Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Sputtering During Warm-up

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Neal516

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roscoezed
What is involved with replacing the gaskets? I have ordered up some new ones. £12. Is it literally unbolt replace gaskets and back together? Or are there other bits inside the cover that need to be replaced?
i mean, I would replace them if you had low oil psi, and after you tried the procedure I from the fsm I posted before.
(exhaust valve timing learning).

the drivers side passenger replacement is simple. the passenger side is obstructed by the power steering pump bracket, and it has to be removed first. the passenger side is a real pain and takes a few hours

Last edited by Neal516; 08-15-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Roscoezed

Originally Posted by Neal516
i mean, I would replace them if you had low oil psi, and after you tried the procedure I from the fsm I posted before.
(exhaust valve timing learning).

the drivers side passenger replacement is simple. the passenger side is obstructed by the power steering pump bracket, and it has to be removed first. the passenger side is a real pain and takes a few hours
Did you manage to sort your problem out then? If so what did you do to solve it?
Old 08-16-2013, 08:18 AM
Neal516

Did you manage to sort your problem out then? If so what did you do to solve it?
only thing I have did so far was the exhaust valve timing control procedure. that fixed a hesitation issue I had

setting the cam phasing tables to 0 fixed the sputtering. which links the sputtering to the VCT mechanism

determaining the oil pressure, and checking for gasket leaks is part of the troubleshooting process listed for the VTC system in the FSM. a TSB was released to emphasize the oil pressure part...which may imply that nissan is having issues with the vtc system on these cars
Old 08-17-2013, 05:18 AM
Roscoezed

Originally Posted by Neal516
only thing I have did so far was the exhaust valve timing control procedure. that fixed a hesitation issue I had

setting the cam phasing tables to 0 fixed the sputtering. which links the sputtering to the VCT mechanism

determaining the oil pressure, and checking for gasket leaks is part of the troubleshooting process listed for the VTC system in the FSM. a TSB was released to emphasize the oil pressure part...which may imply that nissan is having issues with the vtc system on these cars
Surely setting the cam phasing tables to 0 is only a temporary fix as the vtc will no longer be operating? There must be something else that can be done to sort the issue for good...
Old 08-17-2013, 07:30 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Surely setting the cam phasing tables to 0 is only a temporary fix as the vtc will no longer be operating? There must be something else that can be done to sort the issue for good...
It wasn't a fix, it was a test to prove it was the exhaust cam phasing causing the issue.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:07 AM
Roscoezed

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
It wasn't a fix, it was a test to prove it was the exhaust cam phasing causing the issue.
I see, so we no that the exhaust cam phasing is causing the issue, where do we go next? Revised vtc covers?
Old 08-17-2013, 11:03 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You then follow the TSB for problems with the exhaust cam phasing.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:35 AM
Roscoezed

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
You then follow the TSB for problems with the exhaust cam phasing.
I've tried the relearn process of holding the rpm for 20 seconds and no change. Can this only be done while plugged in to the consult unit?
Old 08-29-2013, 03:06 AM
Abbey m/s

The exhaust cam isnt oil controlled. It uses a magnetic to control the the cam position using duty cycle.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Neal516

Originally Posted by Abbey m/s
The exhaust cam isnt oil controlled. It uses a magnetic to control the the cam position using duty cycle.
the intake side is
Old 08-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Abbey m/s

Default issue

it is the exhaust that cam control that is causing the issue.

We have done some work @ Abbey on this issue , logged the car with the Uprev software.

We have noticed the way the exhaust cam control works that is over compensates the cam angle initial this makes the car go very rich before it settles to the cam angle in the cam map (exhaust)

We have also done some development with our 350Z rev up race car with Syvecs S6 ECU and to control the exhaust cam we have to have a very aggressive P.I.D set up to get the cam moving before we can close loop control the exhaust cam , the magnetic control that Nissan use on the exhaust cam isn't very accurate.

We feel different oil causes the magnetic cam control to work differently , I feel with some work on the exhaust cam map this issue could be cured. it will require a Uprev license and some tuning work thou.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:50 AM
Neal516

Originally Posted by Abbey m/s
it is the exhaust that cam control that is causing the issue.

