Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently
View Poll Results: Is a CAI worth the money?
Yes
33.33%
no
33.33%
Did you not see the other 8,000 threads on this?
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

FINALLY ANSWERED: What is the best __________ ? (Intake, Exhaust, headers, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 05:56 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

all gains will be minimal.... ease of install i would go with JWT, a little better performance but harder install i would do the injen
Old 02-18-2015, 06:06 PM
travlee
Master

booooom.... can't go wrong

https://my350z.com/forum/intake/6015...-and-blue.html
Old 02-18-2015, 10:17 PM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by FOOKhonda
Shop at z1 and other z stores and buy what you want, everything from z1 will be quality.
Nah. I have spent almost 3k there and every time stuff is hit and miss. Z1 parts range from cheapest chinese garbage to decent quality stuff, and you will never know until you get it, IF it comes in correctly at all. Out of 5 orders 3 of them were Fed up in some capacity. They try to sell you on junk they make the most profit on, and refuse to actually give you any meaningful information when it comes to ordering parts. That being said I have had them help me out with part numbers for some OEM stuff. It hasn't all been bad.

People are all up Z1s *** all the time but a lot of their branded stuff is low quality, brake upgrade kit, aluminum fittings on the lines, slots that are bare minimum, cheapest disk design, and they they make stuff that is decent quality, such as the clutch/flywheel combo, Silicone hose kits.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:29 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

I would look around in the HR section a bit.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:37 AM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NiLL
Nah. I have spent almost 3k there and every time stuff is hit and miss. Z1 parts range from cheapest chinese garbage to decent quality stuff, and you will never know until you get it, IF it comes in correctly at all. Out of 5 orders 3 of them were Fed up in some capacity. They try to sell you on junk they make the most profit on, and refuse to actually give you any meaningful information when it comes to ordering parts. That being said I have had them help me out with part numbers for some OEM stuff. It hasn't all been bad.

People are all up Z1s *** all the time but a lot of their branded stuff is low quality, brake upgrade kit, aluminum fittings on the lines, slots that are bare minimum, cheapest disk design, and they they make stuff that is decent quality, such as the clutch/flywheel combo, Silicone hose kits.
Wow, I must say I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've heard anything bad about them :O

Also try conceptzperformance. They sell just about anything you could need/want for the z.

(bracing myself for a bad review of them now too) lol
Old 03-01-2015, 07:55 PM
CNunes_95

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Looking for Aftermarket Exhaust Headers

Hey everyone. I have my 03' 350z Touring and am looking into purchasing aftermarket performance exhaust headers. Now, I've done my research and am currently stuck between Borla's Stainless Steel Headers and Stillen's Ceramic Coated Headers. However, the Borla headers are priced at around $750.00 and the Stillen Headers are priced at around $560.00. I've heard very good things from other car enthusiasts about Borla's exhaust systems and headers and I have also known Stillen to be very popular for modding Z/G vehicles. I also do have an X02 True Dual Catback Exhaust System (HKS Clone) installed on my Z. Now my question is, is it worth going for the Borla headers when they are more expensive than stillen headers when it comes to performance gains? Or are there any other different exhaust brand headers that I should look into for my Z? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 03-02-2015, 03:36 AM
travlee
Master

if you are going to go through the trouble of swapping headers you might as well get the ppe long tubes to make it worth your time. my guesses is you will whine about how much they are, and cheap out and get something like megan ones. shorty headers arent worth it in my opinion
Old 03-02-2015, 06:46 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
if you are going to go through the trouble of swapping headers you might as well get the ppe long tubes to make it worth your time. my guesses is you will whine about how much they are, and cheap out and get something like megan ones. shorty headers arent worth it in my opinion

With the time and effort needed to install headers, go with PPE LTH to make it worthwhile.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Syner

With the time and effort needed to install headers, go with PPE LTH to make it worthwhile.
Enough with the "expensive is better bs"

Ebay LTH's are quite good quality for the money. Don't drop 1200bucks on headers for an engine that barely can make 300whp. It's utterly stupid. When people who have Megans, OBX's etc are driving around with no issues. The welds are solid, the pipes are mandrel bent. The head mounting flanges are flat and actually pretty nice. They came LONG before the PPE's did, so they're not even a knock off. The collectors aren't very nice, but on a vq35, you would barely see a difference. Definitely less than 10whp, I'd imagine closer to 3-5whp.

There's still plenty of bs "Pay more or you're an idiot" stuff on here. Yes, some things out there you do need to pay to play, but 1200$ headers are not one of them.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:45 PM
Resmarted

Whine?

Yeah I could spend that 900$ difference in a place it would actually show a difference in performance. Like real tires.

It's so funny that people on here talk crap about ebay exhaust parts, and then run some skimpy cheap crap tire that doesn't have any grip. They talk crap on cheap coils, yet the valving on the coils they have is just as bad, sometimes worse on their $2,000 ones.

