Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Is this the 'Click n Clack' advice section?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 05:46 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Hah- I bet AAA fields plenty of dumba$$ questions every single day. But you did put it on a bill, so kudos to you.

BTW- the CORRECT answer is to shut the engine off, leave the Z in gear and get out. Go to the front, hook up the winch cable (before you realize the battery is flat), unhook the cable and re-hook using a ratcheting tie down to ensure the Z doesn't roll back on you.

Then, pull out your lightweight floor jack and wheel it around to the back of the trailer. Use it to get under the rear diff and jack it up enough to get the weight off the sticky rear tires. Then push and pull the 6" to get the Z straightened up again. After lowering and removing the jack, it's easy to just pull forward and get the car centered. Throughout the process, I'm muttering under my breath about what a dumba$$ I am!
Old 08-16-2016, 02:53 AM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had to use 2 car jacks and 2 come alongs to get a RX7 onto a trailer. Owner didn't leave the keys to it and the steering was locked just a little left of center. Had to turn the car 90 degrees to the right and then get it onto the trailer. Luckily it started sprinkling while we were loading it so the steel deck was slick and we could just shove the car back over when it tried to drive off the trailer.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:21 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

The Z33 has been out-of-production for eight model years. But most of them still have operational factory diagnostic systems that many new owners do not use. Many new owners also "piecemeal" together a made-up fix to get their Zs going and run into problems down the road. That's part of the challenge of a "click n clack" show, er, forum. The OPs are too embarrassed to reveal what their stop-gaps are, or too ignorant to know what they did affect the way their cars run. With the 'maintenance and repair' forum garnering so many new posts, is this its ultimate fate?

Because if it is, we all need to come up with some new jokes, or snappy sayings to keep from throwing up and/or crying...
Old 08-17-2016, 02:04 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
The Z33 has been out-of-production for eight model years. But most of them still have operational factory diagnostic systems that many new owners do not use. Many new owners also "piecemeal" together a made-up fix to get their Zs going and run into problems down the road. That's part of the challenge of a "click n clack" show, er, forum. The OPs are too embarrassed to reveal what their stop-gaps are, or too ignorant to know what they did affect the way their cars run. With the 'maintenance and repair' forum garnering so many new posts, is this its ultimate fate?

Because if it is, we all need to come up with some new jokes, or snappy sayings to keep from throwing up and/or crying...

Welllllll, people so often ask me for car advice that I started my own business selling just what ya need to repair anything.

Running away now.... rather quickly....

Last edited by MicVelo; 08-17-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:29 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Welllllll, people so often ask me for car advice that I started my own business selling just what ya need to repair anything.

Running away now.... rather quickly....
Beautiful, Mic. We both know how much duct tape and baling wire gets used in racing!
Old 08-17-2016, 03:35 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Beautiful, Mic. We both know how much duct tape and baling wire gets used in racing!
Yes, but at the track, we called it "racer's tape" and "fender stays".
Old 08-18-2016, 05:31 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

HALP!
My car has a p300 code, I've tryed searching. Also uses a quart of 20/50 every week, it may have a leak. The windows don't work, and there's a strange noise coming from either the front or rear, dunno. I don't know the mileage.
I came here bc nobody on Facebook could help. Anyone?
(sarc)
Old 08-18-2016, 06:01 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by jhc
HALP!
My car has a p300 code, I've tryed searching. Also uses a quart of 20/50 every week, it may have a leak. The windows don't work, and there's a strange noise coming from either the front or rear, dunno. I don't know the mileage.
I came here bc nobody on Facebook could help. Anyone?
(sarc)
In order to help you better and faster, tell us what color your car is.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:06 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,049 Likes on 6,515 Posts

its grey, tt 1000hp car... whats it worth
Old 08-18-2016, 06:43 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

In order to help you better and faster, tell us what color your car is.
Pikes Peak Yellow on top, Daytona Black on bottom. I think the 20s are making the chasis shake on the highway, but only sometimes. Could that be it?

Originally Posted by travlee
its grey, tt 1000hp car... whats it worth
One meeellion doll hairs?

