Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

P2A00 SES code

Old 05-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Regul8or

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P2A00 SES code

Hey guys,

I ran a search and came up with a few things, but nothing like my situation:

I have an 06 6MT. Mods are: CAI by injen, Berk HFC, powerlab 3/8 spacer and nismo exhaust (on the car for 3 years now). After that it was Osiris tuned by HPLogic in west palm, FL.

The SES light came on after about 300 miles on the tune. It reads this code:
P2A00 Range/Performance, Bank 1 Sensor 1. So the O2 sensor after the headers and before the cat.

I installed the HFC myself, and there are no leaks. After the tech cleared the code at Advanced auto parts, it came back on after 50 miles. I called the tuner, and after searching on the forums, decided that its most probably a bad 02 sensor.

After replacing the 02 sensor, the same code came back after ~300 miles again. I reset the ECU just to make sure, and after another 300 miles or so, it reappeared.

The car feels slightly more sluggish than when the code is not there (It could just be mental tho).

After calling the tuner once again, he said that perhaps there is a bad connection somewhere, or the wiring may be shorted, burnt, etc. This seems unlikely however. He says he can delete the code from being read, but then the o2 would not work properly.

I went to NIssan and they said just to read the SES it would be $95!! damn stealerships! I know what the code is!

Anybody have this problem on an 06 after it was tuned, etc? All advice will be appreciated,

Regul8or
Old 05-27-2010, 02:08 PM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here what I found when I had mine.
https://my350z.com/forum/7192397-post2.html

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...gine-code.html

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...503-p2a00.html

Last edited by cdoxp800; 05-27-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:30 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

i just got the code now..dunno what went wrong, but i cleared it using Cipher.how does that affect performance? or affect cars with flashed maps like Osiris?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:50 AM
dmroberson

I started getting P2A00 for Bank 2 Sensor 1,just recently. Last thing I had done, was installed Strup headers and a Unichip. Still have my stock cats on, right now, and have an Injen TD exhaust.

Ordered a new O2 sensor from Amazon, and didn't see the code again, after the sensor got here. So I sent it back. Now getting it again, and now getting P2A03...
Old 05-31-2010, 11:19 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Originally Posted by dmroberson
I started getting P2A00 for Bank 2 Sensor 1,just recently. Last thing I had done, was installed Strup headers and a Unichip. Still have my stock cats on, right now, and have an Injen TD exhaust.

Ordered a new O2 sensor from Amazon, and didn't see the code again, after the sensor got here. So I sent it back. Now getting it again, and now getting P2A03...
let me get this straight.. you got the error code, you ordered the sensor, your sensor got back working fine, you received the ordered sensor and send it back because you don't need it, and now your current sensor gone bad again?

you should've replaced it anyways.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:31 AM
dmroberson

Originally Posted by maXmood
let me get this straight.. you got the error code, you ordered the sensor, your sensor got back working fine, you received the ordered sensor and send it back because you don't need it, and now your current sensor gone bad again?

you should've replaced it anyways.
Yeah, you're right.

When the sensor came in the mail, I cleared the code again, and it didn't come back for 3 weeks, so I did the return thing with Amazon. Guess I should have just replaced it...
Old 05-31-2010, 01:26 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

can i have a link to that sensor please?

thanks
Old 05-31-2010, 03:53 PM
dmroberson

Originally Posted by maXmood
can i have a link to that sensor please?

thanks
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
Old 06-01-2010, 12:49 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

^thanks!

i'm not sure if i need this yet, even tho it just threw SES again..

i don't know where to start checking.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Regul8or

I also replaced my sensor, and it took a little longer for it to return. I have been talking with my tuner. He can remove it with the tune, but that means that the CPU won't check for it, which is not really a good thing.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:35 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

^if it doesn't affect performance, then just keep it like this.. otherwise you need to find the source of the problem.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Regul8or

The car feels sluggish with the SES on. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I doubt it. The light comes on for about 150 miles, then disappears for the next 150. It keeps cycling. any thoughts??
Old 09-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Regul8or

UPDATE:

Took it to the dealer and had them look it over. He said that there seems to be air coming back into the exhaust and this is causing the o2 to trip. Has anyone heard of this problem before??

There definitely is a performance decrease when the light is on. I find myself having to reset the cpu every couple of days.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 09-24-2010, 11:40 AM
turbotoy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stop replacing sensors and check for exhaust leaks search P2a03 and you will find all the info you want.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:03 PM
onagao

Originally Posted by Regul8or
UPDATE:

Took it to the dealer and had them look it over. He said that there seems to be air coming back into the exhaust and this is causing the o2 to trip. Has anyone heard of this problem before??

There definitely is a performance decrease when the light is on. I find myself having to reset the cpu every couple of days.

Any help would be appreciated
Resetting the ECU will not do anything. In order to fix whatever problem it is, you likely have to reset the learned fuel settings. That's what I have to do every couple hundred miles. I've been getting the P2A00 code for the last 6 months and I have no idea what's causing it. There's no sign of a leak, the sensors are working fine, the injectors tested fine, it happens with or without my tuned ECU, and a compression test turned out perfectly. I'm might just replace both sets of gaskets on the cat section and see if that eliminates some small, pinhole-sized leak that has otherwise gone undetected.

I would recommend starting there in your case as well - searching for a leak. It's the cheapest and easiest to test for. I pray that in both of our cases it's that simple, because I've already spent over $600 trying to figure this one out and have come up with nothing.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Wu-Watt

I was getting the P2A00... Took my car to the shop and my ART pipes were cracked badly. My car is really low, and the flanges on the Y pipe were huge. So the pipes got welded up and the flanges got ground down at least a qtr inch on the Y pipe. I hope that helps. It was just the Y pipe making contact on the flange. The Art pipes seem to come down closer to the road than others...
The car sounded much better on the way home and felt more powerful even with the CEL on. I reset it when I got home and I dont expect to see the P2A00 anymore...

Last edited by Wu-Watt; 10-25-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Regul8or

To onagao,

I read the other thread about the P2A00 gremlin. I went under my car yesterday and checked for leaks (had a friend push with his hand on the gas pedal). As far as I can tell, there are no leaks.

With the SES code on, the car runs different, sounds raspier and gets slightly worse mpg, and performance is worse too.

We reset the code and everybody including me thought that it sounded much cleaner. I don't know what else to do. Could it be a bad cat? I'm thinking of calling up Berk to see if they know something we don't.

Will keep you updated.

-Regul8or
Old 10-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Regul8or

Update:

I was jogging my memory of when I first saw the code come up. It was about 3 months after I had installed the cats, and shortly after I installed the Injen Intake and Powerlab Spacer. I never went to get the code checked out because I thought that it was an AFR code. So I dismissed it.

But it came on even after the tune.

Today, I removed the powerlab spacer, and after about 30 miles, the code was back on.

I will be replacing the intake shortly to see if this is the culprit.

I'm beginning to get really annoyed . I don't know what else it could be.

-Regul8or
Old 10-24-2010, 05:20 AM
Wu-Watt

I had cracks in my tp's.. Welded em' up and I havent seen the light since..
Old 10-25-2010, 11:35 AM
onagao

I would recommend trying to replace all four of the exhaust gaskets around the cat section in case there's a pinhole leak that you just can't see or feel. Please keep the updates coming. This is a problem I've been wrestling with for about 8 months now, and I'm going mad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P2A00 SES code