Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

thunderhill 11/06/09

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:11 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zettahertz

I current tap the brakes a bit for turn6, already feels like it's at the limit from the tire squeal and understeer. I need to see how you do this, scott.

turn8 is scary, don't have the guts to take that w/o braking, because i get over 100mph on 7-8. what speed do you enter this turn at, scott
What software do you use? I'm shopping for something good that can give me the kind of feedback that you posted. I go through the turn around 95mph IIRC. It takes some working up to for sure.

Originally Posted by solidfish
Anyone see my awesome tail spin on T3? Like noted above, I think you should brake before entering the turn. I got greedy on my last session and took it too fast. My rear gave loose and put me into a near drift. Then the rear caught and I almost flew off the track. The instructors actually warned us specifically about T3. Anyways, there is a lot to learn but it was a lot of fun.

I wasnt able to take a lot of pictures. I like the ones from gotbluemilk but $25/pic seems a bit steep. Are they always that pricey?
I missed your spin! Glad to hear all was ok though. Keep mid-track to tight on T3. Did you have the VDC off?

GBM is always that price, though I think it's cheaper AT the event versus ordering online. If they had one good pic of you with, say, a wheel in the air, it'd be worth $25 for that poster size image. I get one every now and then. Where are the pics Jenny took?

My vids are too big right now, as they are over 10 minutes for youtube. I did see, however, a vid from the 300ZXTT in the Point-By group, with my 350Z doing a cameo just after the 1 minute mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8mfecZDjDY
Old 11-10-2009, 11:26 AM
zettahertz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What software do you use? I'm shopping for something good that can give me the kind of feedback that you posted. I go through the turn around 95mph IIRC. It takes some working up to for sure.
I borrowed my friend's Racepak G2X data logger. It'll record GPS position/speed and G-Forces by itself, but can also hook up directly to your car to record RPM, and whatever sensors you have (oil temp, etc,etc). Very interesting piece of hardware.
http://www.racepak.com/Road_Racing/configure.php

The software (DatalinkII) comes with it, or you can just DL it from their site. It reads and graphs all the detailed data. And you can map the speed/RPM data as gauge overlays onto your video with another piece of software (Track Vision, another $295)

Last edited by zettahertz; 11-10-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:40 PM
solidfish

Hey scott. Thanks for the ride by the way. Your car and driving is sick. Literally, I was sick. It was like riding a mad rollercoaster. The car turns like its on rails. And the braking was unreal. So many times I thought we were going to fly off the track. Absolutely nuts, but it was great fun.

I'll try to get some pictures posted tonight.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:16 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Hey scott. Thanks for the ride by the way. Your car and driving is sick. Literally, I was sick. It was like riding a mad rollercoaster. The car turns like its on rails. And the braking was unreal. So many times I thought we were going to fly off the track. Absolutely nuts, but it was great fun.

I'll try to get some pictures posted tonight.
You're welcome! I'm glad you stomached through it (for anyone reading, I did check with John at least 3x to see how he was feeling). The coilovers and the brakes on my car do most of that work so that I don't have to demand too much from the tires. The brakes have a lot more room in them, too, as I typically lift, touch the brakes to make sure the pads didn't get knocked back (common with StopTechs, but doesn't always happen), then press them down progressively to about a 90% threshold. The ABS, the way I drive, never kicks in (unless the tires are cold, which they were the first session), but I'm working up to it. I figure I have an easy 3s remaining to chip off of my times, which would put it near the 2:05s. That's nothing compared to that Vette we watched in the race which was turning 1:55s! WOW - that's something to shoot for!

BTW, I just had to quote your comment. That's awesome.

Last edited by scotts300; 11-10-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:40 PM
solidfish

Here were some of my photos. Not the greatest quality sorry.
Attached Thumbnails thunderhill 11/06/09-01.jpg   thunderhill 11/06/09-10.jpg   thunderhill 11/06/09-11.jpg   thunderhill 11/06/09-13.jpg   thunderhill 11/06/09-16.jpg  

Old 11-10-2009, 09:40 PM
pchio

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

I can get you a cheap set of 265/35/18 R888 tires if you want the next level of traction, although the RE01Rs are darn good.
Nice, so whats the deal? Are they used?
And I love roller coaster, may I join next time, Scott? lol

I borrowed my friend's Racepak G2X data logger. It'll record GPS position/speed and G-Forces by itself, but can also hook up directly to your car to record RPM, and whatever sensors you have (oil temp, etc,etc). Very interesting piece of hardware.
I always want to get one of those, it really helps! For $1k, I know I will feel very bad buying them..... Btw, zettahertz, you should move up to point-by next time, man!! I remember you said you had VDC on on the track, you really should just turn that thing off, I have no idea how you can manage driving with that thing controlling you
Old 11-10-2009, 09:51 PM
solidfish

couple more:
Attached Thumbnails thunderhill 11/06/09-38.jpg   thunderhill 11/06/09-39.jpg   thunderhill 11/06/09-40.jpg   thunderhill 11/06/09-37.jpg  
Old 11-10-2009, 09:53 PM
pchio

couple more:
Looks like some toy cars!! Nice
Old 11-11-2009, 06:38 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by pchio
Nice, so whats the deal? Are they used?
And I love roller coaster, may I join next time, Scott? lol
Absolutely!

The tires are new R888s that have been shaven to race depth and used for one race event and go for about 1/2 price of new. I've acquired a bunch of them for members of our autox club, and it's what I have on my 300ZX TT for "daily driving".
Old 11-11-2009, 09:35 AM
zettahertz

yeah, i'll run pt-by next time at TH.
Next track day is laguna seca. gonna be like a n00b there, so gonna be in solo haha.
And gonna start using a spec miata in 2010, gonna be like a n00b too and learn how to maintain momentum through the turns. But I'll still use my Z from time to time.

Yeah, i'll run w/o the VDC next time. was a little traumatized from the T6 spinout w/o VDC last time, haha.
Was more focused on heel-toe on this day and was able to do it alright but sacrificed the lines a bit by staying a bit towards the middle instead of the far right edge before the turns.

Last edited by zettahertz; 11-11-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:11 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by zettahertz
yeah, i'll run pt-by next time at TH.
Next track day is laguna seca. gonna be like a n00b there, so gonna be in solo haha.
And gonna start using a spec miata in 2010, gonna be like a n00b too and learn how to maintain momentum through the turns. But I'll still use my Z from time to time.

Yeah, i'll run w/o the VDC next time. was a little traumatized from the T6 spinout w/o VDC last time, haha.
Was more focused on heel-toe on this day and was able to do it alright but sacrificed the lines a bit by staying a bit towards the middle instead of the far right edge before the turns.
Do you heel/toe on the street? That makes it more natural on the track.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:14 PM
zettahertz

Originally Posted by scotts300
Do you heel/toe on the street? That makes it more natural on the track.
Yeah, i started heel toe regularly on the street after the track day in August but I don't drive my Z as a DD, got an auto camry for DD. So i was able to do it this time at the track.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:16 PM
pchio

nd gonna start using a spec miata in 2010, gonna be like a n00b too and learn how to maintain momentum through the turns. But I'll still use my Z from time to time.
One suggestion to learn maintaining momentum: Go to Go Kart Racer in Burlingame and play the Yokohama Track, this is the track that you need to carry momentum and proper weight transfer thu out all turns to get a fast lap time. Very fun and not to worry about crashing your car

With VDC on and practicing heal-toe, you still manage to make 2'16, that is pretty good already

The tires are new R888s that have been shaven to race depth and used for one race event and go for about 1/2 price of new. I've acquired a bunch of them for members of our autox club, and it's what I have on my 300ZX TT for "daily driving".
I will PM u scott!

By the way, anyone here going to Infineon on Dec 4? I tried to register Leguna seca, but it was full a month ago.. argh!
Old 11-12-2009, 09:32 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

One suggestion to learn maintaining momentum: Go to Go Kart Racer in Burlingame and play the Yokohama Track, this is the track that you need to carry momentum and proper weight transfer thu out all turns to get a fast lap time. Very fun and not to worry about crashing your car

With VDC on and practicing heal-toe, you still manage to make 2'16, that is pretty good already

I will PM u scott!

By the way, anyone here going to Infineon on Dec 4? I tried to register Leguna seca, but it was full a month ago.. argh!
We should all go karting together. I go with another small group, typically 3-6 guys, every few weeks. We traditionally go to LMK, but have gone to GKR a few times also. I do like the Yokohama track, too!

And I PM'd you about the R888s! There go at least 2s from your times!
Old 11-12-2009, 11:14 AM
solidfish

Oh, karting sounds fun! I've only been to the one at Malibu Grand Prix, but I'm sure what you are talking about is nothing like that. Although, I did set the top time of the day there a couple of times...
Old 11-12-2009, 06:21 PM
pchio

I have like a few people usually go karting with me, so if you guys are interested and able to get enough ppl, we can reserve a session just for us!!

Solidfish, it will be way more fun than Malibu Grand Prix, you will never want to go back there anymore once you tried it.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:26 PM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have like a few people usually go karting with me, so if you guys are interested and able to get enough ppl, we can reserve a session just for us!!

Solidfish, it will be way more fun than Malibu Grand Prix, you will never want to go back there anymore once you tried it.
Sounds like fun, I usually do the in-door gokarting in Burlingame. Let's do this soon!
Old 11-12-2009, 07:52 PM
SE5spd

Originally Posted by mcarther101
Sounds like fun, I usually do the in-door gokarting in Burlingame. Let's do this soon!
lemons is awesome
Old 11-12-2009, 08:40 PM
pchio

this coming Sunday plus a mini meet there? lol
Old 11-16-2009, 08:52 PM
SE5spd

this coming Sunday plus a mini meet there? lol
soooooooooooo down to have a mini meet and go go-karting ... someone should make it official and post a new topic on it

and does anyone know when the next track day is? im still made I missed this one!!!

Quick Reply: thunderhill 11/06/09