Old 08-19-2016, 12:52 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

We'll have to take a break here, and even though Henry Ford spins his starter every time he hears us say it: this is 350Z maintenance and repair. Don't drive like my brother!
Old 08-19-2016, 11:30 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Don't drive like my brother!
The next caller is from our fair town.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:13 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by jhc
Don't drive like my brother!
The next caller is from our fair town.
Y'know what I hate about Click 'n Clack? They get PAID to dispense dumb advice and make stupid remarks.

Me, on the other hand....

See? Anyone pay me for that? Nooooo, unh uhhhh, noooooooo.....
Old 08-20-2016, 08:30 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Maybe we should include a "puzzler" question in this thread. Mine came yesterday, when I was loading the racecar in the trailer. Typically, I just drive the Z in, but I only have about 2" clearance on either side of the wheel wells. This time I was a bit too far to the right, so I tried backing it out to straighten it up. OOFDA! Spun the rear tires on the diamond plate rear door and slewed sideways a bit.

What would you do to get the Z back on the straight and narrow and into the trailer? If you have the answer, write it onto the back of a crisp $100 bill and send it to me at PO Box...

Strap the front so its not going to come down and kill you, jack up rear, push strait put unstrap front get it back out and hope round 2 goes up straighter than Ellen.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:45 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Hah- I bet AAA fields plenty of dumba$$ questions every single day. But you did put it on a bill, so kudos to you.

BTW- the CORRECT answer is to shut the engine off, leave the Z in gear and get out. Go to the front, hook up the winch cable (before you realize the battery is flat), unhook the cable and re-hook using a ratcheting tie down to ensure the Z doesn't roll back on you.

Then, pull out your lightweight floor jack and wheel it around to the back of the trailer. Use it to get under the rear diff and jack it up enough to get the weight off the sticky rear tires. Then push and pull the 6" to get the Z straightened up again. After lowering and removing the jack, it's easy to just pull forward and get the car centered. Throughout the process, I'm muttering under my breath about what a dumba$$ I am!

Damn it... I replied before I even made it to page 2... And you are correct AAA does get plenty of dumb questions and calls on a normal basis... And while most may have easy solutions, the people in charge of distributing trucks to the calls like to make things more difficult sometimes...

Here is a good one to think about, how do you get a car thats too disgustingly gross to get into out of a lower level parking garage with your flat bed truck? One would think sending the correct tool for the job aka a wheel lift with dollies... But nope sent me and said see what you can do...

I got stories for days about cars in messed up situations.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:51 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

O yeah... And for cars that dont roll wreckmaster skates are a life saver, they slide like butter and only leave small evidence marks.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:57 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

And today's click 'n clack top tip is for all those callers who have electrical problems. You say your Z won't start and goes "click" when you turn the key? How long has it been since you changed out your battery? Before you start asking what's wrong, just pop the hood and take a close look at it. Check those battery terminals while you're in there- corrosion and sulfated surfaces can keep your battery from working at maximum efficiency.

Also, battery life can be as short as two-three years (depending on how the alternator is working), so use a multimeter to check voltage when problems crop up. OK, that's it as the weather cools off and remember- don't drive like my (Z) brother!
Old 09-03-2016, 12:15 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

This weekend's show has questions about why a CSC feels soft and another caller with worn tires wondering how can it result in a spin on wet pavement? I'm not making this stuff up, folks!

Last edited by dkmura; 09-03-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:57 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

(TIcheek)

Mr DK, I have an 06 de with a P0300 random misfire code. AutoZone said maybe my plugs or O2 sensors. I use premium gas only.

What do you think? By the way, I let my brother drive it. It was fine as frog hair before.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:15 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Dear "Ask Mister Dave",

I am visiting the coast today and fear that sea otters and rampant jellyfish have infested my engine.

Do you have any ways of preventing this besides running 225/25 tires on 17x13 wheels I tried that and still needed camber arms to keep battery from going flat and causing me to spin out in front of the mall.

Help me please.

Quick Reply: Is this the 'Click n Clack' advice section?