Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

JWT/VRT Built 350Z Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 11:37 AM
mraturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JWT/VRT Built 350Z Dyno

Hello,

We have just finished our customer's car, 350NV Silver 2003, and thought you would enjoy the dyno results straight from JWT. You can find more information on this car here...
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/167489-project-double-down-from-start-to-finish-part-two.html

Warmly,

Last edited by mraturbo; 01-27-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:55 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Mike but I already beat you to this post lol!
Old 01-27-2006, 01:39 PM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why does the torque drop down so low? also the torque is really high compared to the HP... restrictive exhaust?
Old 01-27-2006, 01:56 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by XBS
why does the torque drop down so low? also the torque is really high compared to the HP... restrictive exhaust?
First XBS, your car is sick. Great job.

To answer your question, it really doesn't fall off as much as you may think. The torque is just huge.

The car makes 450 plus torque almost throughout the entire power band.

Note: The WHP and torque were about equal until around 10 PSI. As soon as we went past to 11, 12, 13, to ONE BAR, the torque shot up like crazy. The turbos are small Garrett GT28s ball bearing, Oil and water cooled. They spool faster than other turbos on the market. We are very pleased that they can make this kind of power and torque at less than 14 PSI. However, pretty much at their complete capacity.

Warmly

Last edited by mraturbo; 01-27-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:29 PM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of exhaust is he running, I think if we were to get one of the 3" true dual exhausts that are comming out in the near future it would free about alot of horsepower, what are your thoughts on this? just throwing stuff out there. Thanks for the compliments, I try
Old 01-27-2006, 02:42 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by XBS
What kind of exhaust is he running, I think if we were to get one of the 3" true dual exhausts that are comming out in the near future it would free about alot of horsepower, what are your thoughts on this? just throwing stuff out there. Thanks for the compliments, I try
350NV has Injen. No Cats though. The cats made a staggering difference from USN's car, the last built set-up we did in December 2005. Our next car we will dyno next week will have the HKS with Tit tips/High Flow cats. We will see the difference real soon. The week after that we have a car with 3 inch plus with No Cats, aloha...

Old 01-27-2006, 02:46 PM
KTaylor

that will make a huge difference. the injen exhaust is way too restrictive for that amount of boost thats what i have right now but im getting a 3" put on monday. cant wait to see the changes. btw awesome numbers good job
Old 01-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by mraturbo
350NV has Injen. No Cats though. The cats made a staggering difference from USN's car, the last built set-up we did in December 2005. Our next car we will dyno next week will have the HKS with Tit tips/High Flow cats. We will see the difference real soon. The week after that we have a car with 3 inch plus with No Cats, aloha...

When he gets that 3" exhaust he will lose some tq. High tq is a sign of a restrictive exhaust. Regardless nice numbers.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:05 PM
tig488

damn, all that tq at 3800rpms, thats sick.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:45 PM
MIAPLAYA

Mike good seeing you again at Jim's today. That car is an animal for sure... BTW the only thing any bigger then the tires in the back are tank tracks
Old 01-27-2006, 04:02 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Mike good seeing you again at Jim's today. That car is an animal for sure... BTW the only thing any bigger then the tires in the back are tank tracks
For Sure,

Was cool catching up Mia. Glad you and Greg were present at JWT for the Dyno today, was the last one of the day thank god. Always tense.

IMO, helps to have a few outside witnesses just to insure these numbers weren't BS cause they are surely hard to believe. Just cat deleting was a huge step over USN's car. His were 475 WHP and 553 FT/LB Torque. USN, if you can hear me, get rid of the cats and enjoy your sick car over there in Maryland...

Anyway, Good looking and we hope to see you at Big Willow soon. If there any cool meets, let me know. As mentioned, my Roadster is gone and building my new track beast. I still have my daily driver, G35C. Got something coming special on her as well.

Seems crazy...Maybe a lil sad - It is unfortunate the last few cars we have built get finished, tuned, dynoed, and get shipped out the next day. Kinda like losing children. LOL

Peace

Old 01-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Aside from a restrictive exhuast, its very possible that the JWT/Garrett smaller turbocharger are producing much MORE airflow than the other kits in the midrange...thus resulting in big trq gains, without a corresponding WHP gain up top, where they are flowing less air at 14psi...vs. a Greddy or APS kit.

Essentially, imagine a turbo that flows 30lb/min, but it produces that at 2500rpm. vs. 5500rpm. In this case, you will have tremendous airflow and trq at low RPM, but insufficient airflow to sustain the high whp/trq all the way to redline...keeping in mind that the valves are open longer at low RPM operation.

Regardless, very nice work. The hallmarks of the JWT are very little turbo lag, and high trq very early in the powerband.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:15 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Thanks Sharif,

Says a lot coming from you.

Old 02-01-2006, 08:21 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
The hallmarks of the JWT are very little turbo lag, and high trq very early in the powerband.
I agree 100%. Every kit has it's strengths and weaknesses (if you want to call them that) and the strenght of the JWT is exactly as he stated. Of course for some, if it does get CARB, that would be nice as well.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:00 PM
overZealous1

mike will be getting one of my 3" systems here very soon. those torque numbers at 14psi are going to give you a car that is gunna be a handful. plus all the weight you have taken out of the car. will be a beast on turn exit. would be fun to watch you relearn how to drive the car.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:44 PM
AmyCroft

Smile Not just a Few - Many are waiting for a TT-Kit Calif Carb Cert

Originally Posted by zland
I agree 100%. Every kit has it's strengths and weaknesses (if you want to call them that) and the strenght of the JWT is exactly as he stated. Of course for some, if it does get CARB, that would be nice as well.

Not just a Few - Many are waiting for a TT-Kit Calif Carb Cert

More than a couple of hundred by our count..

God Speed - JWT

Cheers Amy -
Old 02-02-2006, 10:35 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by AmyCroft

God Speed - JWT

Cheers Amy -
It will be interesting to see if Jim Wolf's strategy pays off. He will be entering the VQ turbo market later than most, giving up sales to GReddy, APS, PE, TN, SFR etc., with the idea of getting CARB certification upon release. Of course there is the 2nd owner market meaning people that buy 350Z's used and want to mod them.

IMO, the group that feels CARB legal is important might not be the same group that likes the GReddy or TN. Of course there is some cross over shoppers but for many, the kit they own does best what they were going after.

It would be an interesting thread with the topic such as "I purchased ____ turbo kit but if I had to buy a kit again, I would buy a _____ kit because.....
Old 02-03-2006, 12:21 AM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by AmyCroft

God Speed - JWT

Cheers Amy -
+98239489391941

This is one of the main reasons why I've held back this long.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:40 AM
legend4life

Originally Posted by mraturbo

You guys are doing some great work.......any updates on those other setups with full exhausts?
Old 02-09-2006, 11:14 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

I though I subscribed to this thread but I guess I didn't lol. Thanks for the compliments on my car! The SVRTech 3" exhaust should be shipping out any day then it will get re-tuned and dynoed sometime between Feb. 26th and March 3rd.

Quick Reply: JWT/VRT Built 350Z Dyno