Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Oil Cooler vs. Oil Pan Spacer vs. Nothing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 12:16 PM
neffster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cooler vs. Oil Pan Spacer vs. Nothing?

First of all, thanks for all of the help thus far. I've received a lot of really helpful advice from many of you (some don't even know it but through searching you've been a big help).

Now to the question...

I'm concerned about oil temperatures and living in HOT and HUMID Florida while running a Vortech S/C. What is the affect of adding an oil cooler and is it NEEDED?

Would the oil cooler bring down oil temps enough to make a difference? Also, in comparison, how much would the oil pan spacer bring down oil temps? Is it comparable to the oil cooler?

Would not running either of these 2 items really have any negative results for a guy that drives his G to and from work (~25 miles one way, mostly highway miles) and then once a month at the track for 3-4 quarter mile runs?
Old 07-29-2005, 01:13 PM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neffster
First of all, thanks for all of the help thus far. I've received a lot of really helpful advice from many of you (some don't even know it but through searching you've been a big help).

Now to the question...

I'm concerned about oil temperatures and living in HOT and HUMID Florida while running a Vortech S/C. What is the affect of adding an oil cooler and is it NEEDED?

Would the oil cooler bring down oil temps enough to make a difference? Also, in comparison, how much would the oil pan spacer bring down oil temps? Is it comparable to the oil cooler?

Would not running either of these 2 items really have any negative results for a guy that drives his G to and from work (~25 miles one way, mostly highway miles) and then once a month at the track for 3-4 quarter mile runs?
My experience with an oil cooler was on my previous Audi S4 in which I was running 25 lbs boost. In that application, oil temps were 40 degrees lower with the cooler. Engine coolant temps were also slightly lower. It is a definite help and will go a long way in helping performance and longevity. A spacer in the oil pan will help in that you can use more oil and therefore remove more heat engine heat, however, if you going to use a spacer, better to just get a larger, better oil pan that has large cooling grates to better dissipate the heat. Oil cooler is still the best bet, however you need to find a place to fit it.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:00 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah I'm thinking for me it's either the APS oil pan or stillen oil cooler, but not both

The oil pan seems simpler in design than adding extra hoses and stuff.

I'm not sure how much the APS oil pan weighs in relation to the stock pan, but it is bigger so I'm gonna assume they're about the same.

Both methods will require an extra quart of oil

The APS oil pan adds the weight low and behind the front wheels

The oil cooler will add weight a little higher and in front of the front wheels so it's slightly worse for weight distribution I'd guess
Old 07-29-2005, 02:04 PM
Peking

Are you guys aware we already have a oil cooler

IMO unless you are a serious racing machine (when your power numbers are well over 400 WHP) then something like a additional oil cooler is just for the bling.

I have the oil pan spacer for more oil, though these aftermarket oil pans (like the APS) have many good benefits so I would suggest that.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:06 PM
sentry65
the burninator

hmm where is the oil cooler?

haven't ever seen one on my 2003 and didn't know they had one on a 2004

maybe you're thinking of the power steering cooler?

and yes I'm making my car a serious track machine...
Old 07-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by sentry65
hmm where is the oil cooler?

haven't ever seen one on my 2003 and didn't know they had one on a 2004

maybe you're thinking of the power steering cooler?

and yes I'm making my car a serious track machine...
No sir, power steering cooler is in the front... OEM oil cooler is before the oil filter...

Do you have access to a service manual?.. Check it out

Same design many makers use, like the Acura RSX Type-S.

It ain't fancy but it does its job
Old 07-29-2005, 02:30 PM

Huh?

No oil cooler in the Z, never seen nor heard of a Z that had one.

An oil cooler won't add a quart of oil either.

It adds about 1/4 quart of oil....if that. And most of that is the lines...not the cooler itself, so the weight is dissapated through the car....but 1/4 quart of oil, that much weight isn't going to make a difference no matter where it is.

BTW...I have the stillen oil cooler, couldn't tell you if it works cause I don't have an oil temp gauge...but I like the added comfort of knowing it's there.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:33 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by 21112
No oil cooler in the Z, never seen nor heard of a Z that had one. An oil cooler won't add a quart of oil either.
NISSAN 350Z SERVICE MANUAL

VOLUME ONE

Page EM27, diagram number 7... What does that say and look like?

Some folks really should know what they are talking about before posting... One of the major problems with "forums".

And where did someone say something about a "oil cooler" adding oil? A oil pan spacer will, and most aftermarket oil pans will along with helping cooler by having fins to expell heat.

Last edited by Peking; 07-29-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:55 PM
sentry65
the burninator

hmm that's interesting, didn't know that

it's more of a half assed oil cooler though, not a full out one with it's own heatsink
Attached Thumbnails Oil Cooler vs. Oil Pan Spacer vs. Nothing?-oilcooler.gif  
Old 07-29-2005, 03:05 PM
Z350Lover

Peking:

I have that taken down... and it does not really do anything really...

You do not run oil through the cooler, but instead, you run COOLANT AROUND that cooler... which the coolant is shared with the rest of the engine components, therefore, the cooling effect is that that good at all...

While an oil cooler is used to just purely cool down the oil by running the oil into the cooling chambers... it is an independant channel from the rest of the engine cooling system...

That's just based on my personal opinions!

cheers,

richie
Old 07-29-2005, 03:25 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Silly question.....Why don't you measure your oil temp? THEN decide if you need a cooler.

