Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rear wheel click, video inside.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 01:34 AM
albertsZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate all the input. I have checked my brakes and it doesnt seem to be it. I am changing my bearing this week so I'll report back if that fixes my problem.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:47 AM
crazy350zz

Originally Posted by DCJodon
I need some help with this noise, my rear endlinks need replacing, but I'm not sure if this noise is related or not. Excuse my videographer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd9jZOvLpTo
It could be the axle itself...
Old 09-24-2012, 09:05 PM
DCJodon

I firmly believe it's the brake on that side. I had to screech to a halt on the interstate this past weekend, which obviously stressed the brakes. Immediately after, the sound came back in full force, clinking even around 70 mph. The next day, it was still pretty noisy, and noticed it would come back after putting ~10-15% pressure on the brakes. Front brakes are brand new EBC slotted rotors and pads, rear brakes are shot. Let see what happens after replacement.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:07 PM
DCJodon

Originally Posted by russ713
You may want to follow up on the brakes thought.

It could be the pads not retracting enough and as you speed up, you're pushing them out and making the sound go away.
Originally Posted by rallysportdirect
If it is not the rear axle I the only other thing I could say that sound could be a slightly warped rotor that his barely touching the heat shield or you said the sound will go away when it get hot or is hot outside. The thin heat shield could be bent and flex and contract in the temperature change. I had a dent on a old beater car that would not show up bad when it was cold and pop out on it own when it was hot. This was because of the metal expanding and contracting. Could be the same with the heat shield in the back against the rotor. Just a thought though

Thanks,
Dallin
Thanks for the further insight guys.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:27 PM
albertsZ

I firmly believe it's the brake on that side. I had to screech to a halt on the interstate this past weekend, which obviously stressed the brakes. Immediately after, the sound came back in full force, clinking even around 70 mph. The next day, it was still pretty noisy, and noticed it would come back after putting ~10-15% pressure on the brakes. Front brakes are brand new EBC slotted rotors and pads, rear brakes are shot. Let see what happens after replacement.

Funny because my noise only happens on deceleration at around 25mph and under.. it goes away everytime I step on the throttle... I just got the bearing pressed to my new hub... gonna throw it in soon and see if that gets rid of the noise. If not, the axle is next to go. I just installed new suspension links in the rear (SPL camber and toe arms) and also got an alignment. My camber is now at -1.7, which was at -3 previously.

Hope you fix your problem DCJodon. Keep us updated, I hope this thread helps others in the future.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:10 AM
DCJodon

Originally Posted by albertsZ
Funny because my noise only happens on deceleration at around 25mph and under.. it goes away everytime I step on the throttle... I just got the bearing pressed to my new hub... gonna throw it in soon and see if that gets rid of the noise. If not, the axle is next to go. I just installed new suspension links in the rear (SPL camber and toe arms) and also got an alignment. My camber is now at -1.7, which was at -3 previously.

Hope you fix your problem DCJodon. Keep us updated, I hope this thread helps others in the future.
Keep us updated as well!
Old 09-15-2014, 01:01 PM
albertsZ

Keep us updated as well!
Just thought I would update everyone. I ended up selling my 350z and had to finally attack the issue that was causing this noise. Before I decided to change the wheel bearing I checked the brakes, brake dust shield, axles, suspension links, literally EVERYTHING the rear wheel area. Everything was tight and normal. I had a spare hub/wheel bearing laying around that I purchased and decided to throw it in. Upon removing my old one I was able to find some very slight play in the bearing. I was not able to detect this play with the wheel on (by grabbing and shaking the rim at 12/6 and 3/9) and was able to see it after removing the wheel and rotor.

I am guessing that the slight play in the bearing was causing the creaking noise on rotation at speeds under 25mph.

Removing old bearing

Put a little red grease on the axle for good measure

new vs old

hub and bearings out!

new hub and bearing in!

Squeaking/rubbing/creaking noise is gone! Hope this helps anyone in the future. I am assuming that the lowering of my car and drifting caused the premature wheel bearing failure. **** happens!

Last edited by albertsZ; 09-15-2014 at 01:03 PM.