There are some running jokes on this website.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:34 AM
travlee
Master

OBX fit like poo poo, PPE are spot on. you usually get higher quality items if you get the nicer things

whine - give or make a long, high-pitched complaining cry or sound.

Last edited by travlee; 03-04-2015 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:20 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Enough with the "expensive is better bs"

Ebay LTH's are quite good quality for the money. Don't drop 1200bucks on headers for an engine that barely can make 300whp. It's utterly stupid. When people who have Megans, OBX's etc are driving around with no issues. The welds are solid, the pipes are mandrel bent. The head mounting flanges are flat and actually pretty nice. They came LONG before the PPE's did, so they're not even a knock off. The collectors aren't very nice, but on a vq35, you would barely see a difference. Definitely less than 10whp, I'd imagine closer to 3-5whp.

There's still plenty of bs "Pay more or you're an idiot" stuff on here. Yes, some things out there you do need to pay to play, but 1200$ headers are not one of them.
Where in my comment did I say "expensive is better?"

If I were going throug the effort of squeezing headers in, I would make sure it's worth it. If $500 headers were really the same/better, nobody would being buying PPE, would they? I know I wouldn't.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:30 PM
Resmarted

OBX fit like poo poo, PPE are spot on. you usually get higher quality items if you get the nicer things

whine - give or make a long, high-pitched complaining cry or sound.
And you've owned how many of these headers?

I've seen a few, and own a pair. Know someone who has obx's and they have a pretty solid reputation on other boards.

Similar bullch*t. Different assh*les... "you get what you pay for" is such a load of chit.

Mine fit in great. The welds were all very good quality, not a single pinhole. I had to do zero straightening or any crap really.

I'd recommend any street car the obx's as the megans are not in production, spend the remaining XXX$ on r888's.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:38 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by Syner
Where in my comment did I say "expensive is better?"

If I were going throug the effort of squeezing headers in, I would make sure it's worth it. If $500 headers were really the same/better, nobody would being buying PPE, would they? I know I wouldn't.
They're not. This whole community has always been a pay more community. On somethings, its crucial to go the extra mile. But in a lot of others there's a lot of bs floating around.

To get the full maybe 3-5whp that the PPE's would get you, you'd definitely need a custom dyno tune. So add at least $400 to the 1200$ price tag. And most people don't DIY, although more and more are... 10hours of labor add another $700-900...

The primaries are longer on any long tube, and you're also eliminating the cat's. That's probably 90% of the gain from lth. Although I love sasha anis's car, his headers, and what he's done... Those numbers were on a custom tune, on a dynapack. Put those same headers on a car with a mail in tune, on even a dyno jet and that miraculous 22whp quickly is going to be close to 10-15whp maybe less, over stock headers/cats. It's a crapshoot. The gains on a 3.5 v6 are minuscule, especially with stock cams, stock rev limit (or 7k with a flash), and stock intake.... There a guy on here making over 500whp with obx long tubes and his procharger. His headers are holding up fine.

Last edited by Resmarted; 03-04-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:56 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by Resmarted
And you've owned how many of these headers?

I've seen a few, and own a pair. Know someone who has obx's and they have a pretty solid reputation on other boards.

Similar bullch*t. Different assh*les... "you get what you pay for" is such a load of chit.

Mine fit in great. The welds were all very good quality, not a single pinhole. I had to do zero straightening or any crap really.

I'd recommend any street car the obx's as the megans are not in production, spend the remaining XXX$ on r888's.
personally owned never, good friends with an admin on here that has them and the fit like shiiite
Old 03-05-2015, 03:43 PM
Resmarted

personally owned never, good friends with an admin on here that has them and the fit like shiiite
Most of the time you can return and exchange them. Mine fit like a glove and know a few other members whose fit really well.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:47 PM
travlee
Master

i will give you this, IF they are hand made then every set is going to be a little different
Old 03-05-2015, 03:50 PM
Resmarted

i will give you this, IF they are hand made then every set is going to be a little different
I wouldn't be surprised if they were. The welds are on the inside of the flange/pipe, and judging by the collector (which is admittedly super janky) It looks like someone (not a machine) did it.

I could definitely see the QC being ***** though.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:39 AM
Zboy96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

best exhaust: cobra sport non res mmmmmmmm
Old 03-26-2015, 07:13 PM
Juanfe355

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Exhaust Help

First off Im a complete noob when it comes to mods. Ive just gotten into it and writing in forums since I got my Z almost 4 months ago.
Its an 08 Z.
Ive done some reading here and there about exhaust and I was wondering if you more experience Z owners could recommend some exhaust systems.
Something that won't be excessively loud and break bank but still has that nice low rumble.
Also How much does an installation usually cost? Not trying to get ripped off >.<

Any other advice is greatly appreciated ))

Quick Reply: FINALLY ANSWERED: What is the best __________ ? (Intake, Exhaust, headers, etc)