Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

CHECK ENGINE, SLIP and TCS LIGHT is on! PLS HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 09:52 PM
erniec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHECK ENGINE, SLIP and TCS LIGHT is on! PLS HELP

Hi, my fellow learned zed lovers,

I own an 03 zed and love it to bits. I have never encountered any problems at all except squeeling of the brake pads which i know isnt much. Thus yesterday i brought it to a mechanic(MIDAS) to have my rotors machined.
After making my payment, i tried to drive off but the engine took so much longer to crank and when it did the check engine, slip and tcs light came on and shortly after the car stalled on its own. The mechanics couldnt do anything as their OBD scanner was outdated and couldnt detect fault. I also tried the manual ecu reset which didnt do anything to remove the error.

So guys have you got any idea what on earth went wrong? I think he must have messed with some sensors whilst taking out the rotors. I am DEPRESSED! Thanks in advance guys.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:57 PM
MODDEDZ

Sounds like they messed up your abs sensor(s). Not sure about the check engine light, though.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:58 PM
1GR8350Z

Originally Posted by MODDEDZ
Sounds like they messed up your abs sensor(s). Not sure about the check engine light, though.
You are exactly right sir. My CEL stays on all the time but I can attest to the same experience on the other lights

Last edited by 1GR8350Z; 04-24-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:59 PM
jblz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant help you with the mechanics, but I would certainly hold their feet to the fire. "We don't know what went wrong" is not an excuse. There is no excuse in this case, only a result...that your car had better come out like it went in...no matter what it takes, and it sounds like the responsibility is on them.

This may be a case for a regional manager, someone who isn't personally involved in that particular shop. Good luck
Old 04-24-2010, 11:25 PM
erniec

Hey guys thanks for the quick reply. Im sure the abs sensors are messed up. The big issue is the check engine light, the stalling and the taking longer then usual cranking. Im now unsure to take it back to MIDAS or back to a nissan dealership to have a look. What ya reckon?
Old 04-24-2010, 11:31 PM
1GR8350Z

Did you point this out to them before you left Midas's lot? They will probably give you hassle if not
Old 04-25-2010, 03:03 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

a. Wheels and tires were put back on the car properly? Do not assume. Inspect each.

b. Did the shop replace brake pads? Check brake fluid.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:31 AM
erniec

Yeah i did notify them of the problems before i left. I didnt get my pads changed. i only got the rotors machined.Thanks for the replies
Old 04-25-2010, 10:19 AM
juelz86z3303

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my opinion hold them at fault. our cars are so delegate from all this technology/ sensors. 350z-370z automatically let you know whats the problem by triggering the lights . abs i think that they were too inexperience to work on the z since they machine was too out dated to rear and identify your problems and cel light yeah maybe the really didnt do something right. in spect and take picturesof anything that was out of place assuming that you do attemp to look/analyse/ work on your own wip.. but if somethings out bring it to them... these cars hardly have problems when taken care of they are not like the s30-z31-z33. i own a z31 and finding out whats wrong with that puppy is seriously a pita. lol and it turbo so it have all types of sensor to monitor but you will never know whats the prob until you start inspectiing. THATS WHY THE OLDER Z'S HATE THE Z33. more intuned with the driver... but good luck on this .. also buy a haynes book cause abs- have to be reset buy the stealership.. but you will be more aware on what is always goiing on with the z and you will get familar wit any syntoms that may occur that you will solve..
Old 04-25-2010, 08:30 PM
zzzcoupe

this sounds like your camshaft position sensor went out. recently happended to my car and had all the same syptoms it would explain the difficulty starting as the sensor cant locate the the camshafts position properly and doesnt know when exactly to fire so the start is delayed. get an obd 2 and check the code if its p0340 this is your problem
good luck
Old 05-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Starchecker

I just had a similar issue. I had my front brake pads replaced, machined rotors etc, but that was two weeks ago. I also just had my rear bumper repainted from a minor fender dent.

When I went to start the car this morning the TCS and SLIP light are both on. The car runs fine.

I notices some strange occurances with the slip light coming on and cutting of the throttle when I would be in some fairly aggresive turns, BUT the car wasn't slipping at all, it just thought it was.

Any ideas?
Old 05-28-2010, 05:47 PM
PowerExcel

I would goto harbor freight and buy their 50dollar scanner, use it to identify the code being thrown, write it down, clear it, and then take the scanner back to get your 50.00 back. Any autozone/advanced auto/pepboys will scan your car for free, and there is also a write-up on here, how to put your ecu in diagnostic mode to show your engine codes in pulsing flashes, and identify how to read them, to help identify your problem. I have personally had these same problems, lights on, at different times. Now with 77,000 on my car, I've replaced the knock sensor, 02 sensors, camshaft sensors, and crankshaft sensor. 95% sure your issue sounds to be the camshaft sensor(s), a camshaft sensor is 80.00 a pop, I would replace both, if you have over 70,000.
Edit: To reset the codes by removing the batt. terminals, you need to leave the battery unhooked for 15+mins, to drain your pedal memory as well..

Last edited by PowerExcel; 05-28-2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-28-2010, 06:03 PM
PowerExcel

Starchecker, do you have after market wheels?
Old 05-29-2010, 04:50 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Starchecker
I just had a similar issue. I had my front brake pads replaced, machined rotors etc, but that was two weeks ago. I also just had my rear bumper repainted from a minor fender dent.

