Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z In The Snow

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 06:17 AM
angelico

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z In The Snow

Hey quick question for those out there daring enough to drive the 350 in the snow. I have my jeep in the show today and its snowing up in Connecticut. Would anyone chance driving into work right now its got maybe 1/4" on the ground just enough to dust over but they are saying 2-4 Inches?

Will the 350 drive at all and will I be able to get up a hill back up into my complex? What does everyone think?
Old 03-02-2006, 06:18 AM
nsxster

I wouldn't chance it if I were you.

I used to have a 240SX, and that thing would spin even in the slightest rain.

Be safe and don't do something you could potentially regret.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:23 AM
Havok_RLS2

If your not rolling on a GOOD set of snow tires..... Keep it Parked.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:24 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

350Z + snow = hello telephone pole!
Old 03-02-2006, 06:27 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on your tires and driving skill level. If you can effectivly manage torque without getting too much wheel spin, then you can make OK. I usually turn TCS off in snow, as added control is needed when climbing hills. Its just like climbing a muddy hill in your jeep, steady, constant power will ease you up mosst surfaces under 40 degrees. Over that, the weight on an ice-slick surface usually will keep you from climbing it.

Also, Gravel gets better traction in ice than pavement, if the road has a low shoulder, use the side for at least one wheel to get traction.

When it comes to tires, summer tires are horrible in snow, even a light dusting can leave you sliding sideways. Even a cheap all season is a world better.

Last edited by sq40; 03-02-2006 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:28 AM
angelico

Ya I guess I will stay in, I just though being March I would be all done with the Snow B/S. Ya I usto have a 300zx drove in the snow a few times when I got jammed up, but I just took my time and it was just...ok but I didnt live on a hill then I dont think I will be able to get back up in the 350
Old 03-02-2006, 06:30 AM
nsxster

Originally Posted by angelico
Ya I guess I will stay in, I just though being March I would be all done with the Snow B/S. Ya I usto have a 300zx drove in the snow a few times when I got jammed up, but I just took my time and it was just...ok but I didnt live on a hill then I dont think I will be able to get back up in the 350
LOL that's why I live in AZ

I can drive my NSX pretty much anytime I feel like, but since I'm so busy it's sitting in the garage gathering dust as if it were in the snow belt.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:30 AM
juniortheo

Don t even think about it,i live in montreal quebec, and use my jeep for the winter as well, my z is stored away in my garage,i ve tried to take out a couple of times when its nice to get the engine running, but i cant get it out ve my driveway,it wont climb it and it s not that steep,even with winter tires,dont chance it dude..
Old 03-02-2006, 06:43 AM
june

Hey quick question for those out there daring enough to drive the 350 in the snow. I have my jeep in the show today and its snowing up in Connecticut. Would anyone chance driving into work right now its got maybe 1/4" on the ground just enough to dust over but they are saying 2-4 Inches?

Will the 350 drive at all and will I be able to get up a hill back up into my complex? What does everyone think?
I also live in CT. I stayed home. I would drive my Altima to work if I absolutely had to, but the Z? The Z is not, *is not* a wet weather, ice or snow friendly car. The torque is way too high and the weight differential to the rear wheels is waaaayyy too low. The only way I could see driving it in the snow, is if it had knobby tires (front and rear) and two 200 lb. men in the back...just in case I needed to stop for coffee and needed someone to push me out of the snowbank on the side of the roadway.
Attachment 98091
BRRRRRRRR.......please let summer begin.

Last edited by june; 03-02-2006 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:03 AM
angelico

hahhaa, what part of CT you from. Im North Haven
Old 03-02-2006, 07:04 AM
june

hahhaa, what part of CT you from. Im North Haven
Stratford.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:05 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by june
I also live in CT. I stayed home. I would drive my Altima to work if I absolutely had to, but the Z? The Z is not, *is not* a wet weather, ice or snow friendly car. The torque is way too high and the weight differential to the rear wheels is waaaayyy too low. The only way I could see driving it in the snow, is if it had knobby tires (front and rear) and two 200 lb. men in the back...just in case I needed to stop for coffee and needed someone to push me out of the snowbank on the side of the roadway.
Attachment 98091
BRRRRRRRR.......please let summer begin.
I think I read somewhere that the knobby tires and 200lb men will be an option for the '08 models, but who knows???
Old 03-02-2006, 07:10 AM
june

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
I think I read somewhere that the knobby tires and 200lb men will be an option for the '08 models, but who knows???

Now THAT is a kewl idea!!! Attachment 98094
Old 03-02-2006, 07:12 AM
Clapton9286

Take it out to an empty lot with snow in it and practice..any RWD for that matter. Although i do not stress snow driving, its better to know how, safely, than to just go at it without practice.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:28 AM
june

Originally Posted by Clapton9286
Take it out to an empty lot with snow in it and practice..any RWD for that matter. Although i do not stress snow driving, its better to know how, safely, than to just go at it without practice.
I would first have to get it out of the garage and onto the road. I think I would rather buy an SUV for those kinds of things....really. I don't think driving the Z in snow or ice is worth the risk. It is not meant for that type of driving unless it is specifically equipped for "off road".

look...the snow is getting deeper already...
Attachment 98095
Old 03-02-2006, 09:03 AM
Bottom

I drive in the Z in the snow all the time, but I have a good set of snow tires on during the winter months. I'm dumb like that though. Even with the snow tires, hills are still some what of a challange. Call in sick today, you deserve a day off.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:21 AM
june

Originally Posted by Bottom
I drive in the Z in the snow all the time, but I have a good set of snow tires on during the winter months. I'm dumb like that though. Even with the snow tires, hills are still some what of a challange. Call in sick today, you deserve a day off.
If the Z was designed for snow they wouldn't have made it so low to the ground, of course unless they would have put paddlewheels on it and called it a toboggan. haha. My chin spoiler bottoms out on dry pavement...that should say something. The tires cover a larger ground surface than most...that means that the weight per square inch is less than most. The Z's are not good for gripping the road in that aspect, aside from having a high torque revvup engine. I keep being reminded of all the classic cars, and all those beautiful machines that people have maintained through the years. You won't find them out in this kind of weather unless there was a real good reason for it. I want to keep mine until I am ready to retire and the payments are all done. Gosh!!! Will I ever??? LOL

Attachment 98111
if the snow gets any deeper I might have to drive it to the store to buy a snow shovel...darn...I hope not!

Last edited by june; 03-02-2006 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:25 AM
jmagilto

Default The Z is a pretty decent car in the snow.....

I have blizzaks and can get around anywhere just fine. LSD in the back helps. I would not recomend driving in the snow on the summer tires however. You can get stuck in 1in of snow on a level surface with that setup.

Take Care and Drive Safe
jer

PS. I also drive my showroom condition 65mustang in the snow. I have for the last 25 years. Track-Lok and Snow tires. Its great!
Cars are meant to be driven. (you just have to remember wash off the salt)

Last edited by jmagilto; 03-02-2006 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:39 AM
keith97

don't even think about driving Z in the snow... that's all i can say...
Old 03-02-2006, 09:41 AM
Clapton9286

I've driven on surface snow no problem with the Potenza's..it just takes a lot of care; I'm a huge advocate of people learning how to properly drive a vehicle before they get one, and this is def true.

Btw jmag, how about that "ice" outside. All I see is rain, rain, and more rain up here at Temple!

Quick Reply: 350z In The Snow