Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Stage 1 Bolt ons and now tuned

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 05:34 PM
Sebastian777

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stage 1 Bolt ons and now tuned

So I went to Dynosty in Louisville, KY (http://www.dynosty.com/) today to get my car tuned after doing a few bolt ons. Injen SES (1987 TT) cbe, ARK R-Spec HFCs, Motordyne 5/16 Copper ISO Plenum Spacer, and MREV2.

The ARK R-Spec High Flow Cats. These are resonated HFCs that I couldn't find ANY reviews on as far as 350Zs. I was set on Fast Intentions, but wasn't willing to wait the 3-5 week lead time. Fortunately I got these on sale for the same price as FIs, they normal go for $730. Wish I could give a better review, but I had them installed the same time as my exhaust, so I have no real before and after comparison. I can say they appear to be a quality product with good welds. There was no fitment issues despite the huge resonator hanging off them. Below this ARK's stock pics, plus ones I took of mine in my living room.

The crew at Dynosty are just a cool group of people. You can tell they all enjoy working there. While waiting for the car to get tuned, a few of them stopped while walking by just to chat for a few minutes. Everyone seemed knowledgeable as well. I haven't been to any other tuning shops to compare Dynosty too, but it just seemed like a good atmosphere. Logan, their sales guy, is one who doesn't just try to rack up his sales ticket. Instead of trying to sell me an intake, he told me that other than for sound, was pretty much a waste for me at this point. Hal, their tuner, took the time to explain a lot to me and was happy to answer any questions that I had.

So the results. The tune got me 10 more peak WHP over my bolt ons by themselves. Hal said that a bone stock RevUp dynos at about 250 hp on there Dynojet. After my tune, my car is sitting at 271.

Small caution to those who put a bunch of bolt ons on their car and don't get it tuned. From the first dyno graph below, you can see my AFR was almost 15 . Hal said that while just driving around town wouldn't be dangerous, a track day or two could have caused me problems.

Here's the link to the dyno pull. (Can we not embed youtube videos?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPbs...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Sebastian777; 02-03-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:28 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

Kinda sucks spending all that money for just 10whp huh. Mine with mods no tune hit 269, after tune 281 (on mustang dyno which read on lower side)

but most cars are similar, i spent 6k on the vette for 45whp (about half that was labor....so 3k ish on parts)

does it seem snappier to you?
Old 02-04-2017, 06:26 AM
Sebastian777

Originally Posted by travlee
Kinda sucks spending all that money for just 10whp huh. Mine with mods no tune hit 269, after tune 281 (on mustang dyno which read on lower side)

but most cars are similar, i spent 6k on the vette for 45whp (about half that was labor....so 3k ish on parts)

does it seem snappier to you?
The car is more responsive. It feels like I got more than an 8% (21 hp from bone stock) boost in power. Tuner said less than half of my tuning gains was in AFR, most of it was in timing.

I have mixed emotions about the exhaust sound. I love the louder, meaner sound, but it does drone a bit from 1800-2500 rpm. I find myself correct by riding a lower gear longer. So at 60 I'm still in 5th instead of 6th. I do remember people saying there was a break in period for the Injen cbe though.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:55 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

As it gets coated with carbon it will change some, for the drone i lined the spare tire area and back wall of the hatch with dynomat. It really cut down on cabin noise
Old 02-04-2017, 08:03 AM
Sebastian777

Originally Posted by travlee
As it gets coated with carbon it will change some, for the drone i lined the spare tire area and back wall of the hatch with dynomat. It really cut down on cabin noise
Hadn't thought about that. Thanks.