Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

X pipe or H pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 05:24 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X pipe or H pipe?

I have the INJEN STRAIGHT TIP EXHAUST right now and it is true dual. Would it be a advantage to have a X pipe or H pipe welded into the exhaust? Here is a link that i found. Now this is on a V8 and we have a V6, So i would assume its the same princible. What do you guys think?

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/0307vet_xpipe/

Later
Aceman
Old 05-08-2006, 05:44 PM
Jackhammer1979

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds pretty good to me, makes sense and would apply to a V6 as well since the lack of two extra cylinders in a V6 shouldnt make any difference.

Now just have to either find an X-pipe that can be put in place or have one custom made. Sounds like a good project to try out.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:19 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the reference.

At 6,000 rpm it looks like a horsepower gain of 2.3, and a torque gain of 2.3 pounds. No telling what effect it will have on the 350Z, but if it is only 2.5 and 2.5, I’m leaving my exhaust alone. There are other ways to match the same gains without Jerry rigging the exhaust system.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:30 PM
davidv

And to be efective don't you want the X-pipe as close to the engine as possible? With the Injen the resonators are in the way. Plenty of room after the resonators but I don't think that is an ideal location.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:44 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Originally Posted by davidv

And to be efective don't you want the X-pipe as close to the engine as possible? With the Injen the resonators are in the way. Plenty of room after the resonators but I don't think that is an ideal location.

Honestly, i dont know. But by the looks of the exhaust if you were going with a H pipe you would place it right after the cats and the X pipe would have to go after the resonators. But being that far down im not sure if it would be a benefit or not??

Thats why im trying to get people's opinions as to which would be better, the X pipe after the resonators or the H pipe before the resonators. I know the new exhaust Injen is coming out with has the H pipe, so i will atleast be getting that welded in.

Later
Aceman
Old 05-08-2006, 09:24 PM
rkd350z

X-pipe
Old 05-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Strife350z

afaik, i am the first and only person to have performed the x-pipe mod on the injen SES

what i did was replace the two resonator canisters with an x-muffler... that way the crossover piping is further upstream AND maintain the benefits of the X over an H

what you'll notice is improved low-end torque, a smoother/cleaner sounding idle and an overall change in exhaust note back to the signature VQ note (no more dual angry 3-cylinder sound)
Old 05-08-2006, 09:34 PM
Jackhammer1979

If you look at the injen exhaust it almost starts the X for you going from the cats to the resonators. all you are doing with the X pipe is increasing the paths for the exhaust to flow more smoothly. Not being an automotive engineer or anything but if you had the pipes connect as they came in towards each other before the resonators and then just connected the pipes at the point before the resonatore it would seem to reduce some of the effects of the bend in the pipe before it reaches the resonators by allowing the exhaust to flow directly across to the other pipe making a smoother flow along the exhaust.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Jackhammer1979

Originally Posted by Strife350z
afaik, i am the first and only person to have performed the x-pipe mod on the injen SES

what i did was replace the two resonator canisters with an x-muffler... that way the crossover piping is further upstream AND maintain the benefits of the X over an H

what you'll notice is improved low-end torque, a smoother/cleaner sounding idle and an overall change in exhaust note back to the signature VQ note (no more dual angry 3-cylinder sound)
got any pics, would love to see how you have it set up, personally I am not one for resonators and the X-pipe replacing them would be nice.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:44 PM
plumpzz

svrtech exhaust is dual 2.5 or 3' w/ an X pipe. I'll let you know how it sounds when I get it in next week sometime. I understand (from a friend who has a trans am), that an X pipe will stop all rasp, which is a good thing.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:29 AM
ACEMAN
Master

I would like to see some pics aswell, I am really considering doing this to my exhaust.

Any dyno's?? If i do get this done i will do a before and after. Because im a dyno junky

Later
Aceman
Old 05-09-2006, 05:22 PM
2 low Z

Not sure if it would be worth the cost, but you could remove the Injen canisters and replace it with something like a magnaflow preferated X pipe.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=596

EDIT: Sorry Strife350z, didn't read the post, I'm guessing that's what you did.

Originally Posted by plumpzz
svrtech exhaust is dual 2.5 or 3' w/ an X pipe. I'll let you know how it sounds when I get it in next week sometime. I understand (from a friend who has a trans am), that an X pipe will stop all rasp, which is a good thing.
Please post some sound clips, I'm looking at the 2.5 as well.

Last edited by 2 low Z; 05-09-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:54 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Found this one on the same site

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=436

Im not to worried about having it polished. Save $50 with the satin finish.

Might try and get this done sometime this month.

Later
Aceman
Old 05-10-2006, 02:08 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by aceman
Found this one on the same site

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=436

Im not to worried about having it polished. Save $50 with the satin finish.

Might try and get this done sometime this month.

Later
Aceman

Interesting. Now all you to figure out is if the X-muffler will fit under the car.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:14 PM
one350zfan

Titanjc had an h-pipe welded on his Ingen SES between the flange and resonator. Expect to pay around $40 although I would price out for stainless and do that if reasonable. He was most impressed by the way it removed some of the low rpm drone! However, he put helix TP's on after that and hated the tone. After reading this thread, I kind of like that idea of making that first section of piping an x pipe.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:19 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Originally Posted by davidv

Interesting. Now all you to figure out is if the X-muffler will fit under the car.
I see no reason why it would not. If im removing the two resonators that came with the Injen, then it should be cake.

Later
Aceman
Old 05-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Strife350z

Originally Posted by aceman
I see no reason why it would not. If im removing the two resonators that came with the Injen, then it should be cake.

Later
Aceman
Yes, that's exactly what i did, and exactly the muffler i went with.

I got the polished one though for bling

It fits like a glove if you simply slot it into the original location of the injen resonators
Old 05-10-2006, 03:34 PM
arejohn

Back in my younger days we painted the exhaust and added the connecting "H" pipe where the paint burned off first.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:50 PM
davidv

Yes, that's exactly what i did, and exactly the muffler i went with.

I got the polished one though for bling

It fits like a glove if you simply slot it into the original location of the injen resonators
Cool. Photos appreciated.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:15 PM
plumpzz

that muffler is awsome. i wish i knew about it before lol.

Quick Reply: X pipe or H pipe?