Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

D2 Racing Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 09:01 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default D2 Racing Coilovers

I finished the install of my D2 Racing coilovers.

The shocks are well made. They are a monotube design, They have an all aluminum shock body which should dissipate heat well on the track.

The install wasn't very smooth. I was told to preload the spring contrary to the included instructions by the D2 tech representative which was completely inncorrect. After removing the preload to zero all seems fine. The spring rates are 15K front, and 13K rear. People were saying that was too much for the street. The spring rates seem fine for street driving set on 3 turns from soft which is 1/2. 6 turns is full hard. At full hard the valving is matched to the spring rates when driving hard. I thought at 3 turns it was a little soft.

The damper body has a seperate adjusment for ride height so you can adjust height independant of spring preload. The lower shock mounts that adjust height were too long and they had to ship me new shorter ones. They told me that the shorter bodies will be included in the kits they will ship from now on. So no worries there for anyone wanting a set of these.

For anyone who doesn't know the D2 dampers relocate the spring to the shock body for a true coliover. I removed the stock control arm, and had an adjustable one made from aluminum, and saved 3 pounds of sprung weight per wheel. The arm is adjustable legnth so I have complete adjustability of toe by lengthening or shortening the arm. Very nice and easy. Adjusts in seconds.

My first track day will be Morroso Spedway in September. I will let you know how they hold up to track abuse which is why I bought them. For the street I would say they are a very nice coilover for $1000 and you won;t be dissapointed. The Tein Basics for $750 are steel, and non adjustable. Ride height is adjustable, but affects spring preload.

Product support from D2 is fair. The US distributor for D2 is there to help you anyway he can, but the product knowledge for the 350z is poor. I think this will improve with time.

For the money I couldn't be happier with the end result. If they don't live up to my expectations on the track I'll just replace them. So far so good. I may send these to get shock dyno'd.

Respect
JET
Old 08-02-2005, 10:13 AM
JETPILOT

Here is a pic of the damper, and lower control arm.

Respect
JET
Old 08-02-2005, 11:41 AM
G352NV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you buy them from?
Old 08-02-2005, 08:12 PM
JETPILOT

I bought them direct from the D2 USA.

http://www.d2racing.com

I wouldn't buy from a distibutor. That just ads another middle man. Plus Noah @ D2 was very helpful with the installation issues.

Respect
JET
Old 08-03-2005, 02:40 PM
cha shu bao

my friend just bought a set for around $1000 shipped. not bad at all, can't wait to see pics.

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/me...50Z_Suspension
Old 08-03-2005, 07:53 PM
JETPILOT

That pic didn't work so here goes another try.

The top pics shows how the car sits 26.5" ride height in the rear 25.5" in the front.

Second pic shows the difference between the first lower shock mount they sent, and the one they sent to replace it which is installed on the car. As you can see the car couldn't be lowered with the longer lower shock mount.

The last pic shows the new lower toe adjustable control arm.

Respect
JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 08-03-2005 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:52 PM
knight_white99

Nice pics, Larry! I am going to end up with about the same ride height as you. Still need to play with the dampening and the spring rates. I'll post my experience with the install this weekend after I have some time to experiment a bit more. I am currently at 26" front, 26.5" rear. The front looks slightly too high on mine. 25.5" was what I had with my Eibachs and that was about perfect.

Who made your new lower control arms for you? Would they (or you) be willing to make a second set? The stock ones do seem out of place without the big springs in them.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:02 PM
JETPILOT

Hi Steve,

The lower control arm, and camber arms are made by Battle Version.

http://www.battleversion.com

Here is a pic of my whole suspension setup I'm running so you can have a better look at the arms. It's very nice to get rid of the stock arm which is uselss weight, and this one is adjustable legnth for precise toe adjustment. I am experimenting with length of the lower control arms and we haven't got it right yet. The next set he is sending will be a little longer. After I get the new ones I will let him know if they had enough adjustment or not. Then he can send you the right legnth. All the sperical bearing on the arms make a big difference in feel.

I'm really happy with the results of everything I did so far.

Respect
JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 08-03-2005 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:22 PM
knight_white99

Those arms look awesome, Larry. I can imagine that the spherical bearings help a lot vs. the stock rubber. Thanks for posting those and being the guinea pig (again). I'll be waiting to hear when you get the length right. It looks like you have a great setup there.

Have a great track day at Moroso. I won a few SCCA races there back in the early 1990's. I used to live only 10 miles from the track in Jupiter Farms, so I considered it my home track.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:06 PM
JETPILOT

I have driven around on these D2's for 4 days now. They are awesome! I have the damper set at full hard. In my opinion they are NO WAY too stiff. The 15/13 spring rates everyone was complaining about are fine on the street. They offer other spring rates but I wouldn't change them. These things kick @ss !! They are firm, but they are not jaring, and uncomfortable even at full hard. Body roll is geaty reduced. I haven't any noise from them as JIC, and Tein users experience. I love them.