A Grand Am race team has had no problem running 400 degree F oil temp using Mobil 1. Higher than I like, but new oils work well at silly high temps.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:32 PM
ReavTek

Any reason for not running both besides just the extra cost factor? It gets rediculously hot down here in FL so would it make sense to use both methods?
Old 07-29-2005, 03:35 PM
sentry65
the burninator

if your oil is too cool, it can be bad for the engine block

the engine is meant to run at a certain temperature

I'd happily run both if there was a benefit - I don't care so much about the cost if it helps, but I think for NA running both would be bad
Old 07-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by Z350Lover
Peking:I have that taken down... and it does not really do anything really...You do not run oil through the cooler, but instead, you run COOLANT AROUND that cooler... which the coolant is shared with the rest of the engine components, therefore, the cooling effect is that that good at all...While an oil cooler is used to just purely cool down the oil by running the oil into the cooling chambers... it is an independant channel from the rest of the engine cooling system...That's just based on my personal opinions!cheers,richie
I know you don't run oil through that, but it does cool the oil. If not it wouldn't be there, like on my 2002 Honda Civic SI (EP3) did not have one along with the Base version RSX... But in the higher horse power RSX Type-S it is apart of the motor. Honda wouldn't have done it unless it did something since they all share the similar motor... Like many share the VQ Nissan motor

Well that is my opinion as well, also along with why call it a "oil cooler" if it didn't do that to some extent?
Old 07-29-2005, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Peking
NISSAN 350Z SERVICE MANUAL

VOLUME ONE

Page EM27, diagram number 7... What does that say and look like?

Some folks really should know what they are talking about before posting... One of the major problems with "forums".

And where did someone say something about a "oil cooler" adding oil? A oil pan spacer will, and most aftermarket oil pans will along with helping cooler by having fins to expell heat.
Alright, that's an oil cooler, so i guess in technicality I was wrong. But it's not like it really does anything....so it's like one of those fake BOV's. Oh, it looks like an oil cooler, but all it does is add weight.

As for your second statment asking where did someone state something about an oil cooler adding more oil....why don't you just read all the posts above yours and you'll find it. I'm not going to help you out by pointing you to it, because you're obviously smart enough to find it.

As for the insult, please teach me to be that cool.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:42 PM
Peking

Alright, that's an oil cooler, so i guess in technicality I was wrong. But it's not like it really does anything....so it's like one of those fake BOV's. Oh, it looks like an oil cooler, but all it does is add weight.

As for your second statment asking where did someone state something about an oil cooler adding more oil....why don't you just read all the posts above yours and you'll find it. I'm not going to help you out by pointing you to it, because you're obviously smart enough to find it.

As for the insult, please teach me to be that cool.
First off you were the one talking out of your ***, as you are now... Clearly if you think... "not like it really does anything" then you are clueless.

Go ahead take yours off

Actually I want to be as cool as you... So that way I make it part of my day to come on to internet forums to pass on inaccurate information without having any clue at all. You're obviously not smart enough to take the time to find more accurate info

Also I re-read that guy's post he did mention it, clearly I did not read that far into it.

Last edited by Peking; 07-29-2005 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:16 AM
neffster

Well I did not intend for the back and forth... but atleast it shows you're both passionate about your cars.

Thanks for the heads up on running the synthetic. I'd read that elsewhere but didn't stop to think about the benefit of it being able to handle the higher temps. I'm thinking Mobile 10W-40.

The last question would be... Would running a synthetic oil that can handle the higher temperatures still be enough to help save the components the oil is supposed to be protecting (without adding an aftermarket oil cooler a spacer or another oil pan all together)? Would the S/C and other components be able to handle the heat just because another type of oil was used?

Thanks again for all of the good replies and keep your chins up so that the next guy has something to aim at....
Old 07-30-2005, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Peking
First off you were the one talking out of your ***, as you are now... Clearly if you think... "not like it really does anything" then you are clueless.

Go ahead take yours off

Actually I want to be as cool as you... So that way I make it part of my day to come on to internet forums to pass on inaccurate information without having any clue at all. You're obviously not smart enough to take the time to find more accurate info

Also I re-read that guy's post he did mention it, clearly I did not read that far into it.
More insults. Your coolness meter is going up.

Keep them coming man. I'm sure everyone on this forum is really respecting you for them.

I came on this forum to give some info because I do have an oil cooler.
You came here to try to prove you are the man.

So I will continue to contribute useful information to this Z community, while you....you can do what you want.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:22 AM
2003z

So Nissan puts unnecessary parts on its car just to increase their manufacturing cost? Get a clue, its there for a reason and does do something, or it wouldn't be there.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by 2003z
So Nissan puts unnecessary parts on its car just to increase their manufacturing cost? Get a clue, its there for a reason and does do something, or it wouldn't be there.
Nissan probably built it into the design and figured it would actually keep the oil temps down.

I've never ran the car, with it on and off, remember I said I don't have an oil temp gauge. BUT....my guess is, that if you did, you would find minimal difference. Hence, my statment that it doesn't do anything.

But, all of Nissan's parts function perfectly, right. This oil cooler has to be awesome because nissan put it on. Remember feathering, oil streaks, rear axle clicking, etc....

But that's it. I've wasted enough time on this thread. There is no information to be given/gained here, so I'm moving on. If I see you guys on another thread, I hope your as friendly there as you were here.

As far as knowing nothing about the Z...well I've already listed all that I know in this thread: http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21424

Last edited by 21112; 07-30-2005 at 08:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler vs. Oil Pan Spacer vs. Nothing?