Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Catalytic Converters bad from 2step?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Z_enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Catalytic Converters bad from 2step?

I just installed my 2step and ypipe about 3 weeks ago. and of course i read that the 2step throughs unburnt fuel into the exhaust and it could mess cats up. but after 3weeks or barely using it? My exhaust note has DEFINATLY changed, sounds like my muffler is under water and i have lost a good bit of power throughout the RPM range expecially at higher rpms. I checked the full exhaust system for leaks and could find any. and as bad as the noise is... I feel like i should see a big whole lol.
Another strange thing is sometimes the sound is normal and the car pulls fine. Could this be the cats are bad and it runs rich most of time then levels out occasionaly? I had someone ride behind me and he said my exhaust smells like straight fuel... Help plz.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:53 AM
350sx23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so wait, you installed a 2step by yourself. do you have any prior experience with tuning etc. also is your car turbo, if not, why did you get a two step. What is the make and model of the 2step module or what exactly did you buy. all of this information and more will be helpful. sounds to me like you car is just running like **** not your cats are clogged or anything else.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Z_enthusiast

I got the N2MB wot box and had a guy that does ALOT of tuning install it. the car was acting fine after installed on my 03 base NA ( i got it for the WOT shifting , and occasional launch at the track, more of a lil toy) and no i dont use it like a ricer.

EDIT: and yes im very mechanicly inclined. Im a Body technician and work on cars everyday. but i brought the 2step to my tuner because i dont do electrical lol

Last edited by Z_enthusiast; 03-05-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:19 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The catalytic converter is designed to burn fuel - that is what it does. What it can NOT cope with is leaded fuel. This will surly destroy a catalytic converter.

And you have no sevice engine codes?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Z_enthusiast

Originally Posted by davidv
The catalytic converter is designed to burn fuel - that is what it does. What it can NOT cope with is leaded fuel. This will surly destroy a catalytic converter.

And you have no sevice engine codes?
I dont have a light but doesnt mean i dont have a code.. ill go check it later tonight
Old 03-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Z_enthusiast

P0300 random misfire.... had that code twice. one was pending. ***** this wot box... im taking it off!

the car was fine go to check the code then on the way bck it started acting up.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Neimad

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

David- The cat has to reduce NOx as well; must run lean to store 02 to burn the HC/CO off.
Too much HC will melt the cat out from the insides. I almost burned a Buick down while trying to diagnose a misfire; cat was red-hot and getting hotter by the time I hit it with the extinguisher.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:02 PM
350sx23

take the box off before it messes something up..
Old 03-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Z_enthusiast

pretty sure its not the box bc when the guy installed it he said he had to run one of the wires to the coil 1 instead of crank sensor and he changed the settings to IGN so it would be ok but i dont even want it anymore... itll be up for sale soon.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:26 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You have a misfire code because that's what a 2 step does. Sometimes its called a misfire system. The Cat DOES NOT burn fuel and is never supposed to. You destroye your cats and now their clogged. Never ever use a 2 step with cats. I don't understand Y you need it na either.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Z_enthusiast

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
You have a misfire code because that's what a 2 step does. Sometimes its called a misfire system. The Cat DOES NOT burn fuel and is never supposed to. You destroye your cats and now their clogged. Never ever use a 2 step with cats. I don't understand Y you need it na either.
I said it was a toy but didnt think itd be a pain. and didnt think itd destroy my cats so soon. gunna take it off tmorrow and see if problem coninues... if so ill get hfc.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:48 PM
0jiggy0

Your cats are destroyed. The problem isn't going to go away now. Why don't you just get TPs. Problem solved.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Z_enthusiast

Your cats are destroyed. The problem isn't going to go away now. Why don't you just get TPs. Problem solved.
Then ill have the SES problem. And that doesnt solve my misfire problem. plus my exhaust is already loud enough. cant have it to much louder
Old 03-05-2011, 05:57 PM
0jiggy0

You dont have a misfire. When you use the system thats your misfire. Notice your light isnt on. There needs to be a certain number before the light comes on.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Z_enthusiast

You dont have a misfire. When you use the system thats your misfire. Notice your light isnt on. There needs to be a certain number before the light comes on.
I was just thinking the ame thing.... So the misfire is from the 2step which the 2step made the cats bad which is prolly clogging my exhaust semi and 02's are making me run rich because of bad cats... correct?
Old 03-05-2011, 06:10 PM
REVHAI

its smelt very rich when i was behind you today. no homo.

Last edited by REVHAI; 03-05-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Z_enthusiast

Originally Posted by REVHAI
its smelt very rich when i was behind you today.
Plz add "No Homo" in after your statement...
Old 03-05-2011, 06:27 PM
REVHAI

Originally Posted by Z_enthusiast
Plz add "No Homo" in after your statement...
its only homo if your ***** touch....
Old 03-06-2011, 12:01 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u probably have a cat that melted down and is clogging up the pipe...happened to me on one side and i didnt get a code...get test pipes and make sure that your exhaust is cleaned out..i had a huge chunk stuck in my tailpipe near my nismo muffler that made its way all the way to the back

i will say u have no use for this if you are n/a besides to sit there and bang it off the 2 step to try and look cool i guess..good luck
Old 03-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Z_enthusiast

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
u probably have a cat that melted down and is clogging up the pipe...happened to me on one side and i didnt get a code...get test pipes and make sure that your exhaust is cleaned out..i had a huge chunk stuck in my tailpipe near my nismo muffler that made its way all the way to the back

i will say u have no use for this if you are n/a besides to sit there and bang it off the 2 step to try and look cool i guess..good luck
Thank you for your info. And i know theres no purpose for the 2step on NA but i DO NOT use it like a rice. i used it the first few days after installed just cuz it was new. now i use it for WOT shifting and gunna try it at the track soon. it was cheap and i was like... y not? a lil fun toy... lol
I have been to shows where i see hondas 2step like crazy for no reason... this is not me just fyi thanks for the comment.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converters bad from 2step?