Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

AAM 3" Dual exhaust/ power loss

Old 05-09-2011, 04:03 PM
NFSP 350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AAM 3" Dual exhaust/ power loss

Im trying to find an exhaust that will be to my liking now and in the future. Now Im running a N/A setup but in the next 2 years I plan on going supercharged. Will I lose power with this exhaust on an NA setup? Ive used search. No good results. Please help
Old 05-09-2011, 04:12 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You will lose low end torque and may gain a lil HP up top N/A.

I think its overkill to run a 3''dual on a supercharged VQ, and also you need back pressure with the supercharger.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:15 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Exhaust diameter, Horsepower and torque have never been discussed before. Isn't it about time we brought this matter into the light.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:46 PM
NFSP 350

^ Yes that would be nice.

I am open to recommendations on exhaust. I do want duel tip exhaust not personally a fan of single exhaust. Really wanted Greddy Evo TT but ofcourse its discontinued. Then found and heard Injen Super SES and wanted that but also discontinued. Why are all the exhaust I like discontinued?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:46 PM
paulpoca2003

LOL I'm pretty sure davidv was being sarcastic and telling you to search...

anyways yes you will lose some torque!!! 3" TDs way too big for na and prob overkill for turbo too. Idk anything about superchargerd Z so cant tell you much about it. For NA 2.25-2.5 is ideal if you got TD. 2.75-3 if you have single.

If I were you I would get something that works best for NA first then another one when you go FI.

I bought my greddy dual turbo ti-c a (2.75 TD)few months ago thinking I'll go FI soon but now I regret it lol... idk how much tq I lost but I think I lost a decent amout....................
Old 05-10-2011, 09:38 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

3 in is too big, as david says, it has been discussed often and found to be the case.

I will add my 2 cents and say that for a guy like me w pretty much every bolt on for a NA engine, every part made it run worse and worse and worse.. UNTIL.. i got it tuned. then it was like an on switvch to all my mods.. i swear to God its like a frikn transformer now...

SO, not to take it off topic.. 3 inch is too big, and keep in mind all NA mods are fairly useles until the ECU can account for them w a real reflash and tune. Youll need it for your s charger anyways, so id get a Cobb or something now and go from there.
No no to 3 in exhaust. 2.25 only from what i hear anyways. My XO2 exhaust killed my low end torque until the flash.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:06 AM
nyZ_nick

I have the AAM 3" true dual. I have yet to get uprev tuned. It may be overkill for now but im TTing later on. Sounds crazy loud and the driver side pipe dings the underbrace if I hit a bump. Gonna get the brace lowered.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Use the Motordyne Shockwave))) TDX. It will give you the best results for both applications. And it doesn't drone.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 05-23-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:03 PM
350sx23

I have AAM true dual and it may be overkill but lets be serious here if you really care about 3-5 mid range hp you care too much. the sound of this exhaust is amazing and looks better than any on the market. I have maneuvered it a bit so it doesn't hit and rattle anymore and i love it. highly recommend
Old 05-23-2011, 12:10 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

post up some Vids. I kinda 4got what mine sounded like. its been years
Old 05-23-2011, 04:41 PM
nyZ_nick

I completely agree. What did you do to manuever it from rattling and dinging? My other pipe pushed a couple centimeters of my rear bumper also which is whats preventing me from doing a bumper tuck. I posted a pic in the bumper tuck thread but no feedback

Originally Posted by 350sx23
I have AAM true dual and it may be overkill but lets be serious here if you really care about 3-5 mid range hp you care too much. the sound of this exhaust is amazing and looks better than any on the market. I have maneuvered it a bit so it doesn't hit and rattle anymore and i love it. highly recommend
Old 05-23-2011, 04:53 PM
midz350

I'm sure you haven't seen the SFR Dual 3" HKS Carbon Titanium exhaust
Old 05-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NFSP 350
Im trying to find an exhaust that will be to my liking now and in the future. Now Im running a N/A setup but in the next 2 years I plan on going supercharged. Will I lose power with this exhaust on an NA setup? Ive used search. No good results. Please help
We offer both the NA and FI version of the Shockwave))) TDX.

