Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

For Nissan Techno buffs

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 05:05 PM
joselito76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i made my comment base on the mazdaspeed 3,I drove one and is a great car a lots of extras even navigation for only 23000$ or so.I am not saying is dirt cheap ,but I dont think it would increase the prize of a car for more than 3000$.I am just presuming. That technology is not so new any ways.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_direct_injection

Originally Posted by bruddahmatt
If it was so simple, cheap and easy to design and implement, it would be on every car on the market for the fuel savings alone let alone the performance advantages. Obviously...it isn't.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:23 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joselito76
i made my comment base on the mazdaspeed 3,I drove one and is a great car a lots of extras even navigation for only 23000$ or so.I am not saying is dirt cheap ,but I dont think it would increase the prize of a car for more than 3000$.I am just presuming. That technology is not so new any ways.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_direct_injection
One doesn't just update an engine with direct injection like it's a software update. To implement direct injection on the VQ, it would require either a unique cylinder head, or a unique block. VVEL already adds a bit of complexity to the cylinder head, and direct injection would just add to that.

TK

PS. For all you Tiesto fans, I hope you all realize that the DJ is just the face of the production team that is TIESTO. The team makes the music, he's the performer.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:33 PM
AIN'T SCARED

Here's a little factoid I got from Wikipedia:

The Chevy Cobalt SS 2 liter turbocharged dual overead cam inline 4 cylinder engine has DIRECT FUEL INJECTION!!

If Chevy can do it, why can't Nissan do it?!
Old 01-31-2009, 10:41 AM
ladyzed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crap the new Cobalt SS has it.

EDIT... I posted before I read the post above. lol
Old 03-02-2009, 06:42 AM
SergEK

Originally Posted by AIN'T SCARED
Here's a little factoid I got from Wikipedia:

The Chevy Cobalt SS 2 liter turbocharged dual overead cam inline 4 cylinder engine has DIRECT FUEL INJECTION!!

If Chevy can do it, why can't Nissan do it?!
Its not a matter of can or cant because Nissan clearly can

In the US the new OEM fuel standards will take effect and the avg mpg for the company has to come UP quite a bit --- Chevy needed MAJOR mpg gains so as a company they outfitted their small/medium size cars with DI to offset their crappy SUV/Truck mpg...their trucks also got more conservative base tunes which is why the Japanese have mage more progress on making more power .....notice Chevys new silverado campaign --- more mpg than their competitors (but the Japanese trucks woffle stomp them in acceleration) ...they need their AVG mpg to come up so considering how many trucks Chevy sells they needs BIG mpg payoffs.....DI was a surefire way to hit it

Since Chevy makes so many engines across so many platforms it paysoff in more of their models getting DI for less dollars...the V6 DI engine for example....same size as the VQ motor but the VQ makes more power on standard injection...not quite the mpg...but definetly more power

You have to change fuel delivery from the pump forward....rail pressure is as high as 100psi ...standard injectors would fail...so beef the rail, the lines, the injectors and design a head to take advantage of the better spray pattern....developing the head wouldnt be THAT hard but it wouldnt be cheap...

Nissans avg mpg is pretty good so there is no rush to bring DI to all their models just yet...I think VVEL on the exhaust cam side would be a better step in the right direction....with VVEL on both sides that motor would be even more fuel effiecient and make serious gains with tuning (300* duration available on both sides)...probably 350-370hp VQ from the factory

DI is a pain in the a** for tuners though as its harder to mod from my understanding --- much in the way retunless fuel rails posed hiccups for tuners --- people eventually find what works but there is more trial and error...

Nissan CAN do it....they just dont NEED to right now...talk the accountants
Old 05-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Hoooper

nissan has a DI system in JDM, but as already stated they cant implement that system in the US due to higher sulfur content in US gas. they will either need to change what they have or create a new system and at this point it isnt necessary. although it would be nice. im sure something is in the works to get it done. that or theyre waiting for our sulfur content to go down
Old 05-04-2009, 03:01 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoooper
nissan has a DI system in JDM, but as already stated they cant implement that system in the US due to higher sulfur content in US gas. they will either need to change what they have or create a new system and at this point it isnt necessary. although it would be nice. im sure something is in the works to get it done. that or theyre waiting for our sulfur content to go down
That won't be a problem for long - refineries have been building LSG units for the last couple of years.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Andrei

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DI is not good if you want to mod the car. Are you going to drill fuel lines in the intake manifold to add more fuel? Who is going to make DI aftermarket injectors and pumps? No one.