Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

cosworth intake plenum

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 03:51 PM
quietkilla6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cosworth intake plenum

Does anyone have one? Is there any info other than the advertising paragraph on the performance of the plenum? How it works on a stock z vs turbo or weither its worth the money. I figure its around the price of exhaust and the performance numbers seem a bit better than exhaust, but i havent herd anything about it since it came out. Anyone?
Old 06-13-2009, 04:41 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's really only good for FI applications
Old 06-13-2009, 05:27 PM
imonlykidden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ not unless you just want a spiffy looking engine bay!
Old 06-14-2009, 12:30 AM
urbanchaos

Originally Posted by NISMO_558
It's really only good for FI applications
Works as good as a spacer but its HOTT!! I have one and im N/A
Old 06-14-2009, 08:46 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by urbanchaos
Works as good as a spacer but its HOTT!! I have one and im N/A
I honestly doubt it will even make the power of a spacer on a stock N/A application.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:58 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
I honestly doubt it will even make the power of a spacer on a stock N/A application.

Eh...completely stock with just the spacer...prob 8-10whp. With exhaust, test pipes, headers, popcharger, and a good tune, you'll probably gain around 40-45whp total, depending on engine (DE/revup).

It does look badass in the engine bay too.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:05 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by kacz07
Eh...completely stock with just the spacer...prob 8-10whp. With exhaust, test pipes, headers, popcharger, and a good tune, you'll probably gain around 40-45whp total, depending on engine (DE/revup).

It does look badass in the engine bay too.
Not exactly sure what you are saying here, but it does look badass. I just can't spend 1300 on something because it looks "pretty" in my engine bay.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:46 AM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 06-14-2009, 11:52 AM
urbanchaos

The gains are the same but most people arnt going to pay 1000 bucks when they can get the same for 200 bucks. Im going for looks and power and when I do go FI I will already have it. So +1 for me. When I pop my hood they arnt going to say, oh looks like everyone else engine. They are going to...

Old 06-15-2009, 12:48 PM
kacz07

Not exactly sure what you are saying here, but it does look badass. I just can't spend 1300 on something because it looks "pretty" in my engine bay.
Uhh, I think I was pretty clear. If you install just the spacer, you'll gain 8-10 whp peak. Maybe better avg across the entire power band.

If you have full bolt ons and a good tune, you're looking at a total gain of 35-45whp depending on the engine you have (DE/revup).

Confused still?
Old 06-15-2009, 12:49 PM
kacz07

Originally Posted by NISMO_558
I appreciate your input. Care to share your logic?
Old 06-15-2009, 01:05 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Uhh, I think I was pretty clear. If you install just the spacer, you'll gain 8-10 whp peak. Maybe better avg across the entire power band.

If you have full bolt ons and a good tune, you're looking at a total gain of 35-45whp depending on the engine you have (DE/revup).

Confused still?
Alright magazine racer. I have forgotten more about vq engines than you have ever known. Yes, if you combine the right parts and a Great tune you can pick up 40whp ( I have picked up 41 over my baseline). 8-10 is excessive for just a spacer. Generally speaking bolt-ons and tune will net you 25-30whp. Now back on topic please.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Changvi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This plenum is not worth it IMO. It was confirmed in a few dyno sessions in a N/A Z that it had actually lost power throughout the RPM range, well, gained 2 whp only at certain RPM range........ No doubt it does look pretty, but to pay $1300 to lose power?? Sorry, I will stick with my Motordyne spacer.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:09 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Changvi
This plenum is not worth it IMO. It was confirmed in a few dyno sessions in a N/A Z that it had actually lost power throughout the RPM range, well, gained 2 whp only at certain RPM range........ No doubt it does look pretty, but to pay $1300 to lose power?? Sorry, I will stick with my Motordyne spacer.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:38 PM
urbanchaos

Im curious how it would lose power since the problem with the stock plenum was it wasnt getting as much air to the front and this doesnt have that problem so how could it lose power?
Old 06-17-2009, 09:05 AM
kacz07

Alright magazine racer. I have forgotten more about vq engines than you have ever known. Yes, if you combine the right parts and a Great tune you can pick up 40whp ( I have picked up 41 over my baseline). 8-10 is excessive for just a spacer. Generally speaking bolt-ons and tune will net you 25-30whp. Now back on topic please.
Ok, guy. Your tone and intent of your response is comical.

