Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Inadvertent throttle blip during upshifts

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 02:28 PM
radiocrash

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Inadvertent throttle blip during upshifts

I searched for an answer to this but my question isn't completely answered.

When I'm driving around normally, every time I go to change gears the throttle blips a couple hundred rpms. This isn't due to to my foot still being on the gas because I've taken my foot completely off the pedal, pushed in the clutch and it happened again. Figured it may be due to momentum and the monstrous dual mass flywheel, but even after my JWT flywheel it still happens. Can't be the ECU because as far as I know that technology only exists for downshifting, and only in z34's.

What's the deal? I've seen many other videos of z's as well as z's in person, none of which seem to do the same thing.

Here's a video:
Old 08-07-2014, 02:55 PM
350zHalleck

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That's weird.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That is very strange. The only theory I can come up with is maybe the gas pedal is sticking slightly? Try slightly revving it in neutral to see if the rpms doesn't drop immediately when you get off the gas.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:42 PM
radiocrash

Originally Posted by Jah70
That is very strange. The only theory I can come up with is maybe the gas pedal is sticking slightly? Try slightly revving it in neutral to see if the rpms doesn't drop immediately when you get off the gas.
Tried that. No problem there.

I'm stumped.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:47 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

vacuum leak or faulty TB most likely, allowing a little air in when you are off the pedal. When you release the load on the engine by pushing in the clutch it jumps up and then the car corrects back down.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:50 PM
radiocrash

Originally Posted by Italianjoe1
vacuum leak or faulty TB most likely, allowing a little air in when you are off the pedal. When you release the load on the engine by pushing in the clutch it jumps up and then the car corrects back down.
Could be a vacuum leak. Sometimes at idle the car almost wants to stall and it idles kinda rough. However my tuner told me it was "just the way these cars are"

I also thought it could be running pretty aggressive due to test pipes
Old 08-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Italianjoe1

Test pipes shouldn't change anything.

Clean the throttles and see if it improves, check for any exhaust leaks before the primary oxygen senors or any vacuum leaks on the intake manifold.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:33 PM
Bigsyke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought this was because of the drive-by-wire system? I have the same issue. I have to release the throttle and wait 1 second before pressing in the clutch, else the rpm's pop up about 500rpms. Stayed the same after JWT clutch flywheel..So this isn't normal? --It makes driving smoothly difficult.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:01 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably something to do with that crappy-sounding exhaust system you've got on the car.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:29 AM
carfanatic63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car does the same thing as well. I may try to clean the throttle body and do it. I always assumed it was the drive-by-wire. I still wish that the car had a normal throttle cable
Old 08-08-2014, 04:40 AM
radiocrash

Originally Posted by carfanatic63
My car does the same thing as well. I may try to clean the throttle body and do it. I always assumed it was the drive-by-wire. I still wish that the car had a normal throttle cable
Yeah that would be nice, huh? I'm gonna clean the MAF sensors first and see if that helps.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:06 AM
Italianjoe1

I finally watched the video and I don't hear anything. Might be your imagination.

Have you driven another car to see if it's the same?
Old 08-08-2014, 05:11 AM
radiocrash

Originally Posted by Italianjoe1
I finally watched the video and I don't hear anything. Might be your imagination.

Have you driven another car to see if it's the same?
Only other standard cars i've driven haven't been z's. It's definitely there though. Listen closely it's especially noticeable on 2-3 and 3-4
Old 08-08-2014, 06:02 AM
JERZ350

My car has always made a similar sound to that when I let off the gas ever since I put on my Borla exhaust. I had the car on the lift and had my friend rev it up while I was standing underneith and the sound came directly from the H (X) pipe. I think it's turbulence.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:19 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My '03 does that, about 2-300 RPM's but I've gotten used to it. Really doesn't affect driving, I just notice it on the tach.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:27 AM
radiocrash

Originally Posted by JERZ350
My car has always made a similar sound to that when I let off the gas ever since I put on my Borla exhaust. I had the car on the lift and had my friend rev it up while I was standing underneith and the sound came directly from the H (X) pipe. I think it's turbulence.
Originally Posted by PerfZ
My '03 does that, about 2-300 RPM's but I've gotten used to it. Really doesn't affect driving, I just notice it on the tach.
Hmm I guess it's not all that uncommon after all. I'm not gonna lose sleep over it then.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:08 AM
calibredz33

i think is has to do something with the potential inertia of having your foot on the throttle, then stepping on the clutch to quickly... when i first got my deR it did it, so i tried being more precise when i shifted. i wouldn't, unless i'm running her hard, depress the clutch so closely to letting off the throttle and the problem was solved. the extra quarter second really begin to make a difference.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:34 AM
radiocrash

Originally Posted by calibredz33
i think is has to do something with the potential inertia of having your foot on the throttle, then stepping on the clutch to quickly... when i first got my deR it did it, so i tried being more precise when i shifted. i wouldn't, unless i'm running her hard, depress the clutch so closely to letting off the throttle and the problem was solved. the extra quarter second really begin to make a difference.
i think you're right. i just took her for a spin and tried being super careful about that. it seemed to help, so it could just be my own bad habit that's causing it.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Italianjoe1

Yeah for emissions reasons the car doesn't snap the throttles closed, it sets them down smootly. So if you are abruptly lifting and stabbing the clutch, the engine is still producing a little power as it tapers off and it will climb a few rpms.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:12 PM
calibredz33

really? ^ i mean that makes sense, but eww. lol. hmm... looking at going machanical throttle body. just looking.

Quick Reply: Inadvertent throttle blip during upshifts