Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

D2 Racing Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 09:26 PM
G352NV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bad just reread your post! Do you have their phone # just in case my kit doesnt come with them. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-10-2005, 10:29 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

D2 does not have a fix yet. I am working with them to get things sorted out. I am waiting for new front lower mounts. They need to design and manufacture new front and rear lower mounts. I am waiting to try the first set of shorter fronts which should be here in the next 2 weeks. Depending on what height you are looking for the fronts might work for you. But you won't get more that 3/4" out of the front at full drop on the front, and 1/4" on the rear.

Respect
JET
Old 08-11-2005, 06:12 AM
knight_white99

R u going to ask Noah for a third set? I thought we were out of the woods here. I guess not.
Noah says that if there is more than half of the thread engaged, there should be no problems (though I am skeptical - he is a salesman, not a suspension engineer!). I asked about sending a set that was taller, and he said that if I wanted more threads I should use the original set that came with the shocks. This kind of upset me, since it seems like he is catering a lot more toward your needs than mine, even after I told him from the beginning that I thought I didn't need lower mounts as short as yours, and he told me that he would send me whatever I needed to fix the problem.

He says that he will send me the new front lower mounts when he sends yours. I think I would rather have new rear mounts than new front mounts at this point. I am about as low as I want to go in front already (25.5"), and I could go lower (24.75").
Old 08-12-2005, 05:58 PM
G352NV

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
If your lower rear mount is 10.5" long from top to bottom they won't lower the car more than 1/4"@ full drop. Better measure them. Check the pic I posted.

Respect
JET
Yep they came in today. They are 10 1/2 long! What now?
Old 08-12-2005, 06:14 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get in touch with Noah @ D2. http://www.d2racing.com/html/contact.html He is very helpful. You will definetly need new rear lower mounts, and likely fronts too. My front lower mounts are too long. I gave Noah front lower measurments, and he is fabricating new ones for me to try. If they work I will give him the thumbs up, and you can get them from him as well. Word is I should be getting the shortened lower front mounts in the next 2 weeks.

Word fron Steve (knight white99) is that with the new rear lower mounts all the threads are not engaging when it's at the desired ride height of about 26.5". I never checked this. This may be a concern if I want to raise the car up in the rear. I'll have to take it apart and have a look.

If you want something to bolt up, and forget? It won't happen until all this is sorted out. So you can either wait or returm. Once they are installed you will like them. They are sweet.

Respect
JET
Old 08-12-2005, 10:15 PM
racin

Jet, Sunday plans sound good to check it out. Just give me a jingle via my email phone #.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:34 PM
G352NV

Well put one on in the rear just to see how it would fit. Im at 27 1/2 Not very much lower then stock. I emailed them about the new parts. Ill post here when I get a reply. Thanks for the help, Steve
Old 08-14-2005, 09:57 PM
racin

I drove Jetpilot's car tonight and can say that the ride was acceptable to me, even over some rough spots in our normally very nicely paved roads. While you feel added taughtness, it seems that the shocks do absorb the motions in a fairly well controlled manner. If I would change anything at all, it would be (maybe) to adjust low speed rebound damping, but only just a real smidge. It was not harsh in any way, and I could live with it day to day. I'm fairly impressed so far. Didn't drive it in any way to be able to gauge the performance aspects, but I may have the opportunity to ride in it at speed soon, and learn some more.

Last edited by racin; 08-14-2005 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:47 AM
knight_white99

I had hoped to try the car out on a auto-x/track yesterday, but we got rained out.

Scheduled to try again this coming Sunday.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:15 PM
G352NV

Any info? They never emailed me back. I can drop the fronts to the turf! Now if I can just get the rear fixed!
Old 08-21-2005, 05:56 PM
knight_white99

And the verdict is...

EXCELLENT.

I had an auto-x today on a police training track (sort of a small 5/8 mile road circuit). The car handled very, very well. Not completely dialed in (no chance to play with settings), but from how the car felt with my first guess at setup, the suspension did a great job. There was essentially NO body roll. Very well controlled with hardly a hint of understeer unless I provoked it. The best part: I finally beat a guy in a Subaru WRX STi on raw time (that I have never beaten), by about 0.8 seconds. I don't believe that would have happened without this suspension. By the way, I was almost 4 seconds faster than a 2005 stock Z (but I don't know the driver's skill level) over about a one minute course. I think I might actually need to back off half a turn on the dampening setting to plant the rear a bit better for corner exit. But so far, I am very pleased.

This is still not the suspension to get if you just want to lower your car and improve the ride (too stiff for most daily driving, IMHO). But if you want to auto-x (or perhaps track days - still need to test that), IT WORKS.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:12 PM
racin

Very good to hear.