What's your experience Steve? Have you tried the new spring rates?

Respect
JET
Old 08-07-2005, 09:21 PM
knight_white99

Hey, Larry. Glad to hear that you are happy with your setup now. Unfortunately, some personal issues prevented me from doing anything with the car this weekend. But I have tomorrow free to make some changes and play with settings.

So far, I have tried changing the springs to 11 kg front, 9 kg rear. The street ride is fantastic - so smooth you can't believe it. This would be a great set-up for someone just wanting to smooth out the stock harshness. But there is too much body roll (at least for me) with springs this light. Tomorrow I will be trying an in-between setting, using 13 kg front, 11 kg rear.

The one concern that I still have is that if you have to run the dampers on full hard all the time, that doesn't leave any other settings to adjust at the track. That bascially tells me that the dampening is too soft (or that the range is not wide enough). With my Tokicos, I have NEVER needed to run them at full hard, even at the track. I want to have enough adjustability in the dampening hardness to the point where I need to back off from full hard. With the 15/13 springs, I am looking for more dampening range.

I have heard some noise with these lower rate spring rates that I didn't hear with the 15/13 springs. Sounds like these springs are squeaking when they compress/uncompress. I don't hear anything when the road is smooth and the shocks are doing anything.

More to follow tomorrow....
Old 08-08-2005, 07:20 PM
knight_white99

Okay, news from the front. I tried the 13 kg front/11 kg rear springs today. The ride is noticeably stiffer and there is much less body roll than the 11kg/9kg setup. I tried full dampening in the rear - seems to be enough, but I will need a real track day to be sure. (I have an auto-x coming up this weekend.) I did nail one or two corners in second gear with full throttle with VDC off and the sucker just stayed planted as I cornered (and this is with the stock 18" wheels crappy Bridgerock tires). Normally, I would get some slide and slip from doing that.

I left the front dampening at one turn from full hard, and full hard in the rear (since that is where I have been having concerns). The ride in the rear at full hard is definitely stiff - not much compliance (so perhaps I can back off half a turn). I am getting just a small amount of bounce, but hard to tell if it is the fronts or the rears (the roads around here are lousy - I need the track to get proper feel for this). So far, this seems to be the best spring rate combo for what I am looking for. And the squeaky noise is gone with this spring combo.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:31 PM
dank311

JETPILOT -
Are your Front upper A arms, rear control arm, and rear tension rod all from battle version? If so, how much do they cost each? I didnt see the front camber arms on the battleversion web site.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:33 PM
JETPILOT

Knight White99

Did you get the new rear lower mounts?

Dank311

That's not a tension rod. What you see is the lower control arm. The rear lower control arm, and the camber arm are from Battle Version. They cost $550 for the set of 4 arms, but you ca nonly use them if you use a coilover in the rear which relocates the spring. The Battle Version site doesn't have everything he offers. Alex can fabricate anything you request.The fronts are 350Evo arms.

Respect
JET
Old 08-09-2005, 06:48 PM
knight_white99

Yes, Larry, I got the new lower rear mounts. In fact, I was a little worried, since with the rear drop that I wanted, they are sp short that not all of the threads were engaged. If they were 1/2" to 3/4" longer, that would be the right size. I think they are actually a bit short right now, at least for my purposes.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:35 AM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by knight_white99
Yes, Larry, I got the new lower rear mounts. In fact, I was a little worried, since with the rear drop that I wanted, they are sp short that not all of the threads were engaged. If they were 1/2" to 3/4" longer, that would be the right size. I think they are actually a bit short right now, at least for my purposes.
R u going to ask Noah for a third set? I thought we were out of the woods here. I guess not.

My shortened fronts will be comming this week. I will let you know what happens with them.

Respect
JET
Old 08-10-2005, 06:51 PM
racin

Larry, I have emailed you with some info. Glad to see the setup holds some promise...
Old 08-10-2005, 07:03 PM
G352NV

Is there a problem with these I should know about? Im ditching my JIC's and just bought a set of these. Do they not bolt up or something?
Old 08-10-2005, 07:59 PM
JETPILOT

If your lower rear mount is 10.5" long from top to bottom they won't lower the car more than 1/4"@ full drop. Better measure them. Check the pic I posted.

Respect
JET
Old 08-10-2005, 09:23 PM
G352NV

Does D2 have a fix for this?

Quick Reply: D2 Racing Coilovers