The NA version of Shockwave))) is a hybrid of dual 2.5" and dual 3" pipes.
The primary pipes are dual 2.5" and from the midpipe resonator on back it is all dual 3".

If you want, you can start with the NA version which will give you the best NA results of any exhaust on the market and its good to 600HP. You will probably get better dyno results with this exhaust even with a supercharger but if you still need more flow capasity you can easily convert it to full dual 3" by simply changing out the 2.5" primary pipes to 3" primary pipes.

And if you are under 600HP you will get better results with the 2.5" primary pipes. But even if you do have more than 600HP, with the Motordyne Shockwave))) you don't have to buy an all new exhaust to go from 600HP to 1000+ HP. You only need to change the primary pipes.

And Shockwave))) doesn't drone in either configuration. No other full dual 3" exhaust can do this.

No need to accept a compromise for your exhaust. Get the best sound and performance NA or FI with Motordyne.

PS - and it fits perfectly.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:14 AM
midz350

^^ I have only heard good things about their products
Old 05-24-2011, 05:55 PM
350sx23

Originally Posted by midz350
I'm sure you haven't seen the SFR Dual 3" HKS Carbon Titanium exhaust
I have, i hate carbon wrapped mufflers looks dumb no point to it etc.. only dislike i have with my aam is that the tips are rivet on to the SS muffler and not one piece..
Old 05-24-2011, 05:58 PM
350sx23

Originally Posted by nyZ_nick
I completely agree. What did you do to manuever it from rattling and dinging? My other pipe pushed a couple centimeters of my rear bumper also which is whats preventing me from doing a bumper tuck. I posted a pic in the bumper tuck thread but no feedback
I didnt do the tuck because it doesnt do much for me so i cant speak to that, but i added another hanger on the driver side b/c i have access to weld and allowed me to keep it more stiff near that area. Also when it was hitting it bent one of my TP flanges over time of heating cooling and deformation. I replaced them with megan long tubes and did it all at the same time to make sure it all fit and didnt rattle etc..
Old 05-25-2011, 07:20 PM
NFSP 350

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
We offer both the NA and FI version of the Shockwave))) TDX.

The NA version of Shockwave))) is a hybrid of dual 2.5" and dual 3" pipes.
The primary pipes are dual 2.5" and from the midpipe resonator on back it is all dual 3".

If you want, you can start with the NA version which will give you the best NA results of any exhaust on the market and its good to 600HP. You will probably get better dyno results with this exhaust even with a supercharger but if you still need more flow capasity you can easily convert it to full dual 3" by simply changing out the 2.5" primary pipes to 3" primary pipes.

And if you are under 600HP you will get better results with the 2.5" primary pipes. But even if you do have more than 600HP, with the Motordyne Shockwave))) you don't have to buy an all new exhaust to go from 600HP to 1000+ HP. You only need to change the primary pipes.

And Shockwave))) doesn't drone in either configuration. No other full dual 3" exhaust can do this.

No need to accept a compromise for your exhaust. Get the best sound and performance NA or FI with Motordyne.

PS - and it fits perfectly.
This quite interesting. I will definatly look into this exhaust.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:16 AM
nyZ_nick

I didnt do the tuck because it doesnt do much for me so i cant speak to that, but i added another hanger on the driver side b/c i have access to weld and allowed me to keep it more stiff near that area. Also when it was hitting it bent one of my TP flanges over time of heating cooling and deformation. I replaced them with megan long tubes and did it all at the same time to make sure it all fit and didnt rattle etc..
Think you can show me a pic?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:16 PM
350sx23

Originally Posted by nyZ_nick
Think you can show me a pic?
really the best way to do it is find a shop that will let you get under it on a lift, undo a few bolts lign up the muffler sections, hold those in place w/ exhaust lifts then re-tighten it all.. proceed to shake violently and when it makes noice use the zaust jack to crank it up or pull it down depending on where its hitting then have someone hold it there and modify accordingly.

PITA i know but its worth it to get rid of the rattle. My fix might not work for you and taking pics of it is near impossible.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:18 AM
chodalak

i say get it! it sounds nice

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AAM 3" Dual exhaust/ power loss