Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Interesting intake question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 05:59 PM
SNSH1NE_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting intake question

So I have an HR Z. I have Nismo R-Tune intakes, which stay in the engine bay. I was wondering if (i know it's hard to weld to aluminum) but make the RAM air intakes sit in front of the radiators by adding extra piping? Has anyone tried? Just food for thought if it never crossed your mind?
Old 03-26-2015, 06:32 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,049 Likes on 6,515 Posts

you have to have a aluminum welder. you could just try to get some silicone elbows to go through radiator support
Old 03-26-2015, 07:41 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by SNSH1NE_Z
sit in front of the radiators

This would be a horrible idea...

I understand the ram effect but why would you ever artificially heat your intake charge...the intake temp sensor (MAF) would retard your timing and you'd end up losing power. A better solution would be to drop them to either side of the radiator where your reflectors are.

Last edited by bealljk; 03-26-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:43 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by bealljk
This would be a horrible idea...

I understand the ram effect but why would you ever artificially heat your intake charge...the intake temp sensor (MAF) would retard your timing and you'd end up losing power. A better solution would be to drop them to either side of the radiator where your reflectors are.
its funny that you say that, being in front of the radiator and out of the engine bay you will the the coolest freshest air possible... so how is he heating it up? being that companies make them (ie stillen and injen) and they have been proven to give the most gains on the hr, you post is invalid

http://www.stillen.com/products/inta...ke-kit-100110/
Old 03-27-2015, 04:51 AM
SNSH1NE_Z

Originally Posted by travlee
you have to have a aluminum welder. you could just try to get some silicone elbows to go through radiator support
I gotcha. Might be a small project of mine?
Old 03-27-2015, 05:04 AM
travlee
Master

this is how injen did theirs

and stillen

with the injen ones you can make it go through the radiator support without cutting it, the stillen ones you have to enlarge the opening

Last edited by travlee; 03-27-2015 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:28 AM
SNSH1NE_Z

this is how injen did theirs

and stillen

with the injen ones you can make it go through the radiator support without cutting it, the stillen ones you have to enlarge the opening
I gotcha. It would not lower performance and possibly make ot better?
Old 03-27-2015, 06:54 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by SNSH1NE_Z
I gotcha. It would not lower performance and possibly make ot better?
Any time you can get the intake inlets into cleaner, cooler air (without obstructing air flow to other critical components - read: cooling), will offer some improvements in engine performance.

I'd be concerned just how a custom built intake like this would affect A/F ratio and how the MAF(s) would interpret the difference and signal the ECU to "open up fuel flow". But I'd guess this is a minor concern as the Stillen and Injen units that Trav mentioned don't seem to create mixture problems.

On that note, kinda have to weigh the time/cost difference between "fab work" needed to achieve somethng that is already available off-the-shelf. But it sounds like a fun project.

Please do let us know which irrigation pipes and elbows from Home Depot are required.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:58 AM
travlee
Master

i am sure that alot of R&D has gone into making the long tube intakes as to where the MAF goes etc, i would lean towards trying to pic up a used set and sale the nismo ones
Old 03-27-2015, 06:17 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

its funny that you say that, being in front of the radiator and out of the engine bay you will the the coolest freshest air possible... so how is he heating it up? being that companies make them (ie stillen and injen) and they have been proven to give the most gains on the hr, you post is invalid

http://www.stillen.com/products/inta...ke-kit-100110/
ahh ****...I totally read that post wrong!! tail between legs, mouth shut!!

Last edited by bealljk; 03-27-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:52 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Aluminum can be glued with clear epoxy. I do it all the time to mount all my custom aero bits. Difficult part is figuring out a way to clamp it while the epoxy cures.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:18 AM
SNSH1NE_Z

Default Update

So it wasn't too hard to put on the intakes, but the strut bar was a pain. It sounds great! It feels a tad bit more powerful in midrange and top end. So before I commit to trying this conversion to a long tube intake. I feel the Nismo intakes are a lot bigger than that of stillen and injen. I feel the tubing is bigger and so is the filter. With that being said, if I connect this piping to make it a long tube intake, and let's say the tube is bigger, does that mean more air than what would be from stillen or injen? What do you guys think before I commit?
Old 03-29-2015, 08:02 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

That's a lot of feels with no accurate measurements, and you're thinking too much. Just do it and report back.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:06 AM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Any time you can get the intake inlets into cleaner, cooler air (without obstructing air flow to other critical components - read: cooling), will offer some improvements in engine performance.

I'd be concerned just how a custom built intake like this would affect A/F ratio and how the MAF(s) would interpret the difference and signal the ECU to "open up fuel flow". But I'd guess this is a minor concern as the Stillen and Injen units that Trav mentioned don't seem to create mixture problems.

On that note, kinda have to weigh the time/cost difference between "fab work" needed to achieve somethng that is already available off-the-shelf. But it sounds like a fun project.

Please do let us know which irrigation pipes and elbows from Home Depot are required.
Lmfao! Yeah dood, use some 3" piping and a 3" 90 elbow, better use sch-40 so its nice and strong too XD

Nahh, for real though, please don't use irrigation pipe lolol