Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Minnesota Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 10:01 AM
350slug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've already donated and registered
Old 04-22-2014, 01:22 PM
DaLinkWent

Just wanted to say Hi. I creep on this thread frequently as I live in Minnesota. I don't own a Z but a Ho Hum Day Genesis Coupe. We all make mistakes in life
Old 04-22-2014, 02:01 PM
Shane86

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which Genesis? The 2.0T or the V6?
Either way their pretty fun cars.. very potent in D-Stock autox.
I was heavily considering a V6 before I decided on my Z.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:21 PM
SR71
Lead Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 305 Likes on 166 Posts

Spotted a red ACR viper on 42 going east towards Cedar an hr ago, Greg you would have spewed lol.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:06 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by Shane86
What exhaust do you have now? I'm not a fan of the Borla that's on my car right now, if you're at all interested.

It sounds good.. but true duals are HEAVY.
I've got the HKS replica. It's loud.

Wanna trade?

Originally Posted by 2one8
are G's allowed in here?

Originally Posted by 350slug
Who is all going to b4b? I'd like to park together
I was going, but it looks like I may not.

I dont care much for the G forums, buncha arrogant little boys with too much money.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:26 AM
2one8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
There are a few knowledgable folk on there, but they dont chime in much. The people that do chime in are the ones that are quick to complain about not searching because they have no technical knowledge what so ever, and have the mindset if you arent running authentic Volks or Works with minimal clearance and massive neg camber then your contribution to the forums is irrelevant. And it seems like every technical post ends up turning into a trolling chat thread anyways. I guess I dont know how the Z forums are yet, but I'm hoping there is more technical knowledge and input here. I'm sick of filtering through all of the "look how stanced I am" bull.

On a positive note, G should be on the ground tonight! Got new front hubs and ARP studs yesterday, gotta get em installed tonight and hopefully have time to bleed brakes... again...

Last edited by 2one8; 04-23-2014 at 05:28 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:59 AM
DaLinkWent

Which Genesis? The 2.0T or the V6?
Either way their pretty fun cars.. very potent in D-Stock autox.
I was heavily considering a V6 before I decided on my Z.
I went with the v6. Did a few things, headers + downpipes, exhaust, resonated test pipes, coilovers, cai, quaife differential, whiteline rear sway. Added a few carbon fiber pieces (diffuser, hood and trunk). Bent my rims bad Easter on a piece of pavement the size of a small basketball so I'm currently shopping new rims. Probably will downgrade from 19's to a more functional 18 and see about getting it sideways more often. No local option for custom tuning is the biggest downfall to this car.

It's a lot of fun but I wish I had gone with the Z.

You guys are a good source of inspiration. Thanks
Old 04-23-2014, 08:43 AM
jstar809

mindset if you arent running authentic Volks or Works with minimal clearance and massive neg camber then your contribution to the forums is irrelevant.

On a positive note, G should be on the ground tonight! Got new front hubs and ARP studs yesterday, gotta get em installed tonight and hopefully have time to bleed brakes... again...
LOFFFINGL

Sweet dude!
Old 04-23-2014, 10:06 AM
Shane86

I figure this way I wont have to buy another car when I get old, I can just keep driving this one.
There are a few knowledgable folk on there, but they dont chime in much. The people that do chime in are the ones that are quick to complain about not searching because they have no technical knowledge what so ever, and have the mindset if you arent running authentic Volks or Works with minimal clearance and massive neg camber then your contribution to the forums is irrelevant. And it seems like every technical post ends up turning into a trolling chat thread anyways. I guess I dont know how the Z forums are yet, but I'm hoping there is more technical knowledge and input here. I'm sick of filtering through all of the "look how stanced I am" bull.

You and I are going to get along just fine.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:08 AM
Shane86

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
I've got the HKS replica. It's loud.