8-10whp is excessive for a new manifold? Really? Have you seen the net gains for the MD? I don't see why you think my numbers are unrealistic. Now back on topic please...wait we already are on topic. We're talking about the gains the Cosworth manifold spacer would have with and without a combination of bolt-ons.

So my range of 35-45whp was correct. You proved it yourself unless you're leaving something out of your sig. 41whp over baseline? Quit talking about yourself and all you've forgotten, like logic, and get back on topic.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:12 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it is not worth it on an otherwise stock engine, this is true

on an engine with the right cams/header combo, and some form of ecu tuning, it is a very, very worthwhile piece actually
Old 06-17-2009, 09:21 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Ok, guy. Your tone and intent of your response is comical.

8-10whp is excessive for a new manifold? Really? Have you seen the net gains for the MD? I don't see why you think my numbers are unrealistic. Now back on topic please...wait we already are on topic. We're talking about the gains the Cosworth manifold spacer would have with and without a combination of bolt-ons.

So my range of 35-45whp was correct. You proved it yourself unless you're leaving something out of your sig. 41whp over baseline? Quit talking about yourself and all you've forgotten, like logic, and get back on topic.
What's comical is me providing actual results while you continue to be nothing but speculative. Simple bolt-ons (intake, md 5/16 spacer, ur crank pulley, test-pipes, exhaust, and osiris tune) netted me 268.X whp. That's 27whp over stock. You will not make 8-10whp with just a spacer. I love their product, but those results are too high. As Adam stated, the cosworth is an expensive piece of eye candy on an otherwise stock (cam/head) DE. Is the plenum spacer a worthwhile mod, absolutely. Now back on topic about the COSWORTH manifold. Built engine yes, stock cam/head de no.

Do you have any dyno proof of gains with your Cosworth on your car? No, because you would have posted them instead of your continued speculation.

/end thread.

Sorry for the aggressive tone everyone, but I can't stand magazine/e dyno racing.

P.S Adam, thanks for sending me the shipping invoice yesterday.

Last edited by 03threefiftyz; 06-17-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:30 AM
KuNoichi

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
it is not worth it on an otherwise stock engine, this is true

on an engine with the right cams/header combo, and some form of ecu tuning, it is a very, very worthwhile piece actually
Z1 Performance,

I'm considering the Cosworth for my NA. I'm in the market for 250+ whp on my DE and I'm buying a lot of bolt-ons for power. I'm getting a reflash when I'm finished so would you recommend that I purchase a Cosworth now? Or is it only good if I have the engine rebuilt (cams,heards,etc)?

I have a Skunk2 spacer that came with my Z but I would love to get changed for the Cosworth or MD. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A spacer is ultimately a more cost effective solution for a car without cams, built motor, etc. The reality of the situation is the Cosworth is an absolutely fantastic piece....especially considering the price. While ~$1100 is nothing to sneeze at, for the quality of the piece you get, it's a bargain. Airflow wise, we've spent the last week or so playing with one on the flow bench and with the manometer - it's a stellar part. My engine builder said (paraphrased) "we couldn't build a VQ that would flow as much air as this thing will support" (N/A - I'm sure FI is a different ball game, but as we've seen, the Cosworth dwarfs a spacer for high boost situations). After spending the time with it on the bench, it was clear what Cosworth was trying to do with this piece. The airflow is nearly equalized among all cylinders right out of the box (extremely close to being totally equal between each cylinder, which is pretty neat for a production part), and the velocity is all geared around using the stock throttle body. They did their homework, and then some when they designed and created it. In addition, it is clear that Cosworth was going solely for power in the 5k + range. If we could rev a VQ to 10k or 11k, this thing would still keep up.

For that reason, it would be tremendous overkill for a mild setup such as yours. But, it certainly looks cool and would work; just that the spacer is the more cost effective method and would net you a bit better area under the curve on car with basic bolt ons. Ultimately, it comes down to your own personal preference.

I'll be posting dyno's with the Cosworth on my car within about 4 weeks I hope (fully built DE), so stay tuned to my thread in the built NA section

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 07-20-2009 at 04:52 AM.

Quick Reply: cosworth intake plenum