Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Build or buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 08:56 PM
Driftsluut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build or buy

Hey guys this is going to be a very detailed explanation so just bare with me please. I'm stuck between a hard place. Import parts pro sells custom made sleeves and bored blocks. The stage 2 block (the one I'm considering getting) is rated for 650hp. Bored .20 over, your choice of pistons, rods, and cams that they offer and whether or not you want the hr or just regular de. They sell the longblock (heads included torqued to spec with are head studs) for 4850$. I'm eventually going with the jwt tt kit with the hr transmission and hopefully a block that can withstand the revs and boost also. Would it be cheaper to buy their block and swap everything off my block over, or try to build my current block to be able to hold those 600 little ponies in going for. No, I don't have a budget. But who doesn't like to save a little money whenever they can. I also don't want to cheap out on it, and it will be a slow build beings it is my dd for now. Tried to include everything, forgive me if I missed a few specifications on the details
Old 10-04-2016, 05:11 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Might help to state what year and model Z you own...
Old 10-04-2016, 06:10 AM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

BUY!
The following users liked this post:
Driftsluut (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 03:33 PM
Driftsluut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any more thoughts on this? 03 touring
Old 10-04-2016, 04:16 PM
C1Forged
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From my experience on the subject, my advice would be to buy the pre-assembled long block if you're an in-experienced engine builder.

There are a lot of little touches/extra steps experienced engine builders have mastered that you wouldn't even know about if it were your first time. Those little touches could mean the difference of almost double the lifespan of the build, not to mention if you don't even have all the proper tools.

The only way I would recommend building it yourself, is if you want a tailor built block for your specific turbo/tune setup in regards to compression ratio, bore size, stroker/non-stroker, head work, and so on. The other way would be if you could pick up individual part sponsors to reduce cost, or you find a local shop that will offer a warranty with their block assemblies that will help you out if something goes wrong.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:30 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

You don't need a sleeved block for 600 hp. Just go with their most bare bones budget built motor and invest in L19 headstuds upgrade with an HR head gasket and you'll be fine for 600 (while your at it get a big cam to help get their with less boost, but of course that = more $$$). Just go with something like Eagle rods/CP pistons. If your sleeving the block I'd expect > 800.

You won't be saving that much in my opinion by getting your motor built locally vs. a package thru them. I'd just go with them and swap the motors to save on all the machine shop / engine assembly labor.
The following users liked this post:
Driftsluut (10-05-2016)