We have done some work @ Abbey on this issue , logged the car with the Uprev software.

We have noticed the way the exhaust cam control works that is over compensates the cam angle initial this makes the car go very rich before it settles to the cam angle in the cam map (exhaust)

We have also done some development with our 350Z rev up race car with Syvecs S6 ECU and to control the exhaust cam we have to have a very aggressive P.I.D set up to get the cam moving before we can close loop control the exhaust cam , the magnetic control that Nissan use on the exhaust cam isn't very accurate.

We feel different oil causes the magnetic cam control to work differently , I feel with some work on the exhaust cam map this issue could be cured. it will require a Uprev license and some tuning work thou.
okay, I think their might be many things going on. I noticed my HR car would spike extremely lean (and missfire) right around the beginning of the cam advance (According the uprev maps) when I zeroed that column out on uprev, it solved the problem. I did this blindly on both intake and exhaust side. because there is no target log on uprev (just actual cam advance). So I couldnt really tell which side had the miss match. simply expanding the X axis on uprev, and moving the entire advance from 2800 to 3000 made the car very smooth

Also, the passenger side (right side...whichever) VTC cover was revised, I have comparison pictures. the newer one has a much larger oil gallery.

either or, regardless of the solution, the problem can be safely narrowed down to the VTC assembly. In this case, people can stop blindly replacing o2 sensors and other parts that were previously thought to be culprit.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:48 PM
Neimad

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ECM TSB reflash can be corrupted. I found a tech that disabled VTC to pinpoint, re-reflashed, relearn and problem is gone, customer has not returned.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Roscoezed

Uprev remap completely solved this issue for me. 08 HR
Old 12-04-2013, 12:51 AM
Awsam

This is a common problem with 07-08 V36 Skyline sedans VQ35 (G35 sedan). In Australia there is zero help from Nissan or Infiniti.
We've confirmed the issue is with the Vale timing magnetic retarder in some way.
There is a ECU update that apparently mostly fixes the issue, but there is no way to get it and I have not been able to find any information on the update at all.

Check out the thread, it may add more info for you guys.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for...-anyone/page-5
Old 01-14-2014, 08:25 AM
morphling

Guys, could anyone please explain what is VTC cover? and which of them should I replace?

Sorry for clumsy language but I am not familiar with names of specific parts. In my country I asked Nissan for help however they proved helpless and hopeless, their solution was replacement of the half of the car... or at least as many so I can’t afford it and resign. Now I am trying to find out what might be wrong myself and consult my research with car tech...

Edit. OK thanks to google I know what it is VTC cover, my another question is how dose replacement of this part influence the work of the camshaft?

Last edited by morphling; 01-15-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:16 PM
Emski

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The guys across the pond might be on to something.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for...anyone/page-10
Old 06-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Euro_Z33

So here's a report from Switzerland. I drive a 08 HR. I have the same problem that started after an oil change. I still drive it and try to solve the problem via Uprev but no change. I swapped from 5w-30 to Motul 15w-50 Competition Formula 300V. I also swapped the normal Oil Filter, to an HKS Oil Filter.

Please note for other readers, the problem started AFTER the oil change. During the warm up it's sputtering between 1750-2000 rpm. After that you can drive it normaly in every zone. But when i logged it with the Cipher Tool i saw clearly, that there's something not working right. Please pay attention to the Exhaust Cam Advance line ( second line ) on the attached image. Sorry for the poor quality, couldn't manage to do print screen. If somebody has a good advice for me please tell me. Uprev Flash was not successful. I'll swap back to original Nissan Oil and then report.
Attached Thumbnails Sputtering During Warm-up-foto.jpg  
Old 07-25-2014, 08:54 AM
Euro_Z33

Okey i swapped to Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30. Problem has been solved Totally!
Old 07-25-2014, 09:03 AM
Emski

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It goes away with new oil change. Only time will tell.

Quick Reply: Sputtering During Warm-up