Wanna trade?
Just looked it up.. sorry, no.
Looking to get AWAY from a "True Dual" setup. I need a Y-Pipe to modify for the custom single exit that i'll have built.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:13 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

le sad

No problem. I'll keep looking, too.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:25 PM
2one8

Got front hubs and studs in. Still having problems with brakes. They grab, but not until almost to the floor. Went through 2 bottles of fluid bleeding and had very few bubbles. Gonna try it again tomorrow. Also have a very faint rotational bump/thunk in the front. Gotta add another +.5 or so deg camber to the rear, and do some minor suspension height adjustments. Crossing fingers its ready for saturday.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:31 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Sounds very in depth. What's the goal? I want to see this car now.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:17 PM
2one8

well... I fitted the new wheels, Enkei RS05RR, 18x10.5 +15, 295/35 Nitto NT05 square. I just replaced brakes with stoptech rotors, pads, and braided lines. I got ARP studs because end goal is to fabricate flares and achieve something similar to LBPerformance but not as extreme, so I swapped studs for increased strength for running spacers. But I'm not running spacers yet and may already burn some fender this season.

Also currently working with Megan Racing to hopefully convert my Spec-RS coils to a true type rear with Swift springs to allow for faster and easier adjustments, instead of buying a whole new setup.

Next winter will hopefully be boost, FI exhaust, and cage. Was hoping to accomplish these this past winter but I bought a house and... well.. that ended that.

End goal is a track ready and set up car. I dont do much track time yet. Looking at BIRs drivers school this season and get out for slow pokes and get some seat time.

Last edited by 2one8; 04-23-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:32 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

well... I fitted the new wheels, Enkei RS05RR, 18x10.5 +15, 295/35 Nitto NT05 square. I just replaced brakes with stoptech rotors, pads, and braided lines. I got ARP studs because end goal is to fabricate flares and achieve something similar to LBPerformance but not as extreme, so I swapped studs for increased strength for running spacers. But I'm not running spacers yet and may already burn some fender this season.

Also currently working with Megan Racing to hopefully convert my Spec-RS coils to a true type rear with Swift springs to allow for faster and easier adjustments, instead of buying a whole new setup.

Next winter will hopefully be boost, FI exhaust, and cage. Was hoping to accomplish these this past winter but I bought a house and... well.. that ended that.

End goal is a track ready and set up car. I dont do much track time yet. Looking at BIRs drivers school this season and get out for slow pokes and get some seat time.
10.5 +15 is a pretty aggressive setup... what size spacer had you planned on running?

those RR enkeis look pretty nice. I'm a big enkei fan; between my two cars I have a few sets -> RPF1, GTC01 (non RR), NT03+M, and TC-T4. Thinking I would have gotten the RS05RR for one of them had then been out at the time
Old 04-24-2014, 06:15 AM
Shane86

Wow.. someone who will actually have more rubber than me! Jealous!
I'm in the process of putting a 285 Square setup on this week.
{breathes in through teeth}... yeah.. um..
If you really want to see dividents on the track, you're going to need to get away from Megan Racing, and most of these lower end coil overs. A good set of custom valved Konis will yeild much better reults than even "high end" megans.

If you want adjust ability, i'd pick up a set of the SPL rear lower links instead of going to a "True Coilover" setup. These will give you more adjust ability than a true coil over Megan, in that you'll have ride and toe adjustment, paired with the ability to easily change out the springs without having to disassemble a whole shock/spring combo, or loosing any of your settings. I'd be running a set myself if they'd let me in the class I want to run.

Get out and do some Autox in the mean time. it's cheap, local, and any seat time is good seat time.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:21 AM
2one8

Originally Posted by Zivman
10.5 +15 is a pretty aggressive setup... what size spacer had you planned on running?

those RR enkeis look pretty nice. I'm a big enkei fan; between my two cars I have a few sets -> RPF1, GTC01 (non RR), NT03+M, and TC-T4. Thinking I would have gotten the RS05RR for one of them had then been out at the time
I have a set of 25mm and 32mm from previous projects. I think the 25s in the front and 32s in the rear would sit good, but thats a lot of spacer and might try and go smaller. All depends on how the fender flare fab goes. I think the rears will be ok the make, the fronts might be a little tricky.

Wow.. someone who will actually have more rubber than me! Jealous!
I'm in the process of putting a 285 Square setup on this week.

{breathes in through teeth}... yeah.. um..
If you really want to see dividents on the track, you're going to need to get away from Megan Racing, and most of these lower end coil overs. A good set of custom valved Konis will yeild much better reults than even "high end" megans.