When I went to start the car this morning the TCS and SLIP light are both on. The car runs fine.

I notices some strange occurances with the slip light coming on and cutting of the throttle when I would be in some fairly aggresive turns, BUT the car wasn't slipping at all, it just thought it was.

Any ideas?
From the OWNERS MANUAL
If a malfunction occurs in the traction control
system, the SLIP and TCS indicator lights
come on in the meter panel.
As long as these indicator lights are on, the
traction control function (except the ABS) is
canceled. The vehicle will behaves like a
model without the traction control system.
Sounds like your wheel speed sensors were damaged or knocked out of alignment when the rotors were done. If it worked fine for two weeks then just started, it could be unrelated to the work done and just failed for some other reason.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:05 AM
Ronin82

for the last couple weeks, there had been some instances were my Z had trouble kicking over, nothing crazy, thought it was kinda a fluke.

Then yesterday while coming home from the gun range, it did it again, stopped at Walmart to get something and left the car running with AC for my girl.

When I came out and got in, my SLIP light, TCS light(which i ways keep off anyway, but wouldnt shut off) and SES were on. driving home it was hella sluggish. Hardley any pull.

Dropped it off at JMS Racing, San Antonio. Diagnoses was a knock sensor and a Camshaft position sensor.

$370.00 and several hours later, problem solved. Actually when I drove off, it really feels like this restored alot of lost torque. 1st/2nd/3rd gears pick up alot harder and smoother. huge difference.

Thanx Joaquin and Antonio@JMS.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:58 AM
meanz

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

check your brake fluid. mine was doing this and it was low on fluid.

Originally Posted by Starchecker

Any ideas?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Ronin82

Originally Posted by Ronin82
for the last couple weeks, there had been some instances were my Z had trouble kicking over, nothing crazy, thought it was kinda a fluke.

Then yesterday while coming home from the gun range, it did it again, stopped at Walmart to get something and left the car running with AC for my girl.

When I came out and got in, my SLIP light, TCS light(which i ways keep off anyway, but wouldnt shut off) and SES were on. driving home it was hella sluggish. Hardley any pull.

Dropped it off at JMS Racing, San Antonio. Diagnoses was a knock sensor and a Camshaft position sensor.

$370.00 and several hours later, problem solved. Actually when I drove off, it really feels like this restored alot of lost torque. 1st/2nd/3rd gears pick up alot harder and smoother. huge difference.

Thanx Joaquin and Antonio@JMS.

So I'm right back where I started, except no starting issues, just everything thing else stated? Wouldn't say its as bad as when the CPS went out, but it feels like it did before it lead to that problem.
Question, could chanhing your sensors but not changing the harness's cause me this to happen?? Any suggestions before I take it back???
Oh, not throwing CEL's either, just feels symptomatic prior to the CPSgoing out, minus starting issues.

Last edited by Ronin82; 01-09-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:34 AM
gregory71687

Originally Posted by juelz86z3303
my opinion hold them at fault. our cars are so delegate from all this technology/ sensors. 350z-370z automatically let you know whats the problem by triggering the lights . abs i think that they were too inexperience to work on the z since they machine was too out dated to rear and identify your problems and cel light yeah maybe the really didnt do something right. in spect and take picturesof anything that was out of place assuming that you do attemp to look/analyse/ work on your own wip.. but if somethings out bring it to them... these cars hardly have problems when taken care of they are not like the s30-z31-z33. i own a z31 and finding out whats wrong with that puppy is seriously a pita. lol and it turbo so it have all types of sensor to monitor but you will never know whats the prob until you start inspectiing. THATS WHY THE OLDER Z'S HATE THE Z33. more intuned with the driver... but good luck on this .. also buy a haynes book cause abs- have to be reset buy the stealership.. but you will be more aware on what is always goiing on with the z and you will get familar wit any syntoms that may occur that you will solve..
I am pretty sure that is your problem I had the same problem not to expensive or hard to replace. It explains everything and abs sensor should not make the car stall
Old 03-05-2015, 11:32 AM
adam-all-day

my vdc, slip, and cel are on. I start it up and the rpms wont go passed 1500. I changed out both camshaft position sensors, cleaned out the throttle body, cleared the codes, left the battery unplugged for several hours, cleaned the maf, ive done everything i can think of. Still no power. Feels like limp mode. need help asap. Ive been all over the forums and cant figure out the exact problem
Old 03-12-2015, 07:56 PM
monztr

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by juelz86z3303
You don't know Z31's very well, they have very few things that can go wrong and it's pretty simple to narrow down any potential problems do to these few simple logical functions. Canbus should make things simpler but standard OBD2 readers cant read all the functions so unless you have a consult 2 diagnostics on the Z33 can be near impossible.

OP, what kinda of lift did they use? was it a single post in ground? the CAS (CPS) is located right on the bottom of the bellhousing and could have been damaged on an old sagging single post in ground lift. Also if the car is lowered it could have got caught pulling onto a lift or into the shop etc. Also if you turned the rotors you should have replaced the pads, if the rotors were so bad they needed turned they likely chewed up the pads.

Quick Reply: CHECK ENGINE, SLIP and TCS LIGHT is on! PLS HELP