two weeks ago. After reading this i am not quite sure if i made the right choice.
+1
Old 04-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Allen331

I swapped my berk cats from my old car to my new car and when I picked the berks up and tilted them side to side I heard something loose inside.. i'm willing to bet its blown then? I have them on my car right now and it doesn't sound like anything is wrong or rattling when the car is under acceleration though..

Last edited by Allen331; 04-24-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:11 AM
singh

^
wow more people have this problem and don't even know it. I'm willing to bet that mine are the same way, even though they sound the same..
Old 04-26-2009, 11:13 AM
godmans

I would want to see Berk stand up for us and talk to Magnaflow on this (if I am not wrong, they were using the Magnaflow core).

To the PO, if you want to start sth:
We can do a mass-post including all people who have problems with their Metallic substrate Berk HFCs.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:49 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by godmans
I would want to see Berk stand up for us and talk to Magnaflow on this (if I am not wrong, they were using the Magnaflow core).

To the PO, if you want to start sth:
We can do a mass-post including all people who have problems with their Metallic substrate Berk HFCs.

i have berks i had a problem but berk is great and stands by the product, and will take care of anyone with a problem what more can they do, these are not oem parts..
Old 04-26-2009, 01:14 PM
na_350z

I've had problems with Berk TP's & HFC's but Bryan always made it right. The TP's cracked within 3 months at the flange were it attaches to the Y-pipe. Then my first pair of HFC's cracked where the support bracket is located. It even burnt my O2 sensor and had to replace the O2 sensor. Second pair is still running fine but I know that it's going to give out soon. I just get that feeling... I don't track my car just daily drive it. Bryan told me that it could be that my exhaust flex's too much that cracks the TP's & HFC's... He also mentioned that it could be a bad motor mount. I had Nissan check it out and they told me the mounts are in good condition. So
Old 04-26-2009, 02:03 PM
sk26dett

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
I also wanted the bracket option, however to my surprise Kinetix does not longer offer the bracket with their TP's because of fitment issues. I am just hoping that I have no issues with the Kinetix TP's that I just ordered.

Despite kinetix's bad reputation for crappy products my used kinetix resonated test pipes have been running strong for over 2 years on my car and I dont know how long on the previous owners car. They've never cracked or given me any other issues, hopefully you have the same luck with yours... btw i'm running them with stock headers and a modified (welded) borla td.

I don't understand why so many people have issues with the internals of their hi flow cats. Is there that much stress on the cores? i could understand a crack on the outside, but cores falling apart is unacceptable imo, berk should fix the situation, especially if there's a warranty implied.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Nismospeed4life

^^Thanks! I wish to have your luck with the TP's as well.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:58 PM
NIZZMO

From what I have researched ,Im not going to worry about the Berk HFC's I ordered
seems like Berk is a stand up company that will stand behind there product.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:24 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by NIZZMO
From what I have researched ,Im not going to worry about the Berk HFC's I ordered
seems like Berk is a stand up company that will stand behind there product.

absolutely, i wouldnt worry at all, and if u are n/a i absolutely wouldnt think of worrying...and in the case anything ever happens berk is def. good about helping out and making things right

Quick Reply: Berk metallic high-flow cats broke apart after 13 months of use (N/A)