If you want adjust ability, i'd pick up a set of the SPL rear lower links instead of going to a "True Coilover" setup. These will give you more adjust ability than a true coil over Megan, in that you'll have ride and toe adjustment, paired with the ability to easily change out the springs without having to disassemble a whole shock/spring combo, or loosing any of your settings. I'd be running a set myself if they'd let me in the class I want to run.

Get out and do some Autox in the mean time. it's cheap, local, and any seat time is good seat time.
I was looking at Stance Pro Comp 2 and 3, but the $2500 price tag put those on hold. It was just recent that I started talking to Megan about springs, so we will see what they say. If its going to be a inexpensive swap then I'll do that for now til I can get something good, but if its going to cost me the same as a new set of coils, then I wont bother and will deal with it until I can get something else. I havent found a simple way to adjust height in the rear without having to reset preload and shock travel, thats why I'm looking at true rears. Once you set your preload you can adjust anything about the suspension and it doesnt change the preload or shock travel.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:38 AM
Shane86

I was looking at Stance Pro Comp 2 and 3, but the $2500 price tag put those on hold. It was just recent that I started talking to Megan about springs, so we will see what they say. If its going to be a inexpensive swap then I'll do that for now til I can get something good, but if its going to cost me the same as a new set of coils, then I wont bother and will deal with it until I can get something else. I havent found a simple way to adjust height in the rear without having to reset preload and shock travel, thats why I'm looking at true rears. Once you set your preload you can adjust anything about the suspension and it doesnt change the preload or shock travel.
Stance is another one of those "Shitty" brands to be honest.
Stance, GR, BC Racing, Megan Racing, Fortune Auto.. Etc.. are all pretty crappy stuff when it comes to valving.. and honestly that's what makes the biggest difference in performance.

Pre-load is kind of a ******** adjustment, and is really not necessary if you get proper rate springs to start with. it's just something these lower end shock companies try to sell people on because it's one of the only benefits they get with their "same shock body for every car" kits.

If you're looking for speed, you need to be looking at proper shocks. AST, Moton, Koni, Ohlins.. Etc.

On my old track car, I had a set of top flight JIC FLT-A2s, custom valved, etc. I threw alot of money at that setup. Once i started getting shitty service from JIC, and needed another rebuild ($1k) i opted to switch to Koni on the advice of some friends. Holy Crap. It's insanely better. There's absolutely no comparison, and if i'd have done it to start with, i would have saved myself a grand.

We should get together some time, have a few beers, and talk suspension
Old 04-24-2014, 10:23 AM
2one8

Stance is another one of those "Shitty" brands to be honest.
Stance, GR, BC Racing, Megan Racing, Fortune Auto.. Etc.. are all pretty crappy stuff when it comes to valving.. and honestly that's what makes the biggest difference in performance.

Pre-load is kind of a ******** adjustment, and is really not necessary if you get proper rate springs to start with. it's just something these lower end shock companies try to sell people on because it's one of the only benefits they get with their "same shock body for every car" kits.

If you're looking for speed, you need to be looking at proper shocks. AST, Moton, Koni, Ohlins.. Etc.

On my old track car, I had a set of top flight JIC FLT-A2s, custom valved, etc. I threw alot of money at that setup. Once i started getting shitty service from JIC, and needed another rebuild ($1k) i opted to switch to Koni on the advice of some friends. Holy Crap. It's insanely better. There's absolutely no comparison, and if i'd have done it to start with, i would have saved myself a grand.

We should get together some time, have a few beers, and talk suspension
Yeah preload is something that most never need to worry about. I just don't want to have to re zero it each time haha. Talking suspension would be awesome. Im slowly trying to learn about it. So many people over look suspension. Unfortunately I live in brainerd but I make trips all over for various things.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Shane86

Yeah preload is something that most never need to worry about. I just don't want to have to re zero it each time haha. Talking suspension would be awesome. Im slowly trying to learn about it. So many people over look suspension.
I've been Autocrossing for a decade now, about 6 years of that time in a class that gave me decent suspension modification options, but restricted tires, engine output, and weight reduction. Pretty much all the gains to be had were in getting shocks, springs, and alignment dialed in.

My new build will be in the same category (so same rules, but more tire/power), so i've been running numbers on Z suspension all winter.

Unfortunately I live in brainerd but I make trips all over for various things.
Beers over skype then

Quick Reply: Minnesota Chat Thread