Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Dual Exhaust/Test Pipe RASP proven fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 11:15 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dual Exhaust/Test Pipe RASP proven fix

Let me say this, I love the sound of my exhaust now. I have the Injen straight tip dual exhaust. Sounded fine with cats but once i removed the cats and installed Kinetix Resonated test pipes i always had a little rasp.

So i decided to try a X-pipe with out the resonators. ( BIG MISTAKE ) no resonators in the middle of the Injen exhaust is a big NO NO.

So i went ahead and ordered and had the Magnaflow X-pipe installed. NO RASP, none, not even a little bit. The car sounds wonderful now. There for a while i hated stepping on the gas because of that damn rasp. ALL GONE NOW

I highly recommend having this installed on any dual exhaust setup with test pipes or even with out. Gives the car a nice sound with out the droning.

Im very very happy with it now. If anyone wants one let me know. I can get a good price on them shipped to your door.

Sorry no sound clips.

Zachcrosen has already had this installed on his injen exhaust and has a Supercharger and he posted up some sound clips.

Original thread with conversation here

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/189946-x-pipe-or-h-pipe.html

Later
Aceman
Old 06-21-2006, 01:50 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aceman
So i decided to try a X-pipe with out the resonators. ( BIG MISTAKE ) no resonators in the middle of the Injen exhaust is a big NO NO.

So i went ahead and ordered and had the Magnaflow X-pipe installed. NO RASP, none, not even a little bit. The car sounds wonderful now. There for a while i hated stepping on the gas because of that damn rasp. ALL GONE NOW
I'm confused. You tried the X pipe and it got worse, then you say you added an X pipe and the rasp is gone. Huh? Do you mean you added the muffler below in place of an X pipe?
Old 06-21-2006, 01:56 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Originally Posted by 350Zteve
I'm confused. You tried the X pipe and it got worse, then you say you added an X pipe and the rasp is gone. Huh? Do you mean you added the muffler below in place of an X pipe?
Yes, that is right. I had just the X-pipe with out the muffler. Then added the Magnaflow X-pipe muffler and the rasp was all gone.

Later
Aceman
Old 06-21-2006, 02:18 PM
plumpzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X pipe + muffler he means will fix it. When he put the X pipe in the injen at first, he removed the resonators and replaced it with the X pipe, which will make it loud. By addding the resonator back in, he lost all rasp. Good stuff!
Old 06-22-2006, 06:25 AM
ISMSOLUTIONS

Hey - you can always buy a real exhaust that does it right the first time

www.fastintentions.com

Rick
Old 06-22-2006, 06:55 AM
Hybrid90

The intimidator exhaust looks pretty nice.. anyone have this on their Z? Reviews? Thanks!
Old 06-22-2006, 08:56 AM
zachcrosen

Aceman, I just had a set of Xerd test pipes put on yesterday and with the Mag. muffler, the rasp is not bad. It actually sounds really good. I have also noticed that my RPMs climb a lot quicker at idle than they did before. Who knows, it may just be a mental thing! I am planning on getting a vid sound clip tonight and will create a new thread with sound clips of all 3 variations and photos of what was done for anyone who is interested in this. I have not gotten the car retuned yet. However, my wideband AFR gauge is now reading at around 11.5-11.7 at WOT which I am going to say is probably in the low 12s because of the placement of my sensor! I am planning on having the car retuned as soon as I hear that Sharif's shop is up and running!
Old 06-22-2006, 11:05 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
Hey - you can always buy a real exhaust that does it right the first time

www.fastintentions.com

Rick
You could, if you havent already bought a different one

SO by looking at your pics, that is a X-pipe muffler in the center there??

Anyway, i am very happy with the Magnaflow X-pipe. My car is very enjoyable to drive again. No Raspy noise at all.

I have the :

Injen Straight tip exhaust
Kinetix Resonated Test Pipes
Magnaflow X-pipe Muffler
AND NO RASP

Later
Aceman
Old 06-22-2006, 02:11 PM
mdcruz88

No rasp on your current exhaust for about $100 shipped?! You defintely can't beat that. Oh and about $50 for install... still a great mod.

I believe that Fast Intentions is using the exact same x-pipe muffler. 2.5 in 2.5 out.

Originally Posted by aceman
You could, if you havent already bought a different one

SO by looking at your pics, that is a X-pipe muffler in the center there??

Anyway, i am very happy with the Magnaflow X-pipe. My car is very enjoyable to drive again. No Raspy noise at all.

I have the :

Injen Straight tip exhaust
Kinetix Resonated Test Pipes
Magnaflow X-pipe Muffler
AND NO RASP

Later
Aceman
Old 06-22-2006, 08:53 PM
ISMSOLUTIONS

Originally Posted by mdcruz88
No rasp on your current exhaust for about $100 shipped?! You defintely can't beat that. Oh and about $50 for install... still a great mod.

I believe that Fast Intentions is using the exact same x-pipe muffler. 2.5 in 2.5 out.
Yea - roughly the same unit...there's a few models with similar internals.

Not all of them have True-X cores and not all True-X cores and perforated cores or perforated the same either. Magnaflow unfortunately did not make them all consistent. For max sound filtering, you'll want to make sure the entire X is perforated - some of them are not. The polished vs. non-polished are different as well.

Rick
Old 06-22-2006, 10:40 PM
overZealous1

well i'm glad the X pipe configuration has finally caught on, lol. again, these cars will benefit more from it than V-8's that the idea was born on because of the firing order. we have decided to keep the X pipe and the resonators separate to gain maximum effiecientcy out of the X pipe, and straight through resonators to control sound.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:52 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Finally was able to take some pics of the Magnaflow X-pipe ( broke a axle, check Drag forum for pics of that )

Here are the pics of the muffler welded onto the Injen Dual exhaust.

Later
Aceman
Attached Thumbnails Dual Exhaust/Test Pipe RASP proven fix-x-pipe.jpg   Dual Exhaust/Test Pipe RASP proven fix-x-pipe2.jpg  
Old 11-22-2006, 09:30 AM
Zetonator

Default DC Sports dual exhaust - diameter?

Just got my DC Sports dual exhaust installed with DC sports headers. Found out that the sound is agressive (that is good) and perhaps a bit on the loud side. That does not bother as much as the raspines around 4000 rpm. Very pleased to see that there is a proven fix for that. I am going to order and install the Magnaflow resonated X-pipe asap.

Just wondering if anybody happens to know (for sure) the diameter of DC Sports exhaust piping? Thought that it is 2,5". Just taking my chances before crawling under the car with caliber...
Old 12-09-2006, 09:39 PM
z-u-later

Just installed the Magnaflow X-pipe muffler today on my Injen SES exhaust and my Z sounds much better now. I also have headers & test pipes and I did not particularly like the sound with the Injen SES. With the Magnaflow x-pipe muffler, the rasp & drone are gone, and I regained the VQish sound but much deeper. In addition, I also gained some torque, particularly low to mid-range. I can't wait to feel & hear it on WOT tomorrow. Looking forward to getting a dyno in a few weeks (after the holidays).
Old 12-10-2006, 06:01 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Originally Posted by z-u-later
Just installed the Magnaflow X-pipe muffler today on my Injen SES exhaust and my Z sounds much better now. I also have headers & test pipes and I did not particularly like the sound with the Injen SES. With the Magnaflow x-pipe muffler, the rasp & drone are gone, and I regained the VQish sound but much deeper. In addition, I also gained some torque, particularly low to mid-range. I can't wait to feel & hear it on WOT tomorrow. Looking forward to getting a dyno in a few weeks (after the holidays).
Im glad you enjoy the sound I know I really like the way my exhaust sounds now.

It makes stepping on the gas enjoyable again.

Later
Todd
Old 12-10-2006, 11:16 AM
z-u-later

Hey Todd, thanks for hooking me up. I actually showed the pics you posted to the shop that installed the muffler so they'll believe me that it will fit in there. My Injen exhaust sounds so much better now, thanks to your thread here!
Old 12-10-2006, 12:51 PM
aleok

aceman, do you think that the magnaflow x-pipe would sound good on a custom exhaust?
Old 12-10-2006, 01:53 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Originally Posted by aleok
aceman, do you think that the magnaflow x-pipe would sound good on a custom exhaust?
Yes i do

Or you could buy a exhaust that comes with it as a kit. Only one that comes to mind is the one made by Fast Intentions

Here is a pic, a buddy of mine just got it installed today.

Later
Todd
Attached Thumbnails Dual Exhaust/Test Pipe RASP proven fix-fast-intentions.jpg  
Old 12-10-2006, 11:28 PM
aleok

yea, but i'm trying to save up on cash, shipping to HI, kind of brakes the bank.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:11 AM
mrjonang

SWEEEEEEET. I have been looking for a fix on my Injen TI tip track edition, i hate that droning sound it produces from 1-3000rpm. So what your saying is that with this X-pipe the drone and potential rasp /w test pipes will be gone?!

Quick Reply: Dual Exhaust/Test Pipe